2015 Rd 26 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Parramatta Eels?

Raiders 13+
9%
Raiders 1-12
55%
Draw
9%
Eels 1-12
9%
Eels 13+
18%

Total votes : 11

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 9:20 pm
Lenny Leonard wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Lenny Leonard wrote:As opposed to James woolford and matt Frawley who when they left the world was going to end

How'd that turn out? He's rated by those in the know..

You been taking lessons from Nick in rudeness?

I was definitely sad to see James Woolford depart the club, and he did show a lot of potential at junior level. He left for the Storm at junior level and played with the Storm's U20s premiership winning team. He didn't come through as a first grade player, but James Woolford was also making junior rep teams. The reason I thought it was sad at the time that he left the Raiders was because we hadn't had the opportunity to even try to transition him to firsts.

Matt Frawley departing? Didn't worry me: http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p1161515

So those "in the know" rate Bateman. Fine. They also rated Matt Allwood two years ago. I didn't. Everyone has an opinion. It'll often be wrong. It might also often be right. I was going on about Jarrod Croker, Anthony Milford, all sorts of players before you'd even heard of them.

Rudeness? It's called having a counter opinion

I know you try your hardest to suppress them

You know, I don't have a dog in this fight, but for the record that is just about the most grossly unreasonable comment you could make about GE.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 9:24 pm
edwahu wrote:They should start him in the front row this weekend. Giving him 10 minutes is a waste of time.

I'm also not sure why TPJ is stuck back in the 20's. It seems like a lesson in humility more than football.

TPJ is in the 20s purely because of his age. You'll see more of him in mounties and maybe some first grade next year. Batemen is right near the end of his 20s career so he needs some exposure to make the next step.
Personally though i'd have him in mounties.
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 9:30 pm
T_R wrote:
Lenny Leonard wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Lenny Leonard wrote:As opposed to James woolford and matt Frawley who when they left the world was going to end

How'd that turn out? He's rated by those in the know..

You been taking lessons from Nick in rudeness?

I was definitely sad to see James Woolford depart the club, and he did show a lot of potential at junior level. He left for the Storm at junior level and played with the Storm's U20s premiership winning team. He didn't come through as a first grade player, but James Woolford was also making junior rep teams. The reason I thought it was sad at the time that he left the Raiders was because we hadn't had the opportunity to even try to transition him to firsts.

Matt Frawley departing? Didn't worry me: http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p1161515

So those "in the know" rate Bateman. Fine. They also rated Matt Allwood two years ago. I didn't. Everyone has an opinion. It'll often be wrong. It might also often be right. I was going on about Jarrod Croker, Anthony Milford, all sorts of players before you'd even heard of them.

Rudeness? It's called having a counter opinion

I know you try your hardest to suppress them

You know, I don't have a dog in this fight, but for the record that is just about the most grossly unreasonable comment you could make about GE.

Well I think **edit*

or Paraguay.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 9:33 pm
Korbin Sims found not guilty by judiciary, while Jack Wighton accepts early guilty plea: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-02/s ... ry/6745220
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 9:50 pm
I think TPJ will be prop late next year
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 11:54 pm
NRL to trial shot clock in Eels Raiders match

The NRL will trial the shot clock for the first time in the top grade with time limits to be placed on the Parramatta and Canberra game on Sunday.

With the Eels and Raiders out of finals contention both clubs agreed to allow the trial to take place. Line dropouts must start within 30 seconds while scrums needs to be formed by 35 seconds otherwise the infringing team will be penalised.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3kaGwA07z

The GH's exclusive Round 26 preview: http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29868
Matt's Match-ups Round 26: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29860&p=1293119#p1293119
Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Fine, don't sack Stuart!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:57 am
Yeah, why not
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Fenno
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 8:27 am
Not a bad idea, I guess, though I would have thought in this game especially fans would be crying out for less actual playing time, not more
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 8:35 am
Very bad feeling about this game....Radrada to score a hat trick
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 8:49 am
Canberra Raiders involved in shot clock trial

Following trials in the Auckland Nines and Holden Cup competition, the Eels-Raiders clash will be the first time the shot clock has been used in a Telstra Premiership fixture ahead of its permanent introduction at the start of the 2016 season.

"Both Parramatta and Canberra have agreed to allow us to use their game on Sunday to continue our trials of the shot clock technology and we certainly appreciate their support through this process," NRL Head of Football Todd Greenberg said.

"This is an opportunity not only to continue to trial the technology and fine-tune the rules attached to the shot clock, but also for fans to get their first look at what will be an important innovation for the game in 2016."

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... d_in_.html

The GH's exclusive Round 26 preview: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29868
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:21 am
I don't like the idea of different time limits. Thats 1 extra thing for the refs to police, and know the difference, and more importantly, GET RIGHT. There is a reason in basketball & NFL its 1 time limit. So, if 30secs is the mark, stick with it. If 35secs is better, or even the NFL's 40secs, whatever, PICK 1!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:24 am
Matt wrote:I don't like the idea of different time limits. Thats 1 extra thing for the refs to police, and know the difference, and more importantly, GET RIGHT. There is a reason in basketball & NFL its 1 time limit. So, if 30secs is the mark, stick with it. If 35secs is better, or even the NFL's 40secs, whatever, PICK 1!

There is a clock counting down

Wont be hard to keep track
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:55 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:
Matt wrote:I don't like the idea of different time limits. Thats 1 extra thing for the refs to police, and know the difference, and more importantly, GET RIGHT. There is a reason in basketball & NFL its 1 time limit. So, if 30secs is the mark, stick with it. If 35secs is better, or even the NFL's 40secs, whatever, PICK 1!

Someone still has to start/ choose the correct countdown though.
If its the same every time, you just hit the button.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Sia Soliola
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 10:19 am
Matt wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

Someone still has to start/ choose the correct countdown though.
If its the same every time, you just hit the button.

I like how inept everyone thinks the refs are that we can't trust them to press the right button.
We have a decision. We're going to the board.

You can see that Jarrod Croker initiates the contact.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:23 am
VIDEO: Vaughan: It's about pride

With the side unable to qualify for the semi-finals Paul Vaughan was asked what there was to play for in the last game of the year.

Video: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... out_p.html

Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:39 am
Really hope this shot clock trial won't affect Croker's chances of being top point scorer again. He deserves it so much. **** me to tears every time the Nine commentators discuss the top goal kickers in the comp without ever mentioning Croker - even though Croker probably has the best percentage this year.
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:29 pm
Shot clock will favour Raiders: Croker

The NRL shot clock to be tested in Canberra's clash against Parramatta on Sunday will play right into the Raiders' game plan, according to skipper Jarrod Croker.

"We think we've got a pretty fit forward pack, so it'll play in our hands a little bit," he said on Thursday.

But in saying that, there are times in the game when teams do kick the ball out to get a breather, so that won't be happening. It should be a fast game. I'm sure the big boys are pretty excited by it all."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-sp ... m=facebook

Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:31 pm
A shot clock on the VR is what is needed also, they already do it in SL.

It is a Raiders game so it usually takes one look to award a no try.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:48 pm
So there's 35 seconds to pack a scrum, but will that stop scrums being re-packed 3 times before play continues, as per what usually happens?
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:09 pm
It worked ok in the NYC. Scrums were packed well within the time limit
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:15 pm
My understanding is its just 35secs to pack it the 1st time. Re-setting it is a ref issue.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:21 pm
Canberra Raiders and Parramatta Eels to be first to trial NRL shot clock

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker is anticipating one of the fastest matches of the year when the NRL introduces shot clock rules for their match against the Parramatta Eels on Sunday. Coaches Ricky Stuart and Brad Arthur agreed to road test the new rules in round 26 ahead of their introduction the the NRL season from round one next year.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... je73l.html

Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 2:06 pm
greeneyed wrote:Korbin Sims found not guilty by judiciary, while Jack Wighton accepts early guilty plea: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-02/s ... ry/6745220

We should only play in white from now on and change our name to the Canberra capitulators. Korbin Sims is yet another to challenge the MRC and come away with a different decision from the judiciary. You never never know if you don't 'have a go'.

Gary Coyne

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 3:27 pm

There are 2 time clocks in the NFL. 40 secs and 25 seconds. 25 is used after certain administration stoppages and delay of game penalties.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 7:49 pm
NRL Match Preview: Raiders v Eels

Whilst the curtain is prematurely closing on the Canberra Raiders’ 2015 season with the side unable to make the semi-finals, the Green Machine is certainly preparing to go out with a bang when they face the Parramatta Eels at Pirtek Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

“We’re disappointed that we won’t be playing in the semi-finals but we still want to finish the year off strongly with a few consecutive wins just like we did last year,” Paul Vaughan said.

“It’s very important to go into pre-season and the start of the 2016 season with a bit of momentum built up from the previous year.

“It’s also a bit of a pride thing; you want to do your best every time you run out onto the field and make your fans proud. Although we can’t make the semi-finals, there’s still plenty to play for.”

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... ew_ra.html

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:03 am
VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Luke Bateman making the most of his opportunity in firsts

After making his NRL debut in 2015, promising forward Luke Bateman plans on using his multiple first grade appearances in the closing stages of the season as a springboard to a bigger and better 2016 season.

Video: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... the_m.html

The Hooter Round 26: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29876
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:38 am
Toviii wrote:Really hope this shot clock trial won't affect Croker's chances of being top point scorer again. He deserves it so much. **** me to tears every time the Nine commentators discuss the top goal kickers in the comp without ever mentioning Croker - even though Croker probably has the best percentage this year.

Don't think this new shot clock applies to kicking for goal - just scrums and dropouts.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 1:07 pm
VIDEO: Captain's Chat: Round 26

Raiders Captain Jarrod Croker previews the Round 26 match against the Parramatta Eels at Pirtek Stadium as well as discussing the shot clock trial for scrums and drop outs.

Video: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... round.html

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 5:34 pm
The Who Cares Cup: Canberra Raiders and Parramatta Eels face off

Brisbane Broncos versus Melbourne Storm? Please. Sydney Roosters versus South Sydney Rabbitohs? Yawn. There's one game this round - the final round of the NRL for 2015 - that trumps them all. It's the epic clash at Parramatta Stadium between the Parramatta Eels and Canberra Raiders, of course. There's even a trophy on offer: The Who Cares Cup.

Not me, that's for sure. I'll watch the game, and probably cheer on the Raiders like I do most weeks. But as far as a caring about a result? Nope, not interested.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3kkkC4Dll

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 5:37 pm
What on earth was that all about?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 5:39 pm
What a ****. Dont watch it. No one has a gun at their head

Simon Woolford
Favourite Player:
Big Mal
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:00 pm
That was a bizarre piece. I suppose it has some merit, i.e blooding TPJ etc. But the tone was just annoying.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:25 pm
I found the headline really annoying... the content wasn't well represented by it... but the content had a lot of annoying stuff as well.

Simon Woolford
Favourite Player:
Big Mal
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:34 pm
greeneyed wrote:I found the headline really annoying... the content wasn't well represented by it... but the content had a lot of annoying stuff as well.

Agree
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 9:10 pm

The Canberra Times even went to the trouble of making an image. Why? Strange way of selling stories to the Canberra public.
PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders