2015 Rd 26 V Eels: Game Day and Post Match

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Parramatta Eels?

Raiders 13+
14%
Raiders 1-12
57%
Draw
No votes
Eels 1-12
29%
Eels 13+
No votes

Total votes : 7

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 8:54 pm
2015 Rd 26 V Eels: Game Day and Post Match

Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels
Parramatta Stadium
Sunday 6 September 2015, 2:00pm AEST
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox Sports 1
Radio: ABC, 2CC

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

The Raiders delivered a good 34-18 win over the Penrith Panthers in the final home game of season 2015. It was just the third of the season at home, the worst home record in Raiders' history. Worse even than the inaugural year of 1982. The win made the Raiders safe from the dreaded wooden spoon. The two teams on the bottom of the ladder, the Panthers and the Knights play each other in the final round, and it is likely the loser will find themselves with the unwanted piece of culinary equipment.

Coach Ricky Stuart said that the team approached the match as "the start of 2016" and they were enthusiastic, committed and sent the departing prop David Shillington out as a winner. It was great to see the team enjoying their footy, and celebrating the great tackles and some runaway tries. Both Sam Williams and Blake Austin returned to form, particularly in the first half - with Austin suffering a season ending shoulder injury in the 50th minute. Jack Wighton was outstanding, including his blockbuster tackle which smashed Jamie Soward. The tackle was cleared by the video referees on the night, but not by the match review committee. He will miss the final round of the season as well, after the Raiders took the early plea to a careless high tackle charge.

Ricky Stuart has said he did not contest the charge as he did not want Wighton to start 2016 with 50 carry over points, rather than 12, should the case be lost. However, in my opinion, it is more likely Wighton would have been found not guilty by the judiciary. The judiciary has not been backward in rejecting some of the more egregious charges levelled by the match review committee.

2015 Round 25 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

The Raiders travel to Parramatta Stadium for the final game of the season to take on the Eels. The Eels fans are still bitter about how Ricky Stuart left the Parramatta club for the Raiders two years ago. It'll be an interesting welcome back for the Canberra mentor.

Sisa Waqa moves back to fullback to cover the missing Jack Wighton, allowing Jordan Rapana to return from suspension (shoulder charge) on the wing. Mitch Cornish has been brought into the team at five eighth to cover for Blake Austin. It will be Cornish's final appearance for the Raiders, with his contract not being renewed. It'll be an opportunity for Cornish to show what he can do in front of the Eels' coaches... with the young halfback linked to Parramatta for 2016.

The Eels are unchanged from last week - except that David Gower will start at lock, with Darcy Lussick moving back into the interchange line up.

Late changes: None expected at this stage for the Raiders.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

History: Canberra has won 25 of 51 matches against the Parramatta Eels. In the last 10 matches, the Raiders have won six, the Eels four. In 2014, the Raiders lost to Parramatta in Darwin in Round 22, but finished the season with a 33-20 victory over the Eels at Canberra Stadium. It's been a full year since the teams last met. The Raiders record at Parramatta Stadium is not too flash, winning just seven of 20 clashes. The last time the Raiders played at the venue was, incredibly, in 2010!

2014 Round 22 Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

2014 Round 26 Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

Now, here's some real Raiders-Eels history for you... a famous 14-10 win in 1984 by a fledgling Canberra Raiders at Seiffert Oval against the 1983 premiers... in front of 17,407 people. A classic of its time!

1984 Round 19 Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

Form: The Raiders are on a LLLLW form line in their last five appearances, while the Eels have a LWLWL form line. The Eels were last start losers to the Sharks, 35-28, and beat the Sea Eagles 20-16 in the previous round, virtually putting an end to Manly's finals hopes.

Betting: The Raiders are $2.35 outsiders in the match; the Eels are paying $1.60. The Raiders have 3.5 points start.

Our tip: It is a battle between team 10 (Raiders) and team 11 (Eels). Both have a 9-14 record, so are on equal competition points. Canberra has a +4 points differential, the Eels -121. The Eels' home record (4-7) is the second worst in the league, while the Raiders have won more away than they've lost (6-5).

The remarkable thing about the Raiders' season is that they are the only team outside the top eight with a positive points differential. The Sharks, in fourth, actually have a negative points differential. It reflects the fact the Raiders have lost seven games by four points or less, and five by two point or less. Convert those five two point losses into wins, and Canberra is close to the top four. Despite the unwanted home record, it is why coach Ricky Stuart says the team has improved from 2014. Canberra also is not far from the best attacking team in the competition, just behind the ladder leading Broncos and Roosters. Fix the defence next year (bottom four in the league at present) and there is promise of better things to come.

What the Raiders need to do is continue the theme of building for 2016 in this final outing against the Eels. However, the loss of key players in the spine will be difficult to overcome. I'm tipping an Eels win, by six. Like last week, hopefully I'm wrong!

What they're saying:

Ricky Stuart on the turnaround in attitude in the Panthers clash: "Our theme for today was we need to start 2016 today. We spoke about being professional, we weren't playing for anything outside pride and we've got to make our home ground a tougher place to come for opposition. We've still got a lot to work on, but there's a lot to work on. We need to learn how to close games out and be more resilient for 80 minutes."

Ricky Stuart on Jack Wighton's high tackle charge: "I found myself very confused Tuesday to find the tackle was a grade two charge, and not even a penalty during the game."

Canberra Raiders

1. Sisa Waqa 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Brenko Lee 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Mitchell Cornish 7. Sam Williams 8. Frank Paul Nuuausala 9. Josh Hodgson 10. David Shillington 11. Josh Papalii 12. Jarrad Kennedy 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Luke Bateman 16. Paul Vaughan 17. Shannon Boyd

Coach: Ricky Stuart

Parramatta Eels

1. Reece Robinson 2. Semi Radradra 3. William Hopoate 4. Ryan Morgan 5. Bureta Faraimo 6. Corey Norman 7. Luke Kelly 8. Junior Paulo 9. Isaac De Gois 10. Tim Mannah 11. Manu Ma'u 12. Tepai Moeroa 13. David Gower

14. Pauli Pauli 15. Darcy Lussick 16. Daniel Alvaro 17. Peni Terepo

Coach: Brad Arthur

Officials:

Referees: Adam Devcich, Chris James; Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Anthony Elliott; Video Referees: Shayne Hayne, Daniel Irvine

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLEelsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #COYR2015 #WearGreen2015 #GreenNation #GreenMachine #FromAllAngles
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 9:16 pm
Run at Kelly all day!!!
Co-host of The Dad Zone Podcast http://bit.ly/thedadzone
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 1, 2015, 10:40 pm
El_Capitano wrote:Run at Kelly all day!!!

I'd stay away from that Mr Kelly, he's pretty creepy.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 7:32 am
:D

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 11:50 am
It's a pity we didn't get Checcin one last time for 2015.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 12:20 pm
Devcich... **** sake
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 8:18 pm
We better win this or we will never hear the end of it from eels fans....they are already over confident on their forum saying the faders will lose and they will finish above us for the second year straight.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 8:56 pm
Lucky wrote:We better win this or we will never hear the end of it from eels fans....they are already over confident on their forum saying the faders will lose and they will finish above us for the second year straight.

Going to be tough to be beat us with 2 of our best players out . The Parra fans can beat their chests with pride after that. :lol:
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: September 2, 2015, 9:08 pm
Just remind them of who kept them out of the 8 last year.
Remember when they made a line break and 8 of our players were coming across in cover defense? Good times.
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 8:31 pm
come on raiders fans in Sydney lets see a sea of green there tomorrow like at the gold coast!

Toots needs help to get his points and sticky needs support to survive the angry eels fans (yep they are still angry at him)

And shillo and co need a good send off from green!

lets show the eels what real fans are like!

will be in GA (on my own tomorrow :( ) and want to see heaps of green!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 10:58 pm
cat wrote:come on raiders fans in Sydney lets see a sea of green there tomorrow like at the gold coast!

Yeah, because we sure made a difference!!
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:28 pm
Lucky wrote:We better win this or we will never hear the end of it from eels fans....they are already over confident on their forum saying the faders will lose and they will finish above us for the second year straight.

I'm glad finishing above us is a big thing for them.. I'm not sure they remember what making the 8 is like
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Joseph 'the worm' Tapine
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 1:07 am
Game day.

Radradarara to get 4 tries....easy.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 7:17 am
Game day.

I havent seen a full game this week. Thats pretty much unheard of for me.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 7:35 am
1992 wrote:Game day.

Radradarara to get 4 tries....easy.

And Eddie to trot over for 5
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 7:51 am
Final game day of the year, folks.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 7:58 am
T_R wrote:Final game day of the year, folks.

So what do we do until March when it all starts again ?
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 8:14 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:Game day.

Same, watched first half of Panthers/Knights but thats it.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 8:26 am
-GD- wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:Game day.

Same, watched first half of Panthers/Knights but thats it.

Took the missus to the movies last night

Saw Vacation, pretty funny TBH
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 8:55 am
Last game for 2015. It's been another frustrating year and the outcome of this match means very little. I'll still be cheering them on.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Fenno
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 9:15 am
Pretty pumped for this one because win, lose or draw I'll be up $100 at full-time on account of not backing the Raidrrs to make the semis a few months back
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 10:26 am
Big Jack wrote:Pretty pumped for this one because win, lose or draw I'll be up $100 at full-time on account of not backing the Raidrrs to make the semis a few months back

Some very interesting logic there. I didn't back them either. How much does that put me up?
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 10:34 am
im also up large because i didnt back them.

Good times
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 10:39 am
Just got to work out how to spend the money now.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 10:53 am
Radrada to have a field day
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 11:06 am
Our spine looks pretty ordinary on paper. Not convinced theirs is any better.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 11:09 am
Radradra for a hat trick in the first half
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 11:17 am
Pouring with rain
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 11:27 am
cat wrote:Pouring with rain

That doesnt bode well for Toots
8 points in the wet will be a tough get. Might need the boys to give him a 'cherry pick' try or 2.
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 11:28 am
Happen to be in Parra today. Was going to go to the match but current weather is making me reconsider :doubt:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 11:33 am
Pigman wrote:im also up large because i didnt back them.

Good times

Looks like we are all living the high life this weekend!
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Joseph 'the worm' Tapine
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 12:13 pm
Nice to see the FG boys watching the 20s. Toots was posting on the GH.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 1:01 pm
Welcome to our coverage of today's NRL match between the Canberra Raiders and Parramatta Eels. The final line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Sisa Waqa 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Brenko Lee 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Mitchell Cornish 7. Sam Williams 8. Frank Paul Nuuausala 9. Josh Hodgson 10. David Shillington 11. Josh Papalii 12. Jarrad Kennedy 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Luke Bateman 16. Paul Vaughan 17. Shannon Boyd

Parramatta Eels

1. Reece Robinson 2. Semi Radradra 3. William Hopoate 4. Ryan Morgan 5. Bureta Faraimo 6. Corey Norman 7. Luke Kelly 8. Junior Paulo 9. Isaac De Gois 10. Tim Mannah 11. Manu Ma'u 12. Tepai Moeroa 15. Darcy Lussick

13. David Gower 14. Pauli Pauli 16. Daniel Alvaro 17. Peni Terepo
The official Greenhouse score update service
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Joseph 'the worm' Tapine
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 1:17 pm
Good win by the boys in NYC.

Is there any tail on this forum or is it just dudes?
Need a 'rate the girls thread'

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 1:24 pm
At the game , rain has stopped

And there is little green in the crowd ! Where is everyone??

Small crowd in general at the moment
Next

Return to Canberra Raiders