Moderator: GH Moderators

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 7:50 pm
Pigman wrote:Ooooof
DFJ didn't hold back

Fwiw I believe Kimmorley is correct

DFJ didn't hold back but neither did he deny Kimmorleys claims. I only hope he keeps up the fight for rewarding junior development. Thats the Raiders key point of difference. Cannot compete if we are forced into bidding wars with Roosters, Broncos etc with their 3rd party deals in brown paper bags.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 8:59 pm
Geez Don, get over it. Laurie Daley was 1986! Played Winfield cup in 87.
25 years ago. Means nothing to this generation.
Just stop bloody whinging and start buying already.

It's time this club and it's supporters got over Josh Dugan
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:48 pm
They are at least signing more now Dubby. Its sad but grass roots development is already dead and buried for anything but filling out a squad.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:54 pm
The NRL is a shambles on development. An utter shambles.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:55 pm
The problem with the Canberra junior development market is that if the raiders don't sign up and train the young stars, then AFL and Union will take them.

It is not like Sydney where Eels, bulldogs and saints would pick up a star who the west tigers don't develop. But there is no net loss to rugby league in the Sydney junior market when this happens.

Last I heard the AFL has 20 development officers in Canberra compared to 2 NRL.

I am amazed the GWS sellout crowd in Canberra hasn't raised concern for the NRL commission. Rugby league is half as popular in Canberra as it used to be. This is statistically based not just anecdotal.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 11:05 pm
-GD- wrote:9:03 of this video, he is definitely off and instinctually wants to come back on but has to stop himself.

Where has the order come from for him to go off there? There's no trainer within cooee.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 11:11 pm
If i remember correctly he showed himself to the sideline.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 11:12 pm
Manchild wrote:If i remember correctly he showed himself to the sideline.

Yeah that's how I remember it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 11:50 pm
dubby wrote:Geez Don, get over it. Laurie Daley was 1986! Played Winfield cup in 87.
25 years ago. Means nothing to this generation.
Just stop bloody whinging and start buying already.

It's time this club and it's supporters got over Josh Dugan

Congratulations, you completely missed his point.
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 11:59 pm
julian87 wrote:
-GD- wrote:9:03 of this video, he is definitely off and instinctually wants to come back on but has to stop himself.

Where has the order come from for him to go off there? There's no trainer within cooee.

fair point
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 12:06 am
julian87 wrote:
Manchild wrote:If i remember correctly he showed himself to the sideline.

Yeah that's how I remember it.

Me too. I remember watching and thinking 'where the **** are you going brenko' then they scored. When the substitute story came out it seemed a bit fishy.
Of course its entirely possible it happened the way they said but i think its just as likely they saw him take himself off and reacted asap
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 6:45 am
18yr old kid ffs
Edrick The Entertainer
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 6:50 am
bonehead wrote:18yr old kid ffs

This is the point bonehead. The kid has the **** that he isn't getting NRL time but does something like that.

All that people are saying is spend a bit more time at Mounties to mature and he will get his shot.
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 9:57 am
That video looks like he took himself off. Usually (all the time) a trainer would be there to take a player off.

Strange
2017: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Soliola ----
14. Baptiste 15. Taylor 16. Bateman 17. Tarpine

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 10:00 am
I am positive that the commentators said later that he was told to come off.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 10:42 am
greeneyed wrote:The NRL is a shambles on development. An utter shambles.

I agree
And in ten years time when there is less talent because most kids are playing afl or soccer the club's will only have themselves to blame.
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 11:08 am
The NRL and some clubs will be to blame.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 11:12 am
We tried development ge, and I support that.
But under Dave Furner it failed because he couldn't manage them.
I think we should continue development. I really do.
But our competition isn't set up that way.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Jordan Rapana & Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 7:32 pm
Manchild wrote:HE IS 19!!! A whole lot could change within the club in 1 or 2 years. BJ could check out and not get a new contract. Waqa could well take that job playing Union. Hawkins has been given a few shots and Ricky seems pretty happy to use another option if it is there.

I think Waqa has one more season left in him at least, meaning Brenko will be 21 by the time he pushes for NRL and by then he might have his defence up to that level as far as reading the game goes.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 7:36 pm
The worst part of all of this is we are developing heaps of young players but we can't keep them to develop... We are the 2nd youngest average age team still so we can't justify paying overs for maybes all the time :(

I would like Brenko Lee to stay, would require Cornish or someone else to move on though :S
Fine, don't sack Stuart!
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 1, 2015, 7:36 pm
If Waqa is still injured he may end up playing next week. Should be fresh after not having to defend today.

