Ricky Stuart re-signs to end 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 9:03 pm
Spot on so far, GE. Nailed it, in fact absolutely summed up my thoughts.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 9:04 pm
good one echoes
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 9:15 pm
If we brought in somebody who knew something about defence it would be great too
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 9:31 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Raidernation wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Raidernation wrote:For everyone who thinks our attack is awesome and our defence is shocking can I just say that they have both increased at the same rate from last year. Our defence is 80 odd points better than last year and so is our attack. Considering personnel changes from last year to this year and from rd1 to now our defence really has improved. I would say with a full off season and players playing in their position we should see similar defensive increases next year if not greater.

But we measure the attack and defence by what other teams do. The best teams have a big gap between the two. Objectively, the Raiders do have great attack, they are a top four team in attack. They are a bottom four team in defence. The defence needs to improve by a LOT more to match top teams, even top eight teams.

I agree that our defence needs a lot of improvement but I think most reasonable people would agree with me that if there was another team with a starting winger who hadn't played professionally for 5 years, another winger playing his first full season, a centre in waqa who had only ever played wing, a 6 who had only played a handful of games in the position, a fullback in his first full season in the position and the Cornish Williams experiment, tilse being the starting prop for half of the season, despite all of that the team scored a try and saved a try each and every game this season from where they were last season which I think is a success.

In saying the above I will add one caveat, all of this is based on the fact that Ricky had to tear apart a bog average team and start again not with seasoned campaigners but for the most part rookies in their positions and I don't envy that situation at all. I would think next year with a stable 1-17 we might actually get to see what Ricky, Crawley and dean pay can actually do and I think many people may be susprised. What most people won't remember is all the work that was put in this year to get the defence right that you don't see on TV.

On the other hand we get worse next year and sack Ricky :hi

Well I'm often criticised on this forum for being too much of a Ricky Stuart supporter. But we certainly cannot call 2015 a success.

The worst EVER home record. That's worse than a park footy team in 1982. I'll repeat that... worse than what was essentially a park footy team in 1982.

I personally don't say any season is a success if the team doesn't win the premiership. Barely avoiding the wooden spoon is not a successful season. Missing the top eight is not a successful season. Sorry, just cannot agree that what's happened is a "success". Progress maybe.

I know Ricky Stuart has said that the team's football has progressed further than he expected. It's not a high benchmark in this case. I think making the eight would have been good progress.

Perhaps wrong wording, progress is more apt than success.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 9:19 pm
Well Furner gets at least half a point over Stuart for that one :p
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 9:23 pm
Stuart has a premiership of his own
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 9:36 pm
Let's not do this, eh?
Furner failed to get the results he needed here and Stuart is now getting his shot to return his former club to glory

None of that is in anyway relevant to tonight's result other than to say I know David Furner to be a really great guy, who did not have the best last few years either professionally or personally with his wife's health, and I'm happy to see him on the winners side tonight
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 9:43 pm
You are 100% correct pigman. Great guy, good football brain and a credit to his family of every generation.

Looks like one of those guys who is a better assistant coach than being the main man.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 10:28 pm
Firmer is a good assistant and I always thought that to be the case. He may end up being s good first grade coach too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 11:37 pm
Thought it weird that furner wasn't spotted in the coaches box. Where was he, sideline?
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 11:39 pm
He is sideline.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 11:44 pm
Thx
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 9:14 am
CJ42 wrote:Firmer is a good assistant and I always thought that to be the case. He may end up being s good first grade coach too.

Go Firmer!
In Ricky We Trust
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 9:14 am
Hahaha firmer

Dean Lance
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 10:29 am
I do wonder how Furner (Firmer) was feeling last night. He was a genuine good guy, and he had some tactical nous as our head coach. We are all aware of his short comings as coach, but I believed in what he was trying to do; develop and grow our own. Much like NQ have done. I read an article yesterday on the townsville bulletin which explained Neil Henry, Peter Parr and the CEO at the time gained funding from the Board to develop the area. NQ now have Mackay Cutters, Northern Pride, Townsville Blackhawks in the Q Cup, have a successful NYC team, and strong school boy competitions to ensure their young guys have a pathway to develop to the NRL.

I sense this is what the Raiders were trying to do, but since the arrival of Ricky we have appeared to abandon the grass roots development (or at least stop investing as much) and recruit some proven and reliable players to gain immediate improvement. But this is short sighted. FPN, Soliola are at the end of their careers. If we don't win it in the next year or two, what then?

OK, the Cowboys didn't lose players like Dugan and Ferguson.....but is that much of our own fault? Is that our culture as opposed to NQ who have a very tropical, laid back city in which to dwell, yet their players don't treat their club like the Breezer boys?

NQ aren't perfect. Tamou was done for DUI 2 years ago, JT had his problems on the drink and even tossed up leaving NQ a few years back. But they've changed all that and now are the premiers, with mostly players from their area in the team.

Feldt
Morgan
Taumalolo
Scott
Bolton
Asiata
Cooper

all came through the Cows system.

JT was picked up very shrewdly, Hannant, Granville and Coote were unwanted by other clubs. But I digress.

My point is, I hope the Raiders continue to develop and foster the game in the ACT/Monaro/Riverina areas. There's talent there, it just needs a club clever enough to harvest it.
"I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty, and injustice, in all their forms! My sons and their sons shall follow me."
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 11:38 am
Harvesting local juniors took the cows 20 years to win a premiership. Look at all the other premiers in that 20 year period and you'll see that's not the way to win. You buy players to win premierships.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 11:47 am
Cows also have a Chairman worth 250 million.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 3:26 pm
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Harvesting local juniors took the cows 20 years to win a premiership. Look at all the other premiers in that 20 year period and you'll see that's not the way to win. You buy players to win premierships.

They were Damn near last for five years until they started this initiative.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 3:30 pm
its a balance. Its not one way or the other
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
N/A
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 3:54 pm
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Harvesting local juniors took the cows 20 years to win a premiership. Look at all the other premiers in that 20 year period and you'll see that's not the way to win. You buy players to win premierships.

Look at all the other premiers from the last 20 years and you will see teams that are able to buy players because they are in more attractive markets and also don't operate under the same salary cap as the Raiders.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
#BoneMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Kenny Nagas
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 4:05 pm
Twe'ntom wrote:I do wonder how Furner (Firmer) was feeling last night. He was a genuine good guy, and he had some tactical nous as our head coach. We are all aware of his short comings as coach, but I believed in what he was trying to do; develop and grow our own. Much like NQ have done. I read an article yesterday on the townsville bulletin which explained Neil Henry, Peter Parr and the CEO at the time gained funding from the Board to develop the area. NQ now have Mackay Cutters, Northern Pride, Townsville Blackhawks in the Q Cup, have a successful NYC team, and strong school boy competitions to ensure their young guys have a pathway to develop to the NRL.

I sense this is what the Raiders were trying to do, but since the arrival of Ricky we have appeared to abandon the grass roots development (or at least stop investing as much) and recruit some proven and reliable players to gain immediate improvement. But this is short sighted. FPN, Soliola are at the end of their careers. If we don't win it in the next year or two, what then?

OK, the Cowboys didn't lose players like Dugan and Ferguson.....but is that much of our own fault? Is that our culture as opposed to NQ who have a very tropical, laid back city in which to dwell, yet their players don't treat their club like the Breezer boys?

NQ aren't perfect. Tamou was done for DUI 2 years ago, JT had his problems on the drink and even tossed up leaving NQ a few years back. But they've changed all that and now are the premiers, with mostly players from their area in the team.

Feldt
Morgan
Taumalolo
Scott
Bolton
Asiata
Cooper

all came through the Cows system.

JT was picked up very shrewdly, Hannant, Granville and Coote were unwanted by other clubs. But I digress.

My point is, I hope the Raiders continue to develop and foster the game in the ACT/Monaro/Riverina areas. There's talent there, it just needs a club clever enough to harvest it.

I'm not from Canberra so i'm not sure how strong the Canberra Cup is but we don't seem to inherit many locals from this comp. I think we'd be better served with a local NSW cup side not necessarily the Raiders but a side who could pick the best local players from the Canberra Cup and somewhere to send our best juniors from the Raiders. Surely there's a better way then being affiliated with the Mounties and having to send our best young talent to Sydney.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 4:13 pm
Comparing us to the Cowboys is a bit silly, they have the best player the game has seen at half back and a pretty average squad around him.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 4:17 pm
Yep, they are Newcastle 2. If we got Andrew Johns or Thurston for 10 years I am sure we would've at least made a couple of grand finals. The closest we have managed is Campo for about 10 weeks.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 4:42 pm
The biggest plus for the Cows was the addition of a good dummy half. Granville has been the big difference
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 5:12 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:The biggest plus for the Cows was the addition of a good dummy half. Granville has been the big difference

He has been THE difference. They were using Ray Thompson and Robert Lui until they snared Granville.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 5:14 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:Comparing us to the Cowboys is a bit silly, they have the best player the game has seen at half back and a pretty average squad around him.

I agree their squad is average ; Linnet, Cooper, Lowe, Bolton, Feldt.... All average players who benefit from playing alongside JT.

It also makes defeating the cap cheating broncos so much more enjoyable.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Kenny Nagas
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 5:30 pm
dubby wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:Comparing us to the Cowboys is a bit silly, they have the best player the game has seen at half back and a pretty average squad around him.

I agree their squad is average ; Linnet, Cooper, Lowe, Bolton, Feldt.... All average players who benefit from playing alongside JT.

Well you can't have a squad full of rep players oh wait that's right they just beat one in the gf.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 5:45 pm
dubby wrote:

Linnet dropped the ball a lot last night.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 6:11 pm
I actually really rate both Ethan Lowe and Gavin Cooper, would easily take there back row( previous two plus taumololo) over ours. There front rows also better than ours, they have one of the GOAT at halfback and very good players in the other spine Positions
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 6:34 pm
Ethan Lowe is really good. I dont mind Gavin Cooper but its impossible to seperate him from Thurston, as almost every try or break he makes is off the back of JT's brilliance.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
John Ferguson
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 7:02 pm
Gee pigman I am agreeing with you too much. Lowe was very good last night and very good all season. I was surprised he got low numbers on the out of ten scores in the newspapers. He runs great lines and can break a tackle.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 7:58 pm
If Papa and Soli aren't better than Cooper and Lowe I'll eat my hat. Hopefully Whitehead takes us to another level with his mobility.

Taumololo is a beast. Having him in the same team with Scott and Tamou is the biggest difference to our squad other than JT. There is no other JT in the comp, so the area we can most easily improve is the middle third...and this is clearly what Stuart can see.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 9:05 pm
I don't know about numbers, but it seemed like the Cowboys had to rest taumalolo at least three times last night to keep him fresh.

Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 11:52 am
Lolo was used appropriately, he made several good runs on the night.
Cooper and Lowe are your reliable, solid players. I wouldn't trade Papalii or Sia for them but.
Geez I'd take Lolo in a heartbeat though
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 11:54 am
All depends on what ricky wants from our lock
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders