Canberra Raiders sign Aidan Sezer on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Simon Woolford
Favourite Player:
Big Mal
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 10:01 pm
julian87 wrote:I'm still sort of beside myself when thinking about where our recruitment has got to. For half a decade or more this club made some of the worst recruitment decisions imaginable. We were very much hooked into buying discards on big coin with a good career on paper from winning clubs thinking they'd improve the situation. We signed a few players who I'd long thought were absolute pretenders and they really stagnated at Canberra.

But for Stuart to have recruited the two young halves I rate higher than any other blokes in the game in their roles is just amazing. To be swimmingly confident about where this team is going on field is just a completely foreign feeling. As pigman said earlier on this page we were championing Austin months, probably more, before the rumours even started. And even then I think neither of us dared to actually read into it in case of such enormous possibly let down. What he's done for the team and joint has been tremendous. In less than a year. And I've championed Sezer for seasons. With Albert Kelly being a local and fav of mine I've always followed him and when he first partnered Sezer I was so impressed by Aidan. He's got so much potential and running the show at such a rotting club has had most pundits just shrugging him off. He's shown more than several blokes who've played Origin in his position of late IMO. Then when the whole halves merry-go-round thing started I said 'whoever ends up with Sezer will be the real winner'. When we signed him I was just astounded.

Pretty much those impressed by Sezer the other night should know he's been playing like that for quite some time.

Nailed it
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 10:20 pm
Sorry, Sezer has to earn his stripes at the Raiders, which Jarrod Croker has already done. You don't insult the Raiders captain in this way, when he's performing at top level.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 10:49 pm
julian87 wrote:I'm still sort of beside myself when thinking about where our recruitment has got to. For half a decade or more this club made some of the worst recruitment decisions imaginable. We were very much hooked into buying discards on big coin with a good career on paper from winning clubs thinking they'd improve the situation. We signed a few players who I'd long thought were absolute pretenders and they really stagnated at Canberra.

But for Stuart to have recruited the two young halves I rate higher than any other blokes in the game in their roles is just amazing. To be swimmingly confident about where this team is going on field is just a completely foreign feeling. As pigman said earlier on this page we were championing Austin months, probably more, before the rumours even started. And even then I think neither of us dared to actually read into it in case of such enormous possibly let down. What he's done for the team and joint has been tremendous. In less than a year. And I've championed Sezer for seasons. With Albert Kelly being a local and fav of mine I've always followed him and when he first partnered Sezer I was so impressed by Aidan. He's got so much potential and running the show at such a rotting club has had most pundits just shrugging him off. He's shown more than several blokes who've played Origin in his position of late IMO. Then when the whole halves merry-go-round thing started I said 'whoever ends up with Sezer will be the real winner'. When we signed him I was just astounded.

Pretty much those impressed by Sezer the other night should know he's been playing like that for quite some time.

+1
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: August 4, 2015, 11:07 pm
Pigman wrote:How about this for a revolutionary idea, if i were a coach, id have an underling go back and plot every kick each of them took over their careers (including u20's if they had the footage) and chart their percentge based on these zones:
(i took the dimensions from Wiki, so apolgies if they are incorrect but you get the point)

Zone 1: Left hand side, touch line to 5 metres in
Zone 2: Left hand side, 5 metres in to 15 metres in
Zone 3: Left hand side, 15 metres in to 30 metres in
Zone 4: In front/adjacent to the posts either side
Zone 5: Right hand side, 15 metres in to 30 metres in
Zone 6: Right hand side, 5 metres in to 15 metres in
Zone 7: Left hand side, touch line to 5 metres in

And i'd give the kick to whomever has the best % pending on where we scored the try. In the case of in front, where both are probably 100%, i'd go with the incumbent.
I reckon with two of the best goal kickers in the game we could have a kicking % as a team at around 90-93% if we adopted this approach. That's a pretty good competitive advantage over a season.

You'd think it'd particularly work well if there's evenly matched goal kickers who are right and left foot kickers (I know Sezer and Croker are both left foot)

Left foot kicker to pot shots from RHS of the posts, right foot kicker to kick goals from LHS of the posts (aim at far post, curl it back in)
Kicks from right in front can go to anyone (except Laurie Daley in an Australian Jersey).
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 7:42 am

Well said.

All those years we were told we couldn't attract quality players through recruitment so it wasn't really worth trying..... :roflmao

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Fensom
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 10:47 am
Good when he is on the park. Nothing exceptional as other posters are suggesting. The biggest minus in signing him is that we3 are only going to get about 10-12 games a year out of him. It seems he is made of glass.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 11:10 am
BluntForce wrote:Good when he is on the park. Nothing exceptional as other posters are suggesting. The biggest minus in signing him is that we3 are only going to get about 10-12 games a year out of him. It seems he is made of glass.

Debuted in Rd 7 of 2012. Played 18 games. With Byes, that's the rest of the yr.
2013 played 22 games. Ill assume that's only missing 2.
2014 only played 13. Ok that's not great.
2015 has played 16 of a possible 21... well, 19 including byes. Missed 3 so far.

Yep... glass!
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 11:13 am
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 11:17 am
Matt wrote:
BluntForce wrote:Good when he is on the park. Nothing exceptional as other posters are suggesting. The biggest minus in signing him is that we3 are only going to get about 10-12 games a year out of him. It seems he is made of glass.

Debuted in Rd 7 of 2012. Played 18 games. With Byes, that's the rest of the yr.
2013 played 22 games. Ill assume that's only missing 2.
2014 only played 13. Ok that's not great.
2015 has played 16 of a possible 21... well, 19 including byes. Missed 3 so far.

Yep... glass!

Yeah, Matty!! Sit back down, Bluntforce.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 11:20 am
Thanks chaps
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 12:21 pm

This post excites me more than anything else I've read on Sezer. Keen for 2016.
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 12:40 pm
If croker was going to the Gold Coast and sezer staying and I was a titans fan and say the same thing, work out the best kicker and going with him.

Just because a job has been done well in the past doesn't mean it cant be done better by a different or the same person.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Raps
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 1:29 pm
There's no way you sign with another club expecting to be handed the goal kicking duties when they have one of the top goal kickers in the comp. Croker will remain the kicker and as Sezer will be trying to settle in to a new club it would probably be for the best for him to not have the pressure of kicking goals.
#The Clap #The Team #The Vibe
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 1:40 pm
Fair Cop wrote:There's no way you sign with another club expecting to be handed the goal kicking duties when they have one of the top goal kickers in the comp. Croker will remain the kicker and as Sezer will be trying to settle in to a new club it would probably be for the best for him to not have the pressure of kicking goals.

U might not expect it, doesn't mean you don't get them.
Given he kicks for his club now, its no added pressure to him here either. His weekly routine and game routine wont change.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 1:51 pm
Does croker even like kicking?
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Blake Ferguson
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 1:59 pm
zim wrote:
simo wrote:I dont know whether its because im a raiders supporter and not a titans supporter, but i feel a lot more confident that sezer will knock it over the posts then i do with croker. Id like to see some stats on percentage converted from different spots. Perhaps in pie chart form. Thanks matt

I feel the same way too but I think it is because we remember 1 or 2 tigers games where his miss has really cost us.

he, like sezar, is a human. nonsense about others posting he isn't a good centre either
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 2:14 pm
simo wrote:Does croker even like kicking?

G94, can you ask him?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 2:16 pm
semaj97 wrote:
zim wrote:
simo wrote:I dont know whether its because im a raiders supporter and not a titans supporter, but i feel a lot more confident that sezer will knock it over the posts then i do with croker. Id like to see some stats on percentage converted from different spots. Perhaps in pie chart form. Thanks matt

I feel the same way too but I think it is because we remember 1 or 2 tigers games where his miss has really cost us.

he, like sezar, is a human. nonsense about others posting he isn't a good centre either

Not 100% sure on what you're trying to say here?
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 3:01 pm
Toviii wrote:
simo wrote:Does croker even like kicking?

G94, can you ask him?

:D leave it with me...
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Williams > Sezer
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 4:45 pm
Croker's a better kicker. Easy

John Ferguson

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 4:58 pm
Punch up in Belconnen mall first Saturday morning of February.

That's how to decide it.
Watch the crowds flock in for that one baby!
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Raps
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 5:01 pm
Let me know when Sezer actually has a pressure kick that means something.
#The Clap #The Team #The Vibe

David Shillington

Favourite Player:
Blake austin
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 5:13 pm
Seriously? The blokes not even here yet. Lets kick the leagues top point scorer to the curb. So much for team harmony. The only way croker looses his job is if he dosnt want it.

Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 5:23 pm
Croker has nailed so many clutch kicks since the one he missed against the Tigers, this year alone he's made the kick to give us the lead or tie us up numerous times.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 5:25 pm
BVRaider wrote:Croker has nailed so many clutch kicks since the one he missed against the Tigers, this year alone he's made the kick to give us the lead or tie us up numerous times.

His kicking was the reason we even made the finals in 2010, he's gotten much better since then as well.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 6:51 pm
Manbush wrote:Remember when Mal and Furner were our best kickers, how times have changed.

Mal had an ability to miss from in front when it didn't matter, then nail one for the win from the sideline in a force ten gale on a wet day.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 7:30 pm
Toe poking
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 8:01 pm
BJ wrote:
Manbush wrote:Remember when Mal and Furner were our best kickers, how times have changed.

Mal had an ability to miss from in front when it didn't matter, then nail one for the win from the sideline in a force ten gale on a wet day.

Furner was way better than Mal.

I was never confident in Mal's kicking ability.

I remember how nervous I was when he had to kick the goal in the 89 GF after Chicka scored to send the game to extra time.

Belcher actually had a season kicking when Mal was out with his broken arm and did a great job.
David Furner
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 9:28 pm
Daley kicked for a season too. And I'd forgotten Matt Wood was kicking in 1990. So we actually had quite a record of swapping kickers. Maybe none of them were that good!

I wasn't nervous in 89. I was too drunk. I was nervous watching replays the next few weeks, though.

John Ferguson

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 9:32 pm
I remember whenever Daley kicked I was never confident, goal, line kicking or general play.

Any stats on his success rate Matt ?

Also agree that should be at least two sets of stats in relation to out wide or in front...ish
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 9:38 pm
He missed one from in front in a test that nearly hit the corner post.

It's been played in footy shows that many times
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 9:45 pm
I always remember a game in 1989 against the Dogs Daley landed them from everywhere and also the semi final in Super League vs Penrith when Furner got injured early on.
In Ricky We Trust
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 5, 2015, 10:13 pm
Brew wrote:I always remember a game in 1989 against the Dogs Daley landed them from everywhere and also the semi final in Super League vs Penrith when Furner got injured early on.

That is one of my favourite ever Raiders games. The atmosphere was thick and then AWESOME!
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 6, 2015, 5:46 am
I think it's fair to say that whoever is kicking goals for us next year is probably the last thing our coach will be worried about next season. By a decent margin.

Seriously, who cares?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 6, 2015, 6:55 am
It's probably one of the biggest first world NRL problems you could have :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders