Props to recruit for next year...

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:38 am
I actually spend like two hours (as I couldn't sleep) making this list, then the power went out.... So here is a much shorter list... I had every prop from the under 20's and NSW/QLD cup listed too but **** you Victorian power grid...

(Stats are: Games/Tries/Tackle Breaks/Tackles/Mistackles/Offloads/Errors/Meters Gained) [Tackle Effectiveness,Metres per Game]

Sam Thaiday (19G=2Tr/12TB/593Ta/18MT/1o/5e/1896mg)[97%,99.8m]- Still hasn't re-signed with the Broncos, getting older but experience would be useful really.

Willie Mason (20G=1Tr/25TB/379Ta/22MT/12o/4e/1855mg)[94%,92.8m] - Possibly past it but thinks he still has another year left and he isn't bad stats wise (better than most of ours right now which is sad)... Not sure if he would be super useful but we could get him on low cash considering he has had no offers so far. Media commitments may mean he doesn't want to leave Sydney though.

Mitchell Dodds (15G=2Tr/5TB/330Ta/7MT/1o/2e/624mg)[98%,41.6m] - Another young prop but surprised he hasn't been signed up yet... Maybe worth a gamble and at worse a depth signing.

Herman Ese'Ese (1G=0Tr/2TB/8Ta/0MT/0o/0e/44mg)[100%,44m] - Only 20 years old, looked alright in the one game he had very limited minutes in but I haven't seen or heard much of him since.

Tinirau Arona (12G=0Tr/2TB/172Ta/11MT/0o/1e/548mg)[94%,45.7m] - 26 and hasn't exactly set the world on fire, pass.

Matt Prior (21G=0Tr/9TB/403Ta/16MT/12o/2e/1709mg)[96%,81.4m] - I think he is worth a shot, coming into his own and a bit of a late bloomer but most props are.

Sam Tagataese (17G=1Tr/15TB/244Ta/13MT/14o/8e/1315mg)[96%,77.4m] - Still not re-signed with the Sharks and there was a lot of talk he would leave mid-season but it never happened. Certainly in the maybe pile!

~~~~ This is where even my backup was gone so I just did even less from here onwards, I had SO MUCH crap written up :( :( :(

TLL - Only played one game this year then was injured, enough said.

Ben Hannant (23G=0Tr/23TB/614Ta/28MT/14o/8e/2540mg)[95%,110.4m] - Hasn't been re-signed yet. The limited interchanges next year may be an issue for him, worth a shot though. Has been in OK form just not back to rep level.

Sam Anderson - Young kid, played one game, was OK for a debut. Maybe as depth but we have enough young props I think.

Luke Page - We could get him back I guess... Showed potential and obviously isn't wanted at the Dragons for next year.

George Rose (7G=0Tr/4TB/69Ta/8MT/4o/0e/540mg)[88%,77.1m] - No way he works with less interchanges, he was getting too old as it was.

Rulon Nutira - Massive young prop, yet to get to firsts and was hyped up big time for a while there, not sure what the deal is but this situation happens a lot in league where they don't have the dedication to get into firsts.

Mark Ioane - Think Fensom with less tackles, less fitness, and less metres in attack. So no thanks.

Ava Seumanufagai (22G=1Tr/18TB/415Ta/11MT/1o/3e/2090mg)[97%,95m] - Maybe? He wasn't that bad in what I've seen.

I think I missed some on my quick pissed off run back through but **** it...

Other random long shots:

Sam Burgess - He may still have some life left in him and want to come back, we should have the cap room if we can get an NRL bonus for him by "poaching" him from another code.

There is also Tevita Pangai Junior could break through but I still feel we need to buy some more players....
Fine, don't sack Stuart!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 5:03 am
I'd take Prior
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 6:00 am
Tagataese is expected to re-sign any day
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Fenno
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 6:21 am
Wow, so many stats. He's the UltiMatt
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 7:54 am
Hannant also re-signing
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 8:44 am
Next year is a transition year and 2017 will be the end of the 4 prop side. IMO we might be best served taking a leaf out of Bennett's book and moving towards a more mobile pack. The perfect recruit would be Tamou but if we can't manage to recruit him we should probably look at fast tracking TPJ and perhaps moving Sia into the middle. The numbers on their backs won't change the way Fensom or Sia play and both, despite being smaller than your average prop are still very strong defenders and can make quality tough metres in the middle.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:02 am
FPN, Boyd, Vaughan,.... Then Nada.

I've no idea why we didn't keep Edwards or extend KOD for a year until we snare a very good prop for 2017.
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:22 am
dubby wrote:FPN, Boyd, Vaughan,.... Then Nada.

I've no idea why we didn't keep Edwards or extend KOD for a year until we snare a very good prop for 2017.

Because Tamou will be here in 2016.
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:23 am

Would have kept Nicholls before those 2
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Fensom, Wighton, Vaughan, Croker, Hodgson,
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:34 am
A lot of those guys have been, or are in the process of, being re-signed.

However, id take Arona or Seumanufangai. i like what ive seen from both. Id add Peni Terepo & Pauli Pauli from Eels to that list too (not sure if either are off contract or haven't already been re-signed).

Both Arona and Terepo are more of a mobile prop/ lock, in a similar mould to Eastwood, and therefore bigger than the likes of Fensom (101kgs) or Bateman (98kgs), as they are both 106kgs. Now Arona is stuck behind a heap of backrowers at Sharks, you'd think a chance at a regular start would be a bonus - however, I have a feeling he has re-signed, coz Ive had this conversation before. Terepo has played most of the yr, and is tough running the ball and tackling. Both are 'no frills' footballers, but both look tough goer's to me. Could be handy 4th props.

Seumanufangai looks the most polished as a prop, but still has plenty of work to do. Runs hard, has an offload, and some footwork. Does have an error or 2 in him though. Not sure about his D either. Don't really notice him in defence, and the last thing we need is a 2nd FPN.

Pauli Pauli... well he could just as easily be the next Sonny-Bill as he could be the next Dave Taylor. He has size, speed, ball skills, can play wide or tight. He could be anything OR nothing. Its a gamble!

***SELF EDIT - ignore Terepo & Pauli Pauli, both have re-signed. I just looked.
Thanks to Aero for the Sig.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 9:39 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:

Would have kept Nicholls before those 2

Me too mate.

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 10:52 am
I like Sia to prop, reminds me of Ruban Wiki. This is a specky that will get panned but T-REX who the bulldogs want to get rid of to bench prop depending on the money. Also Eastwood as a prop sounds ok.

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 10:54 am
Nicholls wanted to leave....you can't keep someone who doesn't want to stay

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 10:55 am
+1 Sia to prop
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 10:57 am
Raiders666 wrote:+1 Sia to prop
wiki 2.0
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 10:58 am
Raiders666 wrote:Nicholls wanted to leave....you can't keep someone who doesn't want to stay

Agree

But his wanting to leave is all about playing FG

If he pkayed FG here then he wouldn't be leaving
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:09 am
How longs kenny bromwich sogned to melb for?
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:10 am
What's going on Ricky ?
You've let Tilse, PAGE, Nicholls and Shilllington walk. ( have I missed anyone )

I hope you've got a joker up your sleeve because we are short of big guys.
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment
Boogs 2014 Runner Up 'Obsession of the year' (can't recall who won)
RIP green94 2010-2015

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:19 am
-PJ- wrote:What's going on Ricky ?
You've let Tilse, PAGE, Nicholls and Shilllington walk. ( have I missed anyone )

I'm happy all of the above have left and throw in KoD into the mix. I think the biggest disappointment this season is that Vaughan hasn't emerged as a forward leader. Instead of looking for a impact bench prop which is easy to find we need a starting general which is near impossible.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:37 am
Raidernation wrote:

I'm happy all of the above have left and throw in KoD into the mix. I think the biggest disappointment this season is that Vaughan hasn't emerged as a forward leader. Instead of looking for a impact bench prop which is easy to find we need a starting general which is near impossible.
vaughan and boyd seem to have struck up a partnership on the field (and off) both seem to be on the field at the same time often which is good for their development. We need our other props in the rotation to strike up a similar bond with them

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:51 am
simo wrote:
Raidernation wrote:

vaughan and boyd seem to have struck up a partnership on the field (and off) both seem to be on the field at the same time often which is good for their development. We need our other props in the rotation to strike up a similar bond with them

I agree with you regarding boyd and vaughan off the bench playing together but I thought Vaughan would have made the starting spot his own this year leading the boys around the park but that doesn't seem to have happened. Vaughan has been playing in firsts for a few years now and I thought he would have made the step up to starting and being a dominant forward but it still seems too early for him.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
chicka
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:57 am
Yep, Sia would be a good option. He's super lean right now for a 100kg guy so he could add some size if needed and he doesn't lack power. He doesn't carve up running on the edges so we don't lose much attack and we need sting in the middle.

With Barnett, Whitehead and Papa we have options on the edge already.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:01 pm
Raidernation wrote:
simo wrote:
Raidernation wrote:

I agree with you regarding boyd and vaughan off the bench playing together but I thought Vaughan would have made the starting spot his own this year leading the boys around the park but that doesn't seem to have happened. Vaughan has been playing in firsts for a few years now and I thought he would have made the step up to starting and being a dominant forward but it still seems too early for him.

If we don't sign Tamou Vaughan will have to step up.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:17 pm
Ultima wrote:I actually spend like two hours (as I couldn't sleep) making this list, then the power went out....

Hahahaha fantastic stuff
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:40 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:Nicholls wanted to leave....you can't keep someone who doesn't want to stay

Agree

But his wanting to leave is all about playing FG

If he pkayed FG here then he wouldn't be leaving

Fair point

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:50 pm
Would hate to see TPJ play prop in the NRL i reckon his skill set suites the edges a whole lot better
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:01 pm
Raiders666 wrote:Would hate to see TPJ play prop in the NRL i reckon his skill set suites the edges a whole lot better

I can't recall him playing on an edge for a very long time.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:05 pm
julian87 wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:Would hate to see TPJ play prop in the NRL i reckon his skill set suites the edges a whole lot better

I can't recall him playing on an edge for a very long time.

He hasn't for a while..definitley being groomed for the front row but i reckon he played his best footy out wide. Might be just me though
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:10 pm
Sam Moa. His current contract runs out end of 2016, make him a long term offer (3 years at least) and I reckon he'd jump at it.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:12 pm
IronRaiden wrote:Sam Moa. His current contract runs out end of 2016, make him a long term offer (3 years at least) and I reckon he'd jump at it.

I rate him , he would be a good addition. Thought he signed or was going to re-sign
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:17 pm
Re-signed last year for two (15-16). He'll be offered probably a two year extension and for minimal coin given the Rooster pack as it stands, so offering him a longer term deal would be enticing for him imo. Their pack never missed a beat against Manly with him replacing JWH who has been in super form.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:21 pm
Matagi from rooster or latu from panthers?
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:22 pm
Matagi has signed with the Panthers - http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/suaia-m ... 7501715787
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Fensom, Wighton, Vaughan, Croker, Hodgson,
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:24 pm

'Lolo screams edge backrower, BUT, is just as effective up the middle. Papalii is similar, I think TPJ too. In fact, given TPJ has a good offload, middle third is actually better.
Thanks to Aero for the Sig.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:25 pm
IronRaiden wrote:Re-signed last year for two (15-16). He'll be offered probably a two year extension and for minimal coin given the Rooster pack as it stands, so offering him a longer term deal would be enticing for him imo. Their pack never missed a beat against Manly with him replacing JWH who has been in super form.

I remember an article saying he was going to re-sign , after all the rumours had him going to Penrith. But there hasnt been anything done by the look of it.

Id too be throwing money his way .
Next

Return to Canberra Raiders