Brenko Lee asked for a release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 6:21 pm
I thought Brenko Lee did quite well in first grade the last 2 rounds. Didn't look out of place.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:10 pm
CJ42 wrote:
Makaveli wrote:Let's invest in our juniors for a change. I'd be more than happy to gamble on Lee at such an age than BJ who still hasn't justified his purchase

For a change? We haven't just spent years and years trying to do that to no avail?

I'd rather keep him and have Waqa walk

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:16 pm
julian87 wrote:I thought Brenko Lee did quite well in first grade the last 2 rounds. Didn't look out of place.

Still a bit suspect in defense i thought....He got shown up by Radradra a couple of times late in the game that almost cost us

Jason Croker
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:26 pm
I thought he was very good.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:32 pm
Makaveli wrote:Let's invest in our juniors for a change. I'd be more than happy to gamble on Lee at such an age than BJ who still hasn't justified his purchase

You are aware leilua is the same age as Austin right?
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 10:34 pm
I think he's far too prone to going for a knock down of the ball or intercept, when he actually needs to tackle.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 1:03 pm
Lenny Leonard wrote:

You are aware leilua is the same age as Austin right?

Yes, but I'm also aware that BA is a bonafide gun and BJ is not.
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 1:50 pm
CJ42 wrote:

For a change? We haven't just spent years and years trying to do that to no avail?

This. And name a club who's won the premiership lately who invested in their juniors.

This place... We invest in juniors and people complain our team is rubbish... Then we buy some players and people complain we aren't investing in juniors.

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 1:52 pm
greeneyed wrote:I think he's far too prone to going for a knock down of the ball or intercept, when he actually needs to tackle.

Right on GE. Looks to me like B.Lee looks for the easy option first like the intercept instead of the tough option like making the tackle. He's still young and has plenty of time to learn but he should stop looking for the short cut and take the long cut instead.

Simon Woolford

Favourite Player:
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 5:52 pm
Raidernation wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I think he's far too prone to going for a knock down of the ball or intercept, when he actually needs to tackle.

Right on GE. Looks to me like B.Lee looks for the easy option first like the intercept instead of the tough option like making the tackle. He's still young and has plenty of time to learn but he should stop looking for the short cut and take the long cut instead.

That's what I have saying.!!!

Simon Woolford

Favourite Player:
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 6:16 pm
charlie11 wrote:
Raidernation wrote:

That's what I have saying.!!!

Sorry, that's what I have been saying.
Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 6:29 pm
Nobody was complaining much when Phil graham used to go for a lot of intercepts
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Jackie Boi
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 9:02 pm
We can't afford our coaching staff to be as misguided as Charlie and GE on this issue.

It will have long-term ramifications.

Brenko is must keep.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 9:07 pm
VictorTheViking wrote:Nobody was complaining much when Phil graham used to go for a lot of intercepts

Interesting you bring Graham up. Most centres with high intercept stats are terrible defenders. I remember having a similar debate about Graham just before the club let him go.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 9:55 pm
Sleek the Elite wrote:We can't afford our coaching staff to be as misguided as Charlie and GE on this issue.

Brenko is must keep.

Where did I say I didn't want to keep him. Lacking gravitas Sleek.
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Jackie Boi
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 6:22 am
greeneyed wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:We can't afford our coaching staff to be as misguided as Charlie and GE on this issue.

Brenko is must keep.

If you want to keep him, you need to find a spot for him in first grade next year.

Anyone who can't do that isn't keeping him.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 7:42 am
Sleek the Elite wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Brenko is must keep.

If you want to keep him, you need to find a spot for him in first grade next year.

Anyone who can't do that isn't keeping him.

All I said was this:

I think he's far too prone to going for a knock down of the ball or intercept, when he actually needs to tackle.

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Sami Sauiluma
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 7:46 am
He needs to have an outstanding pre season if he wants to be in first grade next year. If RS puts him into firsts just because he wants to leave we will end up with the inmates running the nuthouse like Dave Furner and Dugan and Fergo.
Agreed we need to keep him, but not in first grade just because he thinks he has a right to be there.
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Jackie Boi
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 8:31 am
Brenko should have been picked in first grade after the Broncos match this year.

We should have beaten them but didn't at which point it should have registered that we needed an infusion of something new. The 20s upset the then ladder leading Broncos the same day.

It's spilt milk now but we can't afford any more ballsups.

Put him in first grade round 1 next year and leave him there.

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:20 am
dreaming09 wrote:He needs to have an outstanding pre season if he wants to be in first grade next year. If RS puts him into firsts just because he wants to leave we will end up with the inmates running the nuthouse like Dave Furner and Dugan and Fergo.
Agreed we need to keep him, but not in first grade just because he thinks he has a right to be there.

Agreed. Brenko has a great opportunity to get a spot in this team either on right wing or centre. If he proves to be the best player in pre season than he will get it. If not he should play mounties and work hard to be first change if there is injury or suspension and get another opportunity and earn the place and keep it. I dont think its a difficult concept that if you want to take another guys job on the team that you should be better than them to get it, not just have more potential.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:31 am
Brenko's a work in progress, his defence is appalling and he's just a kid.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 11:46 am
The important thing is that brenko knows hes a work in progress. If he doesn't understand that then we need to move him on
Steve Walters
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 12:00 pm
He's a must keep for me because he has the physical attributes to develop into whatever he wants to be. If you have a look at his raw ability, even the way he runs and tries to beat his opposite, there's definite comparisons there to Blake Ferguson. Not Blake Ferguson the end product at the Raiders before he left or Blake the Rooster, i'm talking about when we first got him. Blake was awful at most things when we got him from Cronulla, now I am convinced he's (unfortunately) the best centre in the game. He's a big, powerful body with agility.

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 2:24 pm
Woodgers wrote:He's a must keep for me because he has the physical attributes to develop into whatever he wants to be. If you have a look at his raw ability, even the way he runs and tries to beat his opposite, there's definite comparisons there to Blake Ferguson. Not Blake Ferguson the end product at the Raiders before he left or Blake the Rooster, i'm talking about when we first got him. Blake was awful at most things when we got him from Cronulla, now I am convinced he's (unfortunately) the best centre in the game. He's a big, powerful body with agility.

He is the full package as a centre, fast, agile, strong, can leap, good hands, sets up his winger, rucks it out of his end (not that the Chooks seem to do that much), can defend, can hit too. He was easily the best player we had had in a long long time. Pity he turned out to be a complete douche.

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 3:12 pm
Matt wrote:
Woodgers wrote:He's a must keep for me because he has the physical attributes to develop into whatever he wants to be. If you have a look at his raw ability, even the way he runs and tries to beat his opposite, there's definite comparisons there to Blake Ferguson. Not Blake Ferguson the end product at the Raiders before he left or Blake the Rooster, i'm talking about when we first got him. Blake was awful at most things when we got him from Cronulla, now I am convinced he's (unfortunately) the best centre in the game. He's a big, powerful body with agility.

He is the full package as a centre, fast, agile, strong, can leap, good hands, sets up his winger, rucks it out of his end (not that the Chooks seem to do that much), can defend, can hit too. He was easily the best player we had had in a long long time. Pity he turned out to be a complete douche.

I think he is a shadow of the player he was with us in his last year. He was the best center in the game back than but I think he looks a liability with the chooks in defense and not as dynamic in attack. He's lost his edge.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 3:16 pm
Raidernation wrote:
Matt wrote:

I think he is a shadow of the player he was with us in his last year. He was the best center in the game back than but I think he looks a liability with the chooks in defense and not as dynamic in attack. He's lost his edge.

That's probably just a symptom of time away from the game. He'll build back up with a full pre-season. It's a shame he didn't have the same attitude as someone like Croker while he was at the raiders.
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 3:44 pm
Yeah, he does look 'a step' slow this yr. His last yr with us was phenomenal, even if was only like 10 games. I think he will get back there though, he has started to look the goods again recently.
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 3:48 pm
Why does brenko need to start in firsts for us to keep him

He might make that career decision come 2017 but 2016 he is contracted here and he should be picked in the first 13 only if he is the best for that job same as everyone else.

Anything else is a dark path imo.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Kenny Nagas
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 8:56 pm
papabear wrote:Why does brenko need to start in firsts for us to keep him

He might make that career decision come 2017 but 2016 he is contracted here and he should be picked in the first 13 only if he is the best for that job same as everyone else.

Anything else is a dark path imo.

I think the idea is that if he doesn't start next year, he won't sign for 2017. But I agree with your point that he needs to earn his spot like everyone else. We are not a team that can carry a guy not up to the job (any more).
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 9:08 pm
The guy has a ton of potential, but I can't think of a single thing he's done which makes him a guaranteed starter next season. If he genuinely wants to prove that he is keen to play first grade for the Raiders he'll put the effort in over the offseason (because the opportunity is certainly here for him). If he wants to cut and run then that's fine by me.

I didn't lose a wink of sleep over Dugan and Milford leaving, and I won't lose any sleep if Brenko Lee says he'd rather play elsewhere.

FWIW I hope he chooses to stay and proves to be a champion. He certainly has the raw talent. I just don't think Stuart will be held to ransom by a 20 year old centre who has been hot and cold most of his short career.
Previous

Return to Canberra Raiders