Blake Austin re-signs until end of 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 3:48 pm
That's really dumb cap management as there was no need to upgrade his contract.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:00 pm
IronRaiden wrote:That's really dumb cap management as there was no need to upgrade his contract.
yep, raises are a terrible motivator
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:50 pm
IronRaiden wrote:That's really dumb cap management as there was no need to upgrade his contract.

Standard procedure at every club.
Remember, none of us know what his salary was and by how much it increased.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:55 pm
dubby wrote:

Standard procedure at every club.
Remember, none of us know what his salary was and by how much it increased.
so true dubs. So true
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 5:19 pm
So now other players look and think hey if i go there and play good footy i might get a better deal too.
Edrick The Entertainer
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
chicka
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 6:12 pm
He's a bloke who absolutely blossomed from a bench utility to an origin contender the moment a coach and club pumped up his tyres a bit and told him he's good enough, your our #6.

Is it really so crazy to tell the same bloke, we want you long term, we see your work ethic and we think you'll keep improving?
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 8:12 pm
http://www.nrl.com/nrlcoms-top-50-playe ... fault.aspx

^ He is the 37th best in the league and according to the poll on the same page he is the most wanted player out of 31-40 (currently at 18%).

More good work Austin! Can't wait to see you back on the field in the #6 next year!
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:39 pm
Good to see. Should give him motivation to preform next season. I for one would include a PASS BONUS in the contract.

John Ferguson

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:42 am
Should throw in free parking anywhere near Civic too, hang the expense, he's worth it.
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 9:39 am

If Austin was off contract he would be worth 800-900k today. Give him an extra 100k for the next 2 years, so we sign an extra year for 700k, is by definition great cap management.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:06 am
Beejay wrote:If Austin was off contract he would be worth 800-900k today. Give him an extra 100k for the next 2 years, so we sign an extra year for 700k, is by definition great cap management.

Pure speculation as Dubby says below you have no idea what he's being paid.

dubby wrote:Remember, none of us know what his salary was and by how much it increased.

Fact is there was no need to upgrade his contract.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:30 am
IronRaiden wrote:
Beejay wrote:If Austin was off contract he would be worth 800-900k today. Give him an extra 100k for the next 2 years, so we sign an extra year for 700k, is by definition great cap management.

Pure speculation as Dubby says below you have no idea what he's being paid.

dubby wrote:Remember, none of us know what his salary was and by how much it increased.

Fact is there was no need to upgrade his contract.

The figures are speculative, but the premise is not. Think about it.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:41 am
Given his ties to the western Sydney area, and the type of player he is, the unique look, his genuine want to be a role model and how in demand elite halves are, I think the club is privately VERY concerned about his potential to go back to Sydney, where 3rd party deals and huge exposure would be easy to come by. Make no mistake if he sniffed free agency he'd attract a LOT of high end offers that we might not be able to match dollar for dollar

But looking after him financially and adding time to his deal, we stave off those wolves.

Without seeing the financials it's impossible to say if the upgrade was poor cap management, but as far as pure roster management goes, this was a great move.

Sezer, Hodgson and Austin are the three key young spine members we need to build a premiership around
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 11:12 am
I doubt Austin would be a 700k player on the open market. I hope we are not paying him that when he probably signed on for more like 300k.

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 12:19 pm
Without actual numbers it's impossible to tell whether this is a good move, indifferent move, risky move or bad move.

Given the amount of development Austin needs to do to become a top echelon half, 700-900k would be a risk. 400-500 not so much given he is much much more likely to return that sort of value without much improvement in his game. That is, at that price his running/support game is enough
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 12:40 pm
Raidernation wrote:Good to see. Should give him motivation to preform next season. I for one would include a PASS BONUS in the contract.

he seems much more comfortable passing right to left... seems his left foot step is better than his right also... depending on sezer i guess but i get the feeling he'll be on the left next year and this alone should improve his passing game
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 12:57 pm
He would have been a free agent in 2018, and would have commanded a huge price. We've now just spread that money out over 3 years, which allows us to not have to cut a top line player until more like 2019 or 2020. It's the best way to handle it, and a great way to leverage the negotiating position we were in.
If we have cap space next year, the best thing to do would be to re-sign Jack and hodgo now and give them a bump next year so we don't carry as big of an increase in the 2018-19 years.
So in 2017-18 we might have a team that is worth 50% more than the cap, but their not getting paid their market worth in that year.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 3:44 pm
Pigman wrote:Given his ties to the western Sydney area, and the type of player he is, the unique look, his genuine want to be a role model and how in demand elite halves are, I think the club is privately VERY concerned about his potential to go back to Sydney, where 3rd party deals and huge exposure would be easy to come by. Make no mistake if he sniffed free agency he'd attract a LOT of high end offers that we might not be able to match dollar for dollar

But looking after him financially and adding time to his deal, we stave off those wolves.

Without seeing the financials it's impossible to say if the upgrade was poor cap management, but as far as pure roster management goes, this was a great move.

Sezer, Hodgson and Austin are the three key young spine members we need to build a premiership around

Apparently leaving Sydney was one of the main reasons he chose aswell as obviously being a starting 5/8.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:26 pm
edwahu wrote:I doubt Austin would be a 700k player on the open market. I hope we are not paying him that when he probably signed on for more like 300k.

Moses Mbye is worth 850k on the market right now.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 4:27 pm
Pigman wrote:Given his ties to the western Sydney area, and the type of player he is, the unique look, his genuine want to be a role model and how in demand elite halves are, I think the club is privately VERY concerned about his potential to go back to Sydney, where 3rd party deals and huge exposure would be easy to come by. Make no mistake if he sniffed free agency he'd attract a LOT of high end offers that we might not be able to match dollar for dollar

Again, it takes the Pigman to point out the obvious.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 10:23 am
300K? That would just be low.... Next year is a 6.8M cap spread over 25 players it means the average is 272K each... You think he is only 10% better than the average? Minimal wage is 80K so while there would obviously be a few players on that or the medean being around the 150K mark I still would have no issue putting close to the 500K mark on him, at least after incentives (so for example 200K base with 10K a game appearance, 5K a try, etc.).
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 7, 2015, 5:19 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... N0bq5IjKn8
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
chicka
PostPosted: September 7, 2015, 6:14 pm

I think you're right.

If he played for Penrith, Doggies, Wests or Parra he'd be all over the footy shows and a smart manager would be helping him build a brand.

Whether he turned out to get comfy in front of the camera ala Hindy, Fletcher etc (just to name guys who were good players but not superstars as he isn't yet) or went the "straight man" El Masri route there'd be huge incentives for him in Sydney in a market segment Canberra doesn't really suit.

Those are the hard to pin down factors that some players would consider when choosing Canberra over another club.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 7, 2015, 6:45 pm
Ultima wrote:300K? That would just be low.... Next year is a 6.8M cap spread over 25 players it means the average is 272K each... You think he is only 10% better than the average? Minimal wage is 80K so while there would obviously be a few players on that or the medean being around the 150K mark I still would have no issue putting close to the 500K mark on him, at least after incentives (so for example 200K base with 10K a game appearance, 5K a try, etc.).

I'm saying he probably signed for about 300k last year, given he had 20 something games, was on minimum wage and we offered him a starting 5/8th gig I doubt it would've needed more than that.

I'd agree 500k is realistic but I don't think we would've gone put and given him a 400k pay rise for a one year extension.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 3:38 pm
Austin picked in another 'best 17' for 2015

http://thecrowd.foxsports.com.au/t5/NRL ... 0691#M6357
Previous

Return to Canberra Raiders