Brenko Lee asked for a release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:10 am
Aero wrote:
Sleek the Elite wrote:Signing Leilua & losing Brenko would be stupidity personified.

With Justin Hodges retiring at the end of the year, don't be surprised if the Broncos come calling.

One of the reasons Wayne Bennett has lasted as long as he has is because he knows A-level talent when he sees it.

Brenko should have been given a shot at right centre before Leilua got here.

agree 100%

His attitude has been poor. Ricky won't select people who don't train hard.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:10 am
simo wrote:He could be a very good centre for us but we have put a substantial road block in his way by naming Croker captain

:roflmao
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:12 am
Sleek the Elite wrote:Brenko Lee will turn out to be a high quality first grade centre for someone.

I hope it's us.

Seeing him smash through opposition defensive lines a few years from now (or even next year) wearing a Broncos jersey (or any other jersey for that matter that isn't lime green) will be sickening.

You cannot let talent like that slip through your fingers and expect to be taken seriously as a football club.

Which is why we're not.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:32 am
Bulldogs know how to use and abuse talent. It would be the last place I would want to go to develop my game. That club must have the highest turnover of good players in the comp.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:49 am
Sleek the Elite wrote:Signing Leilua & losing Brenko would be stupidity personified.

With Justin Hodges retiring at the end of the year, don't be surprised if the Broncos come calling.

One of the reasons Wayne Bennett has lasted as long as he has is because he knows A-level talent when he sees it.

Brenko was playing like rubbish compared to what he can do for a good part of the season. Very lazy in some games.
You can see he's got the talent but he's not the kind of player at the moment that is going to do the hard yards and extra 1 percenters like a TPJ or Batemen.

I hope he stays so we can develop him but I'd like to see him play a good chunk in the mounties in some hard games before he gets a first grade spot to see whether that "too bored to try" creeps back into his game.
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Jackie Boi
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 11:56 am
When Mal Meninga was a young centre, people always used to say he was lazy.

Ricky needs to sit down with Brenko & explain to him what he needs to do to make first grade.

If and when he does that, pick him. In the centres, not on the wing.

Who misses out? That's Ricky's problem, not mine.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 12:02 pm
Id be very surprised if ricky hasnt already done that sleek. Would not surprise me if that was why he wanted out cos it sounded too hard
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Jack Wighton
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 12:15 pm
simo wrote:He could be a very good centre for us but we have put a substantial road block in his way by naming Croker captain

Correct.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 12:17 pm
Sleek the Elite wrote:When Mal Meninga was a young centre, people always used to say he was lazy.

Ricky needs to sit down with Brenko & explain to him what he needs to do to make first grade.

Did... Did you just compare Brenko Lee with Mal Meninga?
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 12:32 pm
simo wrote:Id be very surprised if ricky hasnt already done that sleek. Would not surprise me if that was why he wanted out cos it sounded too hard

Thank you. How do people here imagine a football team is managed? ????

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 12:35 pm
dubby wrote:
Aero wrote:

agree 100%

He'll just sign them from other clubs instead.
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff

Alan Tongue
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 1:10 pm
Brenko Lee is gong to have a huge career. The Bulldogs are pouncing at the right time.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 1:29 pm
We've got a 19 year old prodigy whose form in the junior grades is up and down like a yoyo and people think the recipe for success is for the club to bend over backwards to put him in first grade years before he is ready?

Righto.

He seemingly wants a release because it's all too hard to put in the work and prove he is ready for first grade. If that attitude doesn't change he won't succeed anywhere.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 2:09 pm
I dont think anyone has said we SHOULD release him. He's too talented for us to just give him away. Sky is the limit regarding his potential.
Certainly i havent said we should release him, however i have stated why it maybe understandable that he asked for a release.

It maybe because Stuart laid down the law, that he had to earn his spot and fix his attitude and it all sounded too hard. Or maybe he saw the 24 year old club captain and 23 new recruit come to the club and he and his manager rightly wondered "Is there a place for me here long term? I'm not so sure anymore and this other club really seems keen on me"
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 3:59 pm
I would have thought the longish term plan was going to be seeing where Brenko/Waqa are at come mid 2016. With an eye to having Brenko replace Waqa as that full time first grader.

If Leilua is kept on (I can't imagine why we'd have pushed so hard for that to happen to solve a 3 month problem) then I don't really see a spot for Brenko. It's a risk letting him go but you have to do that as a footy club. The one thing we should be looking at with clubs wanting early releases to swoop on players, is compensation if possible. I don't think the NRL is that far away from seeing way more player swap deals than we do at the moment.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 4:12 pm
Sleek the Elite wrote:When Mal Meninga was a young centre, people always used to say he was lazy.

So When mal meninga was a 19 year old playing for Queensland, some people were saying he was lazy.

Ummmm I think brenko should be carving up the NRL and SOO between having a few quiet games, before we start making this comparison.

