Hunt for the spoon!

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 8:39 pm
Well the year is over, basically, but lets all count down the seconds which celebrates that "basically" until we are a mathematical impossibility of making the finals :)

As the Bulldogs don't appear to want to lose to the Rabbits (they had to lose all three to possibly miss out on their finals spot) there is only one way we make the finals now, and it's so very very unlikely to happen!

Dragons lose their next two, Sea Eagles lose their next two of three, and we win all three.

I vote all three things which need to happen won't (as in we won't even win the next three games)! Lets have a countdown thread anyway :)
Last edited by Ultima on August 23, 2015, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 8:44 pm
I'm surprised we I are still a chance ATM.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 8:48 pm
We really aren't, it's purely a mathematical one... I don't think a team has ever gotten in on 26 points...
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 8:50 pm
Just checked, first year so far is 2007 where it was:

6 - Bulldogs (26)
7 - Rabbitohs (26)
8 - Broncos (24)
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
2004 (15 Teams):

8 - Raiders (26) :roflmao
Last edited by Ultima on August 21, 2015, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 8:55 pm
2002 (15 teams):

6 - Eels (26)
7 - Dragons (25)
8 - Raiders (25)
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 9:00 pm
After 2002 it's down to 14 teams and 26 games but just because:

2001 = 7 - Dragons (26), 8 - Warriors (26)
2000 = 8 - Sharks (26)
1998 doesn't count as it was the top 10 of 20 teams, each playing 24 games but even then it was only 9 - Bulldogs (26), 10 - Sea Eagles (26)
Ruben Wiki

Favourite Player:
Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!
PostPosted: August 21, 2015, 9:37 pm
I wouldnt put it past the sharks and the roosters to put manly to bed, nor would I put it past the tigers and titans not to beat the dragons, not likely but its definately not out of the question.
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 6:13 pm
I haven't seen the game yet (was travelling for work) but thanks to NRL digital being **** I now know the final score before the game anyway... Well that ends the countdown.... Maybe I should change this to "hunt for the wooden spoon" which seem more in-line with our chances....
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 6:27 pm
With only a few games left to the season we are in the perfect speed to hunt down a new set of wooden spoons! With our loss to the Titans we are heavy favourites not to win another game this year which means we only need:

Panthers to win one more (they play Us, Knights) - Based on recent form they will towel us next week so then t hey can give the Knights one of the wins they need to get ahead of us!
Titans to win one more (they play Dragons, Cowboys) - Dragons maybe, Cowboys don't see happening unless they rest some players.
Tigers to win two more (they play Warriors, Dragons) - Totally could happen
Knights to win two more (they play Storm, Bulldogs, Panthers) - Seems the least likely even though they have an extra game they can afford to lose.
Bradley Clyde

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 6:36 pm
The excitement has gone, couldn't give a **** whether we got the spoon or not.

The only thing that would get me interested is to see how Barnett, Brenko and TPJ would go.

The selections of Kennedy and Bateman really make it uninspiring.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 6:40 pm
I really want us to finish well. 10 wins is an actual improvement on last year and would give Ricky less of a psychological rebuild.

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 7:17 pm
LP Raider wrote:The excitement has gone, couldn't give a **** whether we got the spoon or not.

The only thing that would get me interested is to see how Barnett, Brenko and TPJ would go.

Yeah I don't know the reasoning behind has two Fensoms out there.

What does Bateman offer from the bench, when Fensom plays 80 minutes?
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 7:22 pm
Give them the spoon, they are an embarrassment.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 7:25 pm
LP Raider wrote:The excitement has gone, couldn't give a **** whether we got the spoon or not.

After watching TPJ today he is not ready for 1st grade.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 7:45 pm
Manchild wrote:

After watching TPJ today he is not ready for 1st grade.

You can't tell much from an under 20s game.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 8:42 pm
When we beat Penrith 4 weeks ago we were spoon free. We needed just 4 wins from our last 6 games to play finals with a very favourable draw.

Now we are in strife.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 8:24 pm
With Newcastle looking good against the Storm the spoon is now a real possibility
In Ricky We Trust
David Grant

Favourite Player:
laurie daley
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 8:34 pm
The spoon could be heading to canberra. Maybe. All I can say is thank god we have a better differential +/-
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 8:37 pm
Safe to say Knights are about to win. 20-6 with 7 to go.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Campese
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 8:41 pm
The west tigers need to win both their games for us to get the spoon. They play Warriors at Campbelltown next week and then the Dragons at ANZ. Definite win vs the Warriors.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 8:43 pm
Dragons fighting for a top 8. Cant see them losing that
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 9:10 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:Dragons fighting for a top 8. Cant see them losing that

Not sure that "fighting for a top 8" holds much weight for Raiders fans. :lol:
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 9:30 pm
-PJ- wrote:When we beat Penrith 4 weeks ago we were spoon free. We needed just 4 wins from our last 6 games to play finals with a very favourable draw.

Now we are in strife.

Yep it's a **** disgusting performance, players and coach need to address whatever has caused it.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 9:33 pm
roneel78 wrote:The west tigers need to win both their games for us to get the spoon. They play Warriors at Campbelltown next week and then the Dragons at ANZ. Definite win vs the Warriors.

I would rather cop the spoon than rely on F&A. It might wake the club up a bit, if it's still somehow asleep at the wheel.

Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 9:33 pm
Haha, I can't believe that the Titans, Eels and Knights all pulled off wins this week to put us in a genuine position to win the spoon, it's comical.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 9:39 pm
At the start of the year I said top 4 was a great season, next 4 was a good season, the next 4 was a par season and bottom 4 was sack the coach

Can't believe we're almost at sack the coach time. And this season we SHOULD be playing finals football and we've had the best run with injuries in recent memory. This is all on Ricky Stuart's head

What a disgusting end to a promising season
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Alan Tongue

Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 9:50 pm
Exactly right, Nickman. After we came from behind to defeat the Tigers and Souths, then destroyed the Titans I was hopeful for a top 8 finish at least. Fast forward a few months and we have turned to complete rubbish and can't even put away the Titans without Sezer. I actually can't believe how it's gotten to this point but this disappointment trumps previous years because we have shown so much promise at times.
Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Aidan Sezer
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 10:49 pm
Hard to pinpoint the moment when this season really started to go so sour. Since we thrashed the Titans at home, we have won just three from thirteen with two of them being against an awful Newcastle side. Blake has now gone quiet, Sam has lost his composure, Leilua has played one decent game since arriving, Shillo has checked out, FPN never really checked in and one of our only consistent players has been lost for the season. If someone told me two months ago we would lose our last five games of the season I would have told them they were kidding themselves however now it feels like a genuine possibility. Hopefully something can fire us up for this weekend, because finishing in the bottom four for a third consecutive year is nothing sort of embarrasing.
Blake Ferguson - You have failed this city.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 1:48 am
The Tigers could just thrash the Warriors (doable), lose a close one to the Dragons while we drop our bundle big time losing both our remaining games by decent margins...

Tigers +40
Raiders -60 and they would over take us...

Granted that is pretty unlikely... And would also require the Titans to win again (against the Dragons or the Cowboys)... Still, we totally deserve it... Tigers and Titans have had massive injury tolls. We have just had Ricky Stuart.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 1:56 am
Also that would make us the worst defensive team and the only team outside of the top three to have scored over 500 points :P
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 12:05 pm
The question needs to be asked, is the spoon hunting us or are we hunting the spoon?
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 2:46 pm
Wests Tigers, Gold Coast Titans, Newcastle Knights: Who will finish last?

Canberra Raiders

Run home: Panthers (home), Eels (away)

Finals contenders just two weeks ago, the Raiders are now just two points off last place. Canberra are far better than their 8-14 record would indicate and have lost a number of heartbreakingly close matches this season — seven of their losses have come by four points or less and if they’d won just three of those matches they’d still be in finals contention — but the constant losses have taken their toll and the team looked dispirited against the Titans. It’ll take something special from Ricky Stuart to get them up for their last two matches.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nr ... %7C+NRL%29
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 3:54 pm
So the big question in that article is does Stuart have anything special to give?
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 4:04 pm
I'm praying our club doesn't finish last. I've been sending wooden spoons across this country for years and they all have me in their sights. A mate asked for my address last night saying he was sending out early Christmas cards. Have to say I'm a little nervous....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
Next

Return to Canberra Raiders