Luke Bateman

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 11:12 am
With the talk that he may be moving to prop forward next year I'd just like to say this is a great move. He reminds me of Josh Mcguire when he was coming through. I think a lot of the criticism of this kid has been over the top for an undersized forward/lock at 19 who through hard work during the pre-season earned his spot. I just hope some of the others in the lower grades take note of what you can achieve by working hard and competing.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:16 pm
Yeah the kid has a good motor, great work ethic, and a good head on his shoulders, turning into a workhorse long minute prop could add good variation when mixed with Vaughan, Boyd and FPN
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:21 pm
He's needing to add 15kg though
Edrick The Entertainer
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:30 pm
I know these can be inaccurate but according to both player profiles Bateman only weighs 5kg less than Tolman, at his age he could just about put on that much bulk in an off season. I reckon he'll make a good solid 4th/depth prop, maybe not right at the start of next year but certainly in 12-18 months time.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 12:33 pm
Yep 15kg is more than what's required if he'll be a Tolman type prop, but with the kids attitude and work ethic you can guarantee he'll be doing everything he can to reach the required weight over the off season.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:27 pm
Bateman and TPJ should be the starting props for Mounties in round 1 2016 and they should stay there until they are ready. I don't mind the idea of giving youngsters a taste of FG but if he is going to develop into more than a 15 minute bench player he needs to start playing 50 or 60 minutes each and every week against men and in the position he is being groomed to play.

Boyd, Fensom and Vaughan did their apprenticeship in reserve grade and none of them have looked out of place since stepping up.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 1:27 pm
He is 98kgs according to the Raiders website. I believe need to be at 105kgs plus to play as a prop, and you only want to be carrying 1 guy at that size, as you 4th mobile prop; which Bateman would probably be. You would prefer your props to be around 110kgs though.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Fenno
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 2:03 pm
bonehead wrote:He's needing to add 15kg though

So? I can put on 15kg in a week over Christmas
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 4:56 pm
Thought i read 95kg but either way in the current game you don't want too be far under 110 in the middle.
If he can be 107 - 108 rock hard in march let him rip, we just need to remember he's only 19 right now but getting him 20 games next year will see him in the right frame for 2017
Edrick The Entertainer
Bradley Clyde

Favourite Player:
Lynch, Wilson, Sherman
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
Hear we go again, 10 kgs of rock hard muscle in 3 months.

People been watching too many Mike Chang clips on youtube.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 5:37 pm
Bateman has huge legs, get that upper body cranking in the off season and he could do it.
John Ferguson
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 6:14 pm
CJ42 wrote:Bateman has huge legs, get that upper body cranking in the off season and he could do it.

Yes I can't believe how big his legs are in comparison to his upper body.

For those old enough, I think he could be an Alan Cann style prop.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 7:25 pm
I could certainly see him becoming somewhat similar to Jacob Lillyman in a couple of years time, I think it's a good move, you don't need superstar front rowers to succeed in the nrl, I don't think I even know who's playing prop for Brisbane other than Blair and Thaiday
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 8:06 pm
LP Raider wrote:Hear we go again, 10 kgs of rock hard muscle in 3 months.

People been watching too many Mike Chang clips on youtube.

Thats my point LP, it's a massive ask of a 19yo kid to go from 98kg to a front rower in the nrl.
Edrick The Entertainer

Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: September 3, 2015, 10:54 pm
I never rated Shannon until sticky trained him the right way , willing to take the same punt on Bateman and you never know he might be a star
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 9:55 pm
Im worried about TPJ. I really think his natural gifts are wasted in the middle. He's talented enough to still make a go of it but i really think his abilities are better suited to the edge.

He's got limitless potential, i really hope he doesnt fizzle out with the move to the middle.

I think the move for Bateman is perfect.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:05 pm
It's worth a try I guess. If you don't try this he just goes to another club.

But realistically him at prop and Fensom at lock isn't viable. Not even **** close. O don't think that's even up for dicsussion. Nothing will change my mind on that because I bloody love Tolman and would love to see him in lime green and I think even him and Fensom would be a stretch.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:10 pm
julian87 wrote:It's worth a try I guess. If you don't try this he just goes to another club.

But realistically him at prop and Fensom at lock isn't viable. Not even **** close. O don't think that's even up for dicsussion. Nothing will change my mind on that because I bloody love Tolman and would love to see him in lime green and I think even him and Fensom would be a stretch.

Whys it not viable?? Fensom makes prop metres through the middle now as it is, one or the other at prop makes sense with less interchange
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:10 pm
Matt wrote:He is 98kgs according to the Raiders website. I believe need to be at 105kgs plus to play as a prop, and you only want to be carrying 1 guy at that size, as you 4th mobile prop; which Bateman would probably be. You would prefer your props to be around 110kgs though.

If you pair up Bateman withBoyd... they should average out to around the ideal prop weight right? :lol:
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:11 pm
Pigman wrote:Im worried about TPJ. I really think his natural gifts are wasted in the middle. He's talented enough to still make a go of it but i really think his abilities are better suited to the edge.

He's got limitless potential, i really hope he doesnt fizzle out with the move to the middle.

I think the move for Bateman is perfect.

I'm with you Pigman...I'd have TPJ out wide everyday of the week
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:14 pm
VictorTheViking wrote:
julian87 wrote:It's worth a try I guess. If you don't try this he just goes to another club.

Whys it not viable?? Fensom makes prop metres through the middle now as it is, one or the other at prop makes sense with less interchange

Nah he really doesn't. If it comes down to really tough, hard yards hit ups, then Fensom gets absolutely belted. His work rate is unquestionable yeah, but he gets dominated unless he's taking a hit up when we're on a roll. I think that's undeniable.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:15 pm
Well TPJ isn't getting near first grade on an edge while we have Soliola, Papalii, Whitehead and Barnett.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 10:50 pm
julian87 wrote:Well TPJ isn't getting near first grade on an edge while we have Soliola, Papalii, Whitehead and Barnett.

Why not? He's more talented than Barnett (as much as I like Barnett) and we've got absolutely no idea how Whitehead will transition to NRL footy
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 11:07 pm
I'd rather see Papalii and Soliola play prop before TPJ
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 11:46 pm
If TPJ isn't already to big to play nrl on an edge then it won't be long before he is imo, and thats not knocking the guys diet or anything naturally he's just a massive human
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 8:44 am
Bateman will bulk up with physical maturity and focused conditioning programs. He will turn into a very good metre maker in the middle third. He has some really good footwork which will counteract his smaller stature. Whether he's wearing 13 or 10 his role will be similar.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 10:22 am
julian87 wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote:

Nah he really doesn't. If it comes down to really tough, hard yards hit ups, then Fensom gets absolutely belted. His work rate is unquestionable yeah, but he gets dominated unless he's taking a hit up when we're on a roll. I think that's undeniable.

Cant agree there...he does far better than people think...a hell of a lot better than frankie
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:52 am
Fensom needs to bulk up. He dropped all that weight a few seasons ago when Sticky needed the Big 4 to drop size and I never really understood why Fensom needed to

He's been much less effective since then. Needs to bulk back up to where he was
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Return to Canberra Raiders