Props to recruit for next year...

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Rick
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5634
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Rick » September 6, 2015, 12:25 pm

Sid wrote:Isn't Tolman contracted?
Yeah to the Raiders for three years. Can you even read?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home
Image

User avatar
Ultima
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5983
Joined: January 18, 2005, 9:46 pm
Favourite Player: Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Ultima » September 6, 2015, 4:02 pm

In the under 20 (and yes I know it's the under 20's) TPJ scored a pretty amazing try. Six defenders, still got it down...
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!

User avatar
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Posts: 47787
Joined: February 24, 2008, 7:47 am
Favourite Player: Captain Croker
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Raidersrawesome » September 6, 2015, 6:46 pm

His time will come

He can play 20s next year but Im guessing he will be at Mounties and in FG
Image

User avatar
Ultima
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5983
Joined: January 18, 2005, 9:46 pm
Favourite Player: Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Ultima » September 6, 2015, 7:09 pm

Also, with the entire signing a prop thing being overly quite on the media front, is anyone else worried Stuart thinks the game is going to change so much with the modification to the interchange rule that we don't need four props anymore?
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!

Kermit
John Ferguson
Posts: 2364
Joined: April 9, 2006, 8:42 pm
Location: Convict Central

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Kermit » September 6, 2015, 9:38 pm

Raiders666 wrote:I'm hearing we have Tolman
What's your source mate??

Great if true :D
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21001
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Pigman » September 6, 2015, 9:47 pm

Tamou looked ok the other night, coming back from another neck injury

I just have a nagging feeling SOMETHING is going to happen that involves a legitmate name player. Stuart has earned the right for us to expect him to get it done as far as recruitment goes.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20839
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Seiffert82 » September 6, 2015, 9:56 pm

You don't cut 3 reasonable quality middle third players without some sort of plan.

Stuart has admitted we have a stack of cash available and he is quite clear that is the position our squad needs improvement.

User avatar
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 39721
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by The Nickman » September 6, 2015, 10:04 pm

Tolman would really be a fantastic get IMO, I'd even prefer him to Tamou
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 115223
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by greeneyed » September 6, 2015, 10:08 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:You don't cut 3 reasonable quality middle third players without some sort of plan.

Stuart has admitted we have a stack of cash available and he is quite clear that is the position our squad needs improvement.
He's said "how many" recruits "depends" on how much cap is needed. I'm hoping for a reasonably big name, even if it is not Tamou.
Image

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20839
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Seiffert82 » September 6, 2015, 10:19 pm

greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:You don't cut 3 reasonable quality middle third players without some sort of plan.

Stuart has admitted we have a stack of cash available and he is quite clear that is the position our squad needs improvement.
He's said "how many" recruits "depends" on how much cap is needed. I'm hoping for a reasonably big name, even if it is not Tamou.
Yeah, they've obviously chosen to play it low key after the JWH situation. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm not convinced we'll end up with a big name, but it won't be though a lack of trying.

Tamou would be good (if not a little risky) and Tolman would be great. I have no doubt we have enough cash to equal any other offers from other clubs.

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21001
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Pigman » September 6, 2015, 10:23 pm

I really wish we'd have nabbed JHW. He'd be just what the doctor ordered in our pack.
A hard, tough, aggressive pack leader who shames lesser players into following him.

Amazing how far he's come from being Jane Waerea-Hargreaves
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18482
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Dr Zaius » September 7, 2015, 9:41 am

Seiffert82 wrote:Tamou would be good (if not a little risky) and Tolman would be great. I have no doubt we have enough cash to equal any other offers from other clubs.
Except Brisbane who still have some money left over from when Lazarus went to Melbourne.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

mick63
Simon Woolford
Posts: 466
Joined: June 28, 2009, 5:04 pm
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,sisa wanga

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by mick63 » September 7, 2015, 10:22 am

My guess is that something has been done and will be announced after said players team has won/ been eliminated

User avatar
Ultima
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5983
Joined: January 18, 2005, 9:46 pm
Favourite Player: Croker
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Ultima » September 7, 2015, 2:40 pm

Well if it's anyone from the Sharks or Dragons that should be Monday next week then :P

Agree there has to be something basically on the books now... It makes sense that if a player was planning on leaving his club and they were in finals contention with him being a bit part of their team they would want the announcement to be after the final serious so there wasn't any off-field dramas. Are the NRL still under that "15 days cooling off period" rule?
Get Stuart to realise he is holding the club back and step down to player manager!

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1793
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Beejay » September 7, 2015, 3:23 pm

Pigman wrote:I really wish we'd have nabbed JHW. He'd be just what the doctor ordered in our pack.
A hard, tough, aggressive pack leader who shames lesser players into following him.

Amazing how far he's come from being Jane Waerea-Hargreaves
Image

User avatar
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24211
Joined: March 14, 2008, 6:55 pm
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Manbush » September 7, 2015, 6:37 pm

greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:You don't cut 3 reasonable quality middle third players without some sort of plan.

Stuart has admitted we have a stack of cash available and he is quite clear that is the position our squad needs improvement.
He's said "how many" recruits "depends" on how much cap is needed. I'm hoping for a reasonably big name, even if it is not Tamou.
If the rumours are true about McCrone possibly off to ESL that would open up a fair bit of cap.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1793
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Beejay » September 7, 2015, 7:50 pm

Buttriss was on the cap for $280k this year (horses mouth). We have plenty of wiggle room being opened up in 16/17.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 27460
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by -TW- » September 7, 2015, 8:05 pm

Jesus that's horrible.. That's at least $130k too much

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 27750
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: The Ponds.

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by dubby » September 7, 2015, 8:10 pm

We paid $180k for Lagi Setu.
Image

Kermit
John Ferguson
Posts: 2364
Joined: April 9, 2006, 8:42 pm
Location: Convict Central

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Kermit » September 7, 2015, 8:41 pm

I'm hoping $180k for Setu was over 18 years.....even then that's too much!!!
Wtf were we thinking!!! :x :shock: :cmon
Golden Boogs Winner 2006 - Best Newcomer
Golden Boogs Winner 2008 - Best Couple

"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.

"this is just Groundhog Day for the Raiders" (Laurie Daley 2/6/12 on 40-0 defeat to Wests)

Raiders666
David Furner
Posts: 3419
Joined: June 9, 2013, 11:25 am
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Raiders666 » September 7, 2015, 8:51 pm

What's happening with Buttriss anyway? Not much has been said at all....Surely we aren't re-signing him?

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11900
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by bonehead » September 7, 2015, 8:55 pm

Probably depending on garvey
Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
Beejay
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1793
Joined: April 4, 2007, 4:47 pm
Location: Shellharbour

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Beejay » September 7, 2015, 9:04 pm

Raiders666 wrote:What's happening with Buttriss anyway? Not much has been said at all....Surely we aren't re-signing him?
We want to keep him around for another 12 months ( greatly reduced contract), but he's pretty much over being professional. Sick of all the seriousness of it. He's weighing up a few offers of overseas and capt/coach in the bush. Most likely will go overseas or take a good job/playing deal in country league.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20839
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Seiffert82 » September 7, 2015, 9:33 pm

Given up being a professional. :lol:

That's like Bileducks saying he's given up being a top bloke.

User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3059
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Lui_Bon » September 7, 2015, 10:26 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:Given up being a professional. :lol:

That's like Bileducks saying he's given up being a top bloke.
hahaha hmph. That's not entirely fair - to Buttsy.
Image

Bay53
Jason Croker
Posts: 4977
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Bay53 » September 7, 2015, 10:47 pm

Beejay wrote:Buttriss was on the cap for $280k this year (horses mouth). We have plenty of wiggle room being opened up in 16/17.
What is Matt McIlwrick doing at Roosters? He only had a one year deal. I like Baptise but McIlwrick could be a good foil for Hodgson. A lot of time this year Kiwi could have played both the roll of both Baptise covering hooker for 15 mins and the Jarrod Kennedy covering Shaun Fensom at lock.

We could do worse than having him back.

Bay53
Jason Croker
Posts: 4977
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Bay53 » September 7, 2015, 10:49 pm

Beejay wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:What's happening with Buttriss anyway? Not much has been said at all....Surely we aren't re-signing him?
We want to keep him around for another 12 months ( greatly reduced contract), but he's pretty much over being professional. Sick of all the seriousness of it. He's weighing up a few offers of overseas and capt/coach in the bush. Most likely will go overseas or take a good job/playing deal in country league.
No surprise Mounties have returned to form since he returned from injury. Has been playing very well lately.

User avatar
zim
Jason Croker
Posts: 4770
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by zim » September 7, 2015, 11:53 pm

Bay53 wrote:
Beejay wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:What's happening with Buttriss anyway? Not much has been said at all....Surely we aren't re-signing him?
We want to keep him around for another 12 months ( greatly reduced contract), but he's pretty much over being professional. Sick of all the seriousness of it. He's weighing up a few offers of overseas and capt/coach in the bush. Most likely will go overseas or take a good job/playing deal in country league.
No surprise Mounties have returned to form since he returned from injury. Has been playing very well lately.
Nicholls has a lot to do with that as well.
Matt McIlwrick would be a handy pick up for a bench spot with the reduced interchange.

FROG
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 517
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by FROG » September 8, 2015, 6:19 am

Mcillrick is terrible. This year proved it for mine. Was given a solid chance to prove himself and basically proved what i feared all along. M Aubusen made him look like a 2nd rate hooker when they shared 9 duties at the start of the year. If you want someone with versatility there is a bloke i would target...

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 28966
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Matt » September 8, 2015, 8:34 am

Bay53 wrote:
Beejay wrote:Buttriss was on the cap for $280k this year (horses mouth). We have plenty of wiggle room being opened up in 16/17.
What is Matt McIlwrick doing at Roosters? He only had a one year deal. I like Baptise but McIlwrick could be a good foil for Hodgson. A lot of time this year Kiwi could have played both the roll of both Baptise covering hooker for 15 mins and the Jarrod Kennedy covering Shaun Fensom at lock.

We could do worse than having him back.
I totally agree.
I was a little shocked when we released him.
BUT, if we are going to have 2 players on the bench playing 30mins between them, why not roll it into 1 guy?!?!

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 28966
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Matt » September 8, 2015, 8:36 am

FROG wrote:Mcillrick is terrible. This year proved it for mine. Was given a solid chance to prove himself and basically proved what i feared all along. M Aubusen made him look like a 2nd rate hooker when they shared 9 duties at the start of the year. If you want someone with versatility there is a bloke i would target...
MM was only getting 20-25mins a game. The Chooks would start him then leave Aubusson out there for the remained of the game. Hard to prove much like that.

User avatar
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5141
Joined: March 10, 2013, 7:13 pm
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Thombre » September 8, 2015, 8:47 am

Trade back for frank Paul?
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 28966
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by Matt » September 8, 2015, 9:11 am

Hbomb wrote:Trade back for frank Paul?
In a heartbeat!

User avatar
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1377
Joined: July 31, 2014, 6:52 am
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by IronRaiden » September 8, 2015, 10:36 am

Anyone see Moa take on the Burgi twins on Friday night and own them? He would literally be worth his weight in gold.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.

User avatar
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 39721
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Props to recruit for next year...

Post by The Nickman » September 8, 2015, 11:13 am

IronRaiden wrote:Anyone see Moa take on the Burgi twins on Friday night and own them? He would literally be worth his weight in gold.
So he's literally worth about 5.5 million dollars??
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Post Reply