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 2:28 am
For a bloke with a reputation for having a bad attitude, B J has surprised me with how well he has settled in. Sure he has areas of his game to work on, but if he is going to have a fair crack at things here I can only see him getting better. If Ricky wants to talk about keeping the core playing group together so it can realise its potential in two or three years time he needs to make wise judgement calls about keeping fringe first graders.
Jack back to five eighth
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 3:24 pm
Canberrigan wrote:For a bloke with a reputation for having a bad attitude, B J has surprised me with how well he has settled in. Sure he has areas of his game to work on, but if he is going to have a fair crack at things here I can only see him getting better. If Ricky wants to talk about keeping the core playing group together so it can realise its potential in two or three years time he needs to make wise judgement calls about keeping fringe first graders.

How are you judging this? 1 good game in 4 and some awful game turning errors in 2 games.

Combine that with his off field baggage. So far he's an awful buy.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 3:28 pm
Tim Gavel ‏@TimGavel 45m45 minutes ago
Brenko Lee fully committed to Raiders , says stories that he wanted leave were wrong ,says he needs to return fitter in off season.

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 5:57 pm
Good to hear!!!
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 6:57 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Tim Gavel ‏@TimGavel 45m45 minutes ago
Brenko Lee fully committed to Raiders , says stories that he wanted leave were wrong ,says he needs to return fitter in off season.

At least we know the last part of that post is true.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Jackie Boi
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 7:33 pm
Looking forward to seeing him cement a first grade spot next year.

In the centres. Where he belongs.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 8:07 pm
Sleek the Elite wrote:Looking forward to seeing him cement a first grade spot next year.

In the centres. Where he belongs.

will be sad having leilua sit in mounties
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
David Furner
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:00 pm
Let's invest in our juniors for a change. I'd be more than happy to gamble on Lee at such an age than BJ who still hasn't justified his purchase
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:03 pm
A year of raps and bj on one side and croker and edlee the other please. Waqa can sit on a pokie till hes needed and brenko can work on his game at mounties
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:09 pm
I just said something similar in a different thread, but I worry about that right edge. I still think a yr on that that centre spot is no where near sorted.

Perhaps coming in mid year for BJ meant a learning curve too steep, but he was basically a waste of space. Defensively he was poor, gave away some dumb penalties (mostly shoulder charges) and made bad errors.

Waqa is a winger, and while he did an admirable job under the circumstances, and was the best choice we had at the time, he is not a centre.

Brenko... well... another yr on, and very little to no improvement. He and BJ seem very similar in playing style, maturity and application. Like others, I believe if he could get his off field stuff, training and diet sorted, he could well be the answer. BUT, like BJ, if he doesn't, he will be nothing better than an avg to poor NRL player.

With our current roster, Brenko is the one id be taking a punt on, BUT, he has to work for it over preseason; something he was probably told last yr too TBH. It does potentially make BJ an expensive Mounties player though.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 3:35 pm
Matt wrote:I just said something similar in a different thread, but I worry about that right edge. I still think a yr on that that centre spot is no where near sorted.

Perhaps coming in mid year for BJ meant a learning curve too steep, but he was basically a waste of space. Defensively he was poor, gave away some dumb penalties (mostly shoulder charges) and made bad errors.

Waqa is a winger, and while he did an admirable job under the circumstances, and was the best choice we had at the time, he is not a centre.

Brenko... well... another yr on, and very little to no improvement. He and BJ seem very similar in playing style, maturity and application. Like others, I believe if he could get his off field stuff, training and diet sorted, he could well be the answer. BUT, like BJ, if he doesn't, he will be nothing better than an avg to poor NRL player.

With our current roster, Brenko is the one id be taking a punt on, BUT, he has to work for it over preseason; something he was probably told last yr too TBH. It does potentially make BJ an expensive Mounties player though.

There's a 4 or 5 year age gap between the two, plus however many first grade games... If they're similar in maturity and application, then I think it says a lot more about BJ than it does about Brenko.
I'm with you, I'd rather take a punt on Brenko - but Sticky might have other ideas
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 3:53 pm
imo junior development should primarily be another way of activating the fan base.

your professional team should be recruited from the best young players floating around and the best established players floating around.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 4:50 pm
Makaveli wrote:Let's invest in our juniors for a change. I'd be more than happy to gamble on Lee at such an age than BJ who still hasn't justified his purchase

For a change? We haven't just spent years and years trying to do that to no avail?

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 6:13 pm
Brenko just needs to earn his place. work hard in the off season, work harder in the pre season and earn the position. Only Croker is a guarantee so he has 3 spots available.
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders