Raiders player signing speculation 2015

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:01 am
It seems like Papa has been playing hooker at times anyway. Put him on the bench.
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player:
Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:11 am
edwahu wrote:It seems like Papa has been playing hooker at times anyway. Put him on the bench.

Or just bring campo back, he loved getting into hooker and casually passing one off the ruck for 4 tackles a set
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 12:38 pm
chris83 wrote:
edwahu wrote:It seems like Papa has been playing hooker at times anyway. Put him on the bench.

Or just bring campo back, he loved getting into hooker and casually passing one off the ruck for 4 tackles a set

Buttriss was hooker so thats 100% ok from Campo
Edrick The Entertainer
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:17 pm
edwahu wrote:
simo wrote:Played prop? Or lock?

Lock

Doesnt really matter, they are virtually the same position for how we play our lock.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:27 pm
Pigman wrote:
edwahu wrote:

Lock

Doesnt really matter, they are virtually the same position for how we play our lock.

Its the same with most teams these days. Most teams are either going with a genuine extra prop, or a 'mobile' prop. The days of the ball playing lock seem to have gone. The ball players have been moved to the edges.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:33 pm
Pigman wrote:
julian87 wrote:If we make no more signings than a prop I'd pick Williams there. Can play hooker if need be at a stretch and come into the halves if we're chasing points. Stuart won't be able to use the bench effectively anyway.

I know you enjoy floating really out the box suggestions but that's one of the worst ones yet

I don't see anything to suggest Williams can play hooker, defensively it would be too much, and he's a ball player and kicker, can't run the ball a lick. What sort of impact would you hope to get from him off the bench?

That's a real "ooooof" moment

He's not as much a bench hooker as a bench utility if he plays 14 in the way I'd pick a team next year. He'd only play hooker if Hodgson was absolutely gassed or injured. If we were winning closely he probably wouldn't play at all. If we were winning comfortably he can be used to give key playmakers a rest. If we're chasing points he comes on at right or left half, we drop a middle third forward and play both Austin and Wighton roaming.

Ricky Stuart has pretty much proved incapable of using 4 bench players and 10 interchanges. 4 and 8 will make it even harder for him. #14 as it is becoming known will be an insurance pick IMO. Baptiste only covers hooker and Stuart seems dead against 2 dummy halves on the field at once.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
Yep except the first charge off the kickoff. And prop is a higher intensity, efforts per min position (uness youre fpn). Again. Just because you think someone can play a position, doesnt mean they can
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:38 pm
julian87 wrote:
Pigman wrote:
julian87 wrote:If we make no more signings than a prop I'd pick Williams there. Can play hooker if need be at a stretch and come into the halves if we're chasing points. Stuart won't be able to use the bench effectively anyway.

I know you enjoy floating really out the box suggestions but that's one of the worst ones yet

I don't see anything to suggest Williams can play hooker, defensively it would be too much, and he's a ball player and kicker, can't run the ball a lick. What sort of impact would you hope to get from him off the bench?

He's not as much a bench hooker as a bench utility if he plays 14 in the way I'd pick a team next year. He'd only play hooker if Hodgson was absolutely gassed or injured. If we were winning closely he probably wouldn't play at all. If we were winning comfortably he can be used to give key playmakers a rest. If we're chasing points he comes on at right or left half, we drop a middle third forward and play both Austin and Wighton roaming.

Ricky Stuart has pretty much proved incapable of using 4 bench players and 10 interchanges. 4 and 8 will make it even harder for him. #14 as it is becoming known will be an insurance pick IMO. Baptiste only covers hooker and Stuart seems dead against 2 dummy halves on the field at once.

Your argument is sound.
I still cant see it happening.

I don't think it will be long before the likes of League and Cricket use the 12th/ 18th man as injury insurance. As in, if player X is ruled out because of injury, then and only then can this player come into contention. Which means you pick 4 players you intend on using in whatever manner you wish, and that the utility player becomes the 12th/ 18th man.

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 2:38 pm
julian87 wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Well if that's your reasoning, I'd rather go with baptiste. A guy who has played hooker and half and can defend in the middle, instead of an organizing half.

All of your other points baptiste covers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player:
Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 2:41 pm
bonehead wrote:
chris83 wrote:

Buttriss was hooker so thats 100% ok from Campo

100% agree.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 6:01 pm
All of our problems would be solved in Fenno could play a little 9 when needed.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 6:08 pm
Bennyinthewest wrote: A guy who has played hooker and half and can defend in the middle, instead of an organizing half.

Yeah Baptiste absolutely can't play half. He would've this year if he could.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 6:52 pm
Don't really know where to put this but **** we dodged a bullet by not signing Glenn Stewart. So many people were dirty we didn't offer the extra year but he is such an ordinary footy player right now.

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 7:10 pm
julian87 wrote:
Bennyinthewest wrote: A guy who has played hooker and half and can defend in the middle, instead of an organizing half.

Your opinion. I'd rather pick a guy who's played there than play a halfback who is a poor defender and never played hooker b4. But anyway I doubt either of them will get the 14
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 8:57 pm
julian87 wrote:Don't really know where to put this but **** we dodged a bullet by not signing Glenn Stewart. So many people were dirty we didn't offer the extra year but he is such an ordinary footy player right now.

Yep, he's been hopeless this year.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 5:45 am
Rabbitohs are telling him to look elsewhere already too :lol:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 6:46 am
Do any 30+ forward signings work out? Watmough was a disaster too.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 8:25 am
edwahu wrote:Do any 30+ forward signings work out? Watmough was a disaster too.

I think signing backrowers over the age of 30 is gambling.

Plenty of props flourish over 30 though. The Warriors signed Steve Price at 31 and some of the footy he played for them is the best the NRL has ever seen from a front row forward.
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 9:08 am
edwahu wrote:Do any 30+ forward signings work out? Watmough was a disaster too.

Scott Logan
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 10:46 am
julian87 wrote:

Baptiste can play half better than Sam Williams can defend in the middle, so that's your answer.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 10:50 am
Matt wrote:
Pigman wrote:
edwahu wrote:

Lock

Its the same with most teams these days. Most teams are either going with a genuine extra prop, or a 'mobile' prop. The days of the ball playing lock seem to have gone. The ball players have been moved to the edges.

Anyone else see that cut out pass that TPJ threw to set up a try against paramatta last week? A pass any playmaker would be proud of. Think we have a future lock there with a great set of hands and judging by the way he scored his try by running through a bunch of defenders he is closer to the NRL than I thought he was.
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 11:02 am
Edwards isn't a good enough player to worry about finding a place for.

You could get away with a smaller more mobile pack, by its going to catch up with you. Even with the speed of the game you need some bigger bodies in the middle who take some stopping. Edwards isn't that either.

Boyd is really going to be our only big prop. Vaughan is close, but playing devils advocate I'll leave him out.
All the top teams have a big prop who makes metres after impact constantly and take 3-4 to bring them down. Parker, Bromwich, tamou, burgess, Scott, JWH, Moa, kasiano ect.
It leaves a lot of pressure on Boyd. We are relying on him a lot next year.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 11:10 am
Beejay wrote:
julian87 wrote:

Baptiste can play half better than Sam Williams can defend in the middle, so that's your answer.

Nah.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 11:24 am
From foxsports

"SSHHHH

Which club offered Canterbury a player swap in a bid to get Greg Eastwood?

The Bulldogs were not interested and politely declined.

Eastwood comes off contract next year."

Maybe we tried the Brenko swap on again?

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 11:50 am
I would definitely make the Willis Meehan signing, He's a first grade player and possibly a dominant first grade prop if you get his head right. Lure him with the option of boxing training with Olympic coaches at the AIS and work on his discipline off the field and we have a gun player.

My guess is that the Roosters are doing a Jake Friend by sacking him and keeping him out of sight for a while before resigning him but defiantly worth a shot.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 12:04 pm
Raidernation wrote:I would definitely make the Willis Meehan signing, He's a first grade player and possibly a dominant first grade prop if you get his head right. Lure him with the option of boxing training with Olympic coaches at the AIS and work on his discipline off the field and we have a gun player.

My guess is that the Roosters are doing a Jake Friend by sacking him and keeping him out of sight for a while before resigning him but defiantly worth a shot.

This is a gamble styled pick up. I actually don't mind it, but dollars are very important in this sort of trade because its a gamble. Given Ricky's "no BS" policy, I cant see it happen.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 12:06 pm
edwahu wrote:From foxsports

"SSHHHH

Which club offered Canterbury a player swap in a bid to get Greg Eastwood?

The Bulldogs were not interested and politely declined.

Eastwood comes off contract next year."

Maybe we tried the Brenko swap on again?

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if this was the original deal.
Perhaps Tolman is the new deal. At this point, id hope it was for Leilua not Brenko. I think both our centres are very similar players, but Brenko is younger, at this point id punt on the youth.

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 12:09 pm
Matt wrote:
Raidernation wrote:I would definitely make the Willis Meehan signing, He's a first grade player and possibly a dominant first grade prop if you get his head right. Lure him with the option of boxing training with Olympic coaches at the AIS and work on his discipline off the field and we have a gun player.

This is a gamble styled pick up. I actually don't mind it, but dollars are very important in this sort of trade because its a gamble. Given Ricky's "no BS" policy, I cant see it happen.

I think its long odds too Matt but I would bet on talent and the kid has plenty of talent. The kid cant be on big dollars so considering the players we have let go I cant image we couldn't fit him in and if he does stuff up sack him. As long as the rules are explained and the consequences for breaking the rules than the rest is on him.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 6:55 pm
Raidernation wrote:All of our problems would be solved in Fenno could play a little 9 when needed.

Would he be any worse than Tongue?
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 2:53 pm
Manbush wrote:
Raidernation wrote:All of our problems would be solved in Fenno could play a little 9 when needed.

Would he be any worse than Tongue?

I have no idea but if Hodgo is playing 80 we just need someone who can fill in for concussion or injury for a game. I couldn't think of anyone more suited purely size wise or ability to defend the middle. It would also give him versatility for rep honors which would be good for him also. His size and athletic ability hurts him so having some versatility may just open up a spot if josh jackson was to get injured.

But it all depends on weather he can do it or is willing to do it and only RS and Fenno would know that.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 7:47 pm
I don't see why fenno can't learn to get into DH and pass off the ground, we've had some spuds doing the same thing before for our first choice and if it's only an emergency on game day then surely he could do it.

Simon Woolford
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 5:56 am
Austin could play a role at dummy half if required. While conceptually, its illogical to place one of your most damaging runners at 9, justin hodges is a player Austin can be likened to. I think he could offer plenty if hodgson were to go down. I also have a feeling that he played their at the tigers a fair bit last year. Heck, according to supercoach he was a joint 5/8 and hooker!

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 7:30 am
Austin was actually really good at 9 when he played there for Wests.

I'm a bit concerned with his form toward the end of the season.

Not only was he having quite games, but he was actually having dreadful games by overplaying his hand and being over reliant on his running game.

Hopefully he can work on his passing game and to a lesser extent his kicking game in the off-season.

When teams shut down his running game, he became pretty ineffective.

Still love the bloke. Keen to see him partner Sezer in '16.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 7:55 am
DJ89 wrote:Austin was actually really good at 9 when he played there for Wests.

I'm a bit concerned with his form toward the end of the season.

Not only was he having quite games, but he was actually having dreadful games by overplaying his hand and being over reliant on his running game.

Hopefully he can work on his passing game and to a lesser extent his kicking game in the off-season.

When teams shut down his running game, he became pretty ineffective.

Still love the bloke. Keen to see him partner Sezer in '16.

Austin went from being a relatively unknown bench player at the tigers to the peoples choice best 5/8th in the game. It isn't easy to handle that kind of pressure and expectation.

What makes JT the best half in the world is his ability to play what's in front of him AND his ability to stick to the game plan and the set structures. He also makes the right choice most of the time.

Austin is a rookie but if he can learn to create for others as well as he creates for himself he will be unstoppable over the next 3 or 4 years.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 8:34 am
I love the Sezer/Austin combination. Very complementary skills.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders