All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 2:48 pm
Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I said at the start of the year bottom 4 meant sack the coach in my expectations

Sticking to that call?

For mine this year has been a disaster based on win/loss ratio but there have been a couple of positives which is the only reason I'm prepared to give him the start of next year (not all season). He's recruited well and unlike previously we've been in a lot of our loses instead of being flogged, if the coach and players learn from this year and can turn a few of those into wins we are a top 6 team.

Yep, sticking to that call. If we finish Bottom 4 this season has been an unmitigated disaster considering our much improved roster.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Steve Walters
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:05 pm
Has there been any talk or mention of extending Ricky? I haven't seen it, i'm just curious if we're still on the same backroom path of destruction.

The building a roster thing is debatable. I recall during the year pointing out that he'd done a good job with the recruitment this year, and it was a fair point that someone replied that he did try get Ennis before Hodgson and missed a few other targets before assuming a fall-back position which has turned out to be a better raffle ticket than the one he bought the week prior. We then picked up Austin because we were so bad that we could actually offer him a starting spot, and looking at the others they were either searching for a gig in the NRL, or we must have outbid clubs for players they maybe would have kept (Waqa and FPN). BJ was unhappy at the Knights and desperately wanted to join Sia here, so we can't really credit Ricky for picking up a stray dog on the side of the road and bringing him to the shelter.

It's taken Ricky far too long to work some things out like Baptiste. Considering Ricky actually hooked McCrone playing in the halves away to Cronulla last year after a string of woeful performances means he should've had a good idea about the skillset of that player. The fact that he ignored that and then tried to shoehorn him into the side this year was costly, it definitely affected the home result to the Dragons. He took far too long with McCrone, it was obvious to pretty much everyone long before this year even started that he wasn't NRL standard whatsoever.

I think we'll see a few hands shown in the coaching ranks next season with the reduced interchange and it will be interesting to witness how it is handled over the offseason and also over 2016. The problem with RL is mentioned above, there are about 5 decent coaches that everyone is after and the remainder are just on a circuit of sackings from their latest gig. A Trent Barrett appointment is sort of rare. The fact that when Flanagan got suspended that the Sharks more or less had to resort to Peter Sharpe is rather alarming. I'm not sure if he beat Stuart Raper out for that one, my mate who lives in the shire said that Stuart's suit hire business was going pretty well so he probably knocked it back....! But if that's the state of play in the game we have issues there.

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:31 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Cowboys are going well. We should target their assistant coach.

Surprised this didn't even get a lol :P

I'm guessing most don't realise who is the assistant coach? Either way well played.
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:38 pm
Woodgers wrote:Has there been any talk or mention of extending Ricky? I haven't seen it, i'm just curious if we're still on the same backroom path of destruction.

The building a roster thing is debatable. I recall during the year pointing out that he'd done a good job with the recruitment this year, and it was a fair point that someone replied that he did try get Ennis before Hodgson and missed a few other targets before assuming a fall-back position which has turned out to be a better raffle ticket than the one he bought the week prior. We then picked up Austin because we were so bad that we could actually offer him a starting spot, and looking at the others they were either searching for a gig in the NRL, or we must have outbid clubs for players they maybe would have kept (Waqa and FPN). BJ was unhappy at the Knights and desperately wanted to join Sia here, so we can't really credit Ricky for picking up a stray dog on the side of the road and bringing him to the shelter.

It's taken Ricky far too long to work some things out like Baptiste. Considering Ricky actually hooked McCrone playing in the halves away to Cronulla last year after a string of woeful performances means he should've had a good idea about the skillset of that player. The fact that he ignored that and then tried to shoehorn him into the side this year was costly, it definitely affected the home result to the Dragons. He took far too long with McCrone, it was obvious to pretty much everyone long before this year even started that he wasn't NRL standard whatsoever.

I think we'll see a few hands shown in the coaching ranks next season with the reduced interchange and it will be interesting to witness how it is handled over the offseason and also over 2016. The problem with RL is mentioned above, there are about 5 decent coaches that everyone is after and the remainder are just on a circuit of sackings from their latest gig. A Trent Barrett appointment is sort of rare. The fact that when Flanagan got suspended that the Sharks more or less had to resort to Peter Sharpe is rather alarming. I'm not sure if he beat Stuart Raper out for that one, my mate who lives in the shire said that Stuart's suit hire business was going pretty well so he probably knocked it back....! But if that's the state of play in the game we have issues there.

Like mid season or somethimg Don came out and said yeh we are in talks about extending Ricky. We all had a good laugh and went home and slit our wrists
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:47 pm
Ultima wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Cowboys are going well. We should target their assistant coach.

I'm guessing most don't realise who is the assistant coach? Either way well played.

I threw a giant piece of smelly bait in the water and not one bite. :lol:
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:49 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Ultima wrote:

I threw a giant piece of smelly bait in the water and not one bite. :lol:

I lol'd internally
Steve Walters
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:50 pm
Northern Raider wrote:The more I think about it the more I disagree with the bar being set at 6th spot. Its 5th or bust for me.

NO....7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office....

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:53 pm
Woodgers wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:The more I think about it the more I disagree with the bar being set at 6th spot. Its 5th or bust for me.

NO....7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office....

You're just using anecdotes to justify mediocrity. I'll only accept 7th with a F&A of +26 or better.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:54 pm
I was going to make another small wise crack about how those hearty "Furner supercoach!" LOLz we all had when the Cowboys started slowly have dried up since they've proven to be one of the best teams in the comp... but decided otherwise.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 4:02 pm
Pigman wrote:I was going to make another small wise crack about how those hearty "Furner supercoach!" LOLz we all had when the Cowboys started slowly have dried up since they've proven to be one of the best teams in the comp... but decided otherwise.

Paul Green turned them around. When they werr stinking it up it was because Furner was there.

I'm also convinced it was Furner's fault we capitulated this year too. I just haven't worked out the details yet.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 4:11 pm
Woodgers wrote:Has there been any talk or mention of extending Ricky? I haven't seen it, i'm just curious if we're still on the same backroom path of destruction.

First off trying to get Ennis and then falling back to Hodgson doesn't mean you're a bad recruiter. Ennis would have been a good buy and while we wouldn't have gotten him as cheap it still would have been a step in the right direction. Going to the super league was a good decision and he ended up getting the right man. It's not like Hodgson just fell in our laps.
Secondly how does out-bidding a club for a player you want/need make you bad recruiter?
Recruiting Sia because you know how good a leader he is and that other players want to play with him is not good recruiting? How is that any different from recruiting someone like a Cam Smith or a Jonathan Thurston and having others come to the club because of them?
You also need to take into account the guys that have been moved on: Tilse and Shillington, McCrone / Buttriss no longer in first grade.

Last year and this year have been some of our best recruiting years in ages.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 4:26 pm
Woodgers wrote:

BECAUSE YOU'RE ****ING FIRED!!
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 5:13 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQQ9_p02o0
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 5:45 pm

Why aim for 5th when you can go for 4th!
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 6:38 pm
dubby wrote:

Why aim for 5th when you can go for 4th!

You had just had to take a serious discussion and make it silly.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 29, 2015, 6:45 pm
Well Stuart is happy where we ended up this year... From 15th up to a possible 14th or even 13th spot finish! Mean while, last years wooden spooners are in the top 4 with a lot less roster improvement (compared with us) and a lot more injuries this year.
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 29, 2015, 8:58 pm
Yeah I can't look at 4th place and say the Raiders have worse players.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 30, 2015, 7:32 am
But, here we are.

Oh right it's all Ricky's fault.

Dude, Jarrod Kennedy?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 31, 2015, 7:22 am
Canberra Raiders urged to get back on track against Penrith Panthers on Monday night

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he won't tolerate more late-season mediocrity against Penrith on Monday night, labelling last week's Gold Coast horror show as "rubbish" and "of last year's calibre".
Stuart put on a brave face after the 28-12 Titans defeat, undoubtedly Canberra's worst of the year, telling media he could "excuse" the performance after their finals hopes evaporated against Manly the week before.
But within the inner sanctum, the dialogue was much more unforgiving. "It was a completely different conversation behind closed doors with the players in the change rooms," Stuart said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3kKrqUj8H
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: August 31, 2015, 7:26 am
Well let's see if the boys respond tonight at home at Fortress Bruce.

Ricky's had stern words.... :lol:
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 31, 2015, 9:42 pm
That wasn't what I would call a response... We looked good for about 10 minutes if you add it all up... Should have destroyed them, instead tried to defend out lead which we can't do as we can't defend... Bleh... It's a win but so very underwhelming :(
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 5:08 am
Christ you're a whinger. We came out strong and won convincingly. It was pretty, but it will do.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Chris O'Sullivan
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 8:44 am
Ultima wrote:That wasn't what I would call a response... We looked good for about 10 minutes if you add it all up... Should have destroyed them, instead tried to defend out lead which we can't do as we can't defend... Bleh... It's a win but so very underwhelming :(

Someone ate the entire bottle of Emo pills.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 9:04 am
Whinge if you lose whinge if you win...you would probably complain if we won a grand final
In Ricky We Trust

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 12:53 pm
6 Canberra Raiders 24 13 0 11 545 536 +9 30
13 Canberra Raiders 24 10 0 14 434 624 −190 24
15 Canberra Raiders 24 8 0 16 466 623 −157 20
10. Canberra Raiders 23 9 0 14 549 545 +4 22

We have strikingly similar stats to 2012 yet one win from the wooden spoon instead of 6th. We are 1 try better a game from last year but only one win better. 1 extra try scored or saved a game and we are 2nd or 3rd.

What does this mean? I have no idea!
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 1:05 pm
Brew wrote:Whinge if you lose whinge if you win...you would probably complain if we won a grand final

Won by how much?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 1:07 pm
A point
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 1:08 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Christ you're a whinger. We came out strong and won convincingly. It was pretty, but it will do.

You obviously missed every game day thread ever..
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 6:37 pm
Yeah they don't read game threads I guess... And what are people who whinge about whingers? I'm being consistent... I'm not giving him a free pass because we stumbled into a win... Why would I suddenly be OK because we managed to beat a fellow wooden spoon contestant in one of the worst games of the year minus a few flashes of adequacy?
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 7:23 pm
You're a miserable sod. I'm sure even your dog doesn't like you.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 7:25 pm
Please... I'm glad you're all happy with him and only get annoyed when we lose but that performance last night was not worthy of a week off on my stance against Stuart being our coach... That performance would have gotten us a loss against most teams in the comp, we are just lucky it was against an injury ravaged Penrith...
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 7:32 pm
It has nothing to do with Stuart. You haven't confined yourself to Stuart. You have whinged in every thread about pretty much anything and everything. I don't recall you ever making a post that wasn't a whinge. You are the King of Whinge, the Sultan of Sook, the Captain of Complaints.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 7:36 pm
You don't read enough then, also coming in here and bitching about me is different how?
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 7:39 pm
"Sultan of Sook"
Genuine LOL
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 7:46 pm
Ultima wrote:You don't read enough then, also coming in here and bitching about me is different how?

I read a sentence or two of your posts before I reach for a teaspoon to try and gouge my eyes out. My posts are different because I'm not spraying vitriol around every thread on the forum.
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders