"The Hooter" NRL Round 26 Preview - Green V Eels

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Terry Campese

Favourite Player:
Mal
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 7:28 am
"The Hooter" NRL Round 26 Preview - Green V Eels

As the end to Season 2015 draws closer with each fluffy slippers run from dummy half and Brenko Lee "O-LAY" outside edge defending (adios el matador), the Hooter is left to try and take stock of a game, and a season, and a future.

Things I won't miss include the press conference performances of Ricky and Jarrod: you'd have more luck getting a laugh in the mountains surrounding Kabul; the Raider's try line "defence" which Ricky has admitted, much like Greek public financial planning, "needs work"; and finally, those heartbreaking losses by a point, two points, no points and then one point. Alas, without wanting to twist the knife anymore for this offseason, the Hooter has taken the time, as if by virtue of his own personal bleeding catharsis through The Greenhouse Forum, to rank the worst losses of this year.

Here goes...

Number 5... Round 22/Round 3... Tigers/Dragons (22-20/20-18)... basically the same game played twice. Early lead, dominate ball, dominate attack, critical mistakes at critical times, couldn't finish a weak cup of tea.

Number 4... Round 23... Eagles (26-24)... Brett Stewart, standing in Gungahlin, scoring somewhere in Bruce, annoying me all the way to Melba.

Number 3... Round 19... Sharks (21-20)... Shillo's farewell to the Hooter, thanks for three years of constant abuse Hoots, here's the game Sharkies... The Canberra Times' Raiders' beat writers will never be the same.

Number 2... Round 11... Bulldogs (41-34)... should have seen it coming, out by a cricket score, back in a landslide, home in a hearse.

Number 1... Round 15... North Queensland (21-20)... field goal, miss, field goal, miss, field goal... cue the stoney hearts of Border Protection APS2s breaking all over the capital.

This week the Green take on the Eels. The Eels look like us circa 2005 without juniors and ACT government support. This game was meant to be a coronation on our run to the playoffs. Instead, it feels a bit like watching the Beatles, with stand-ins for John, Paul, and George (did I just compare Shillo to Ringo Star?). I will miss you Shillo, even if the English language will not. We are missing all the stars. Thankfully, the Eels dont have any - unless Reece Robinson qualifies as a star, which according to Green Nation, he does not. Don't expect much from this game. (Instead skip to the next paragraph).

The recipe for the end of this misery, much like the start of last season, is simple. Next year the Raiders have to win at home and they have to defend. If Don Furner signs Ricky Stuart to a three extension this off season or in the first five weeks of next year I'll quit and pursue life drawing.

The reality is, if we don't succeed next year we will start to lose this core - a group with as much talent as any playing group in the competition. They will come for Wighton, they will come for Papalli, they will come for Vaughan, they will come for Lee. That's bad. The only chance we have of retaining those blokes is to start well and make the finals. Anything less is a failure. Don't let The Canberra Times tell you any different. The good news is that this core group of players is back next year. The bad news is this core group of players is back next year.

Green by a better offseason, a string of early big home wins, a new contract for Sticky, rep jumpers for Wighton, Lee, Boyd, Austin and Papalli, a top four finish and a fairy tale premiership.

Wouldn't that be nice.

See you next year. Hoots.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:06 am
Thanks Hooter for all your columns this year! Hopefully we have a better end to next season.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:39 am
Good post hoots
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 12:02 pm
Still beat Matt!
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 12:14 pm
"should have seen it coming, out by a cricket score, back in a landslide, home in a hearse."

"The good news is that this core group of players is back next year. The bad news is this core group of players is back next year."

:lol: Saved the best for last laughs, kudos Hoots.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 12:27 pm
Some clues to the Hoots identity in that one!

For me the most crushing loss wasn't even in your top 5! Cowboys Rd 21 for me. Just before halftime we're up 18-0 against the form team of the comp. Close out the game and we're in the top 8 at the business end of the season with a weak draw ahead. The rest of that game was soul destroying.

Gerry De La Cruz

Favourite Player:
Sam Williams
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 5:31 am
The big heartbreaker that set the scene for 2015 was that first one to the Dragons. The omens were there... Controversial opposition tries, Raiders denied crucial try by video ref, and collapse by men in green. Summed up the season, really.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 8:44 am
gangrenous wrote:Some clues to the Hoots identity in that one!

For me the most crushing loss wasn't even in your top 5! Cowboys Rd 21 for me. Just before halftime we're up 18-0 against the form team of the comp. Close out the game and we're in the top 8 at the business end of the season with a weak draw ahead. The rest of that game was soul destroying.

Thanks very much gangrenous. Here's me thinking that the Hooter has pretty much nailed the litany of disaster and then you remind me of that bloody game.

Man, what a season.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: September 6, 2015, 10:32 am
Another good read Hootz.
Even if it is a little depressing
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 5:36 pm
What happened to the Hooter?
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 5:40 pm
Never heard from him again after the end of last year.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 5:41 pm
Bloody miss the hootz, wonder if he is still active on the forum? Lurking/alias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 7:06 pm
Hooter wrote:See you next year. Hoots.

C'mon Hoots...what's the story??
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 9:25 pm
I heard he still writes, it's just called through green eyes or something
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 10:27 pm
I heard that he met a bearded woman called Adrian and ran off with her to join the circus
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 1, 2016, 10:33 pm
gangrenous wrote:I heard he still writes, it's just called through green eyes or something

I wish I could write like The Hooter, but that's not my style of writing.

David Grant

Favourite Player:
Sam Backo
PostPosted: August 2, 2016, 6:22 pm
I miss the Hooter, just like I miss Red Raiders match writeups. Sometimes life is just sad!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: August 2, 2016, 10:09 pm
I also miss Andy and his weekly cartoons :(
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: August 2, 2016, 10:12 pm
X2
I also miss Guy Incognito's caption contest.

Bloody reverse bandwagoners. The lot of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016

Return to Canberra Raiders