Meninga and a young Greg Inglis I can compare. Brenko is probably more comparible to a young tony Williams.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 5:27 pm
Worth remembering we had starting backline in round 1 2013 of Dugan, Earl, Ferguson, Croker and Wighton. One of those blokes was still standing by the end of the year. So much can change in a short period of time and we need to keep as much quality depth for as long as we can this time around.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 6:21 pm
edwahu wrote:Worth remembering we had starting backline in round 1 2013 of Dugan, Earl, Ferguson, Croker and Wighton. One of those blokes was still standing by the end of the year. So much can change in a short period of time and we need to keep as much quality depth for as long as we can this time around.

Thats potentially a GF winning backline too. What a waste 2013 turned out to be!
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 6:24 pm
Toviii wrote:
dubby wrote:
Aero wrote:

agree 100%

He'll just sign them from other clubs instead.

If you're referring to leilua, he's reportedly training very hard. He, along with others, did not get along with Rick Stone, who is now sacked.

Jason Croker
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 6:59 pm
I don't think he has done anything this year to warrant selection. Mind you I don't think he is far down the pecking order. I have a feeling Hawkins card is marked.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 8:27 pm
Matt wrote:
edwahu wrote:Worth remembering we had starting backline in round 1 2013 of Dugan, Earl, Ferguson, Croker and Wighton. One of those blokes was still standing by the end of the year. So much can change in a short period of time and we need to keep as much quality depth for as long as we can this time around.

Thats potentially a GF winning backline too. What a waste 2013 turned out to be!

RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 8:39 pm
Didn't grab his opportunity last year with both hands. Obviously a fair bit of water under the bridge since then especially when you're young.
David Furner
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 9:42 pm
Pigman wrote:I dont think anyone has said we SHOULD release him. He's too talented for us to just give him away. Sky is the limit regarding his potential.
Certainly i havent said we should release him, however i have stated why it maybe understandable that he asked for a release.

It maybe because Stuart laid down the law, that he had to earn his spot and fix his attitude and it all sounded too hard. Or maybe he saw the 24 year old club captain and 23 new recruit come to the club and he and his manager rightly wondered "Is there a place for me here long term? I'm not so sure anymore and this other club really seems keen on me"

Yeah this is it. If we can keep him we should, we don't owe other clubs and nor do we we actually owe him. Potential, well yeah maybe so while he's in our hand we should keep that card for us to cash in.

If he wants a release, yes I understand why. Too bad though eh?

If getting a first grade gig seemed too hard, too bad. If getting over the top of your club captain or a bloke who played in a grand final at 18 (a FIRST GRADE grand final) somehow stifled your day, too bad.

Using the existing first grade players to try to defend a bloke who is a junior star on occasion is pathetic - and I mean generally, not you Pigman - and realistically if the attitude is "I could do better elsewhere", then fine, son, take a look at your contract. We aren't under any obligation to further Brenko's career. He hasn't shown enough to demonstrate that he's being held back in any way. A number of people have said he could instead continue to work hard and opportunities should come. I agree completely. Right now Hawkins is ahead of him in the replacement ladder, so why would he moan. Given time and injuries, that could change. Or Brenko could shine in NSW Cup. Still, the idea that we are going to miss out on a future star, well, frankly, it's more likely that we'll finally pass on the new Royston Lightning.

Simon Woolford

Favourite Player:
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:18 pm
Brenko was been shopped around at the Broncos about a month ago as well !!!he clearly does not want to stay at the Raiders ,let him go Don and Ricky don't be concerned that it will come back to bite us !!! IMO it wont. Your left centre at the Mounties has been playing better this year and has a much better attitude and defends better as well .
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:21 pm
See my other recent post. What's the point in letting Brenko go? BTW he was shopped by his manager to more than the Broncos and Bulldogs.
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:39 pm
charlie... Do you think Cronin is getting a contract extension?

Simon Woolford

Favourite Player:
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:54 pm
greeneyed wrote:charlie... Do you think Cronin is getting a contract extension?

He should IMO, but I don't think so. ,Maybe a late tier 2 signing depending on form over the next 8 weeks, I think Ahearn is in the same situation. !!!
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 29, 2015, 10:56 pm
Ahearn made an impact last weekend. I hope Mitch can get a new contract too, charlie.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 8:48 am
The problem the likes of Ahern, Cronin and even Hawkins have... no excitement factor. All are very solid players, but they haven't got that thing that says "pick me!" All have probably deserved a decent crack at FG (Hawk has obviously had a taste), but the coaches haven't picked them for 1 reason or another.

Brenko has size and an offload. That's why he is seen as being ahead of all of them. If Brenko wanted to play FG this yr, he should have pulled his finger out waaaaaaaay earlier. We needed a centre to start the yr, after a month we switched 2 wingers around, and then by mid year we had bought one. Brenko had an offseason and probably a third of a season to force his way in, he didn't do it.

If he is unhappy because he didn't get a chance that's fair enough, but you have to earn it, and Ricky has said that from the minute he arrived. Brenko obviously didn't earn it. Having watched plenty of u20s this yr (mostly home games), he didn't deserve it. Early in the yr, like Papa, he looked fat. Both started playing better by about 6-8 wks in, by which point Ricky had started looking for another centre - in not all but signed him.

I would want to keep him, coz when he is playing like he currently is, at worst, he is our 1st reserve outside back, IMO. However, if he is that unhappy that he wants to leave, what's the point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be here?!?! I think that would work against us as a team and club.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 11:07 am
Matt wrote:The problem the likes of Ahern, Cronin and even Hawkins have... no excitement factor. All are very solid players, but they haven't got that thing that says "pick me!" All have probably deserved a decent crack at FG (Hawk has obviously had a taste), but the coaches haven't picked them for 1 reason or another.

Brenko has size and an offload. That's why he is seen as being ahead of all of them. If Brenko wanted to play FG this yr, he should have pulled his finger out waaaaaaaay earlier. We needed a centre to start the yr, after a month we switched 2 wingers around, and then by mid year we had bought one. Brenko had an offseason and probably a third of a season to force his way in, he didn't do it.

If he is unhappy because he didn't get a chance that's fair enough, but you have to earn it, and Ricky has said that from the minute he arrived. Brenko obviously didn't earn it. Having watched plenty of u20s this yr (mostly home games), he didn't deserve it. Early in the yr, like Papa, he looked fat. Both started playing better by about 6-8 wks in, by which point Ricky had started looking for another centre - in not all but signed him.

I would want to keep him, coz when he is playing like he currently is, at worst, he is our 1st reserve outside back, IMO. However, if he is that unhappy that he wants to leave, what's the point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be here?!?! I think that would work against us as a team and club.

Pretty much sums it up.
On Ahearn I think he'd make a better 5/8 than a fullback. He has similar ball playing ability to Matt Moylan, but as you said his fullback play is very solid but lacks the excitement factor. I'm hoping the Mounties coach keeps Ahearn and Cornish in the halves for the rest of the year.
I think maybe you were a little rough on Hawkins. He has killed it in some games this year but yeah Brenko definitely has some excitement about him that the others lack, when he is on fire.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 11:18 am
zim wrote:
Matt wrote:The problem the likes of Ahern, Cronin and even Hawkins have... no excitement factor. All are very solid players, but they haven't got that thing that says "pick me!" All have probably deserved a decent crack at FG (Hawk has obviously had a taste), but the coaches haven't picked them for 1 reason or another.

Pretty much sums it up.
On Ahearn I think he'd make a better 5/8 than a fullback. He has similar ball playing ability to Matt Moylan, but as you said his fullback play is very solid but lacks the excitement factor. I'm hoping the Mounties coach keeps Ahearn and Cornish in the halves for the rest of the year.
I think maybe you were a little rough on Hawkins. He has killed it in some games this year but yeah Brenko definitely has some excitement about him that the others lack, when he is on fire.

On Hawk,
1. He isn't lightening fast, but fast enough.
2. He isn't really strong, but probably plays above his weight.
3. He isn't a fantastic defender, but possibly better than avg.
4. He doesn't really have an offload, or ball playing ability, or a big step, or a big fend, but runs good honest lines and gives 100% all the time.
I think he is very solid. A good reserve back, but not sure he is ever going to be a regular FG player. I think if you looked any of the 3, this is the sort off assessment you would come up with. He is ahead of the other 2 though.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 11:24 am
When Hawkins plays in NSW Cup he looks like he has the strength of Shannon Boyd. He has always dominated his opposing player with strength. He just can't seem to transfer that into NRL.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 11:28 am
Manchild wrote:When Hawkins plays in NSW Cup he looks like he has the strength of Shannon Boyd. He has always dominated his opposing player with strength. He just can't seem to transfer that into NRL.

Not sure Id go as far as Boyd, but I get where you are coming from. It could be a case of 'boys vs men' as far as NSW Cup vs NRL; NRL players are that little bit bigger, stronger, faster, better positioned/ drilled, etc.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 11:29 am
Hawkins will still make a good first grader IMO, I'd like to see him with another 20 games under his belt
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 11:29 am
Matt wrote:
zim wrote:

Pretty much sums it up.

On Hawk,
1. He isn't lightening fast, but fast enough.
2. He isn't really strong, but probably plays above his weight.
3. He isn't a fantastic defender, but possibly better than avg.
4. He doesn't really have an offload, or ball playing ability, or a big step, or a big fend, but runs good honest lines and gives 100% all the time.
I think he is very solid. A good reserve back, but not sure he is ever going to be a regular FG player. I think if you looked any of the 3, this is the sort off assessment you would come up with. He is ahead of the other 2 though.

All good points mate. I'm hoping for hawks sake that the other parts of his game develop as he gets more experience.
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders