Raiders stats improve across the board

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 5:15 pm
Canberra Raiders improve across the board ahead of final game of season against Parramatta

While the Raiders will miss the finals for the third straight season, a number of key statistics reveal how the club is on the way up ahead of their last game this year.

The Raiders have improved in points scored, try assists, line breaks, running metres, total errors, completion rate, dummy-half runs and support runs.That is offset, however, by an increase in the amount of penalties conceded, a drastic drop-off in decoy runs and a reduction in tackle breaks.

"We always felt throughout the year we were improving nearly every game with combinations and just playing more as a team," Williams said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3kkfASvtO

The GH's exclusive Round 26 preview: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29868
Matt's Match-ups Round 26: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29860&p=1293119#p1293119
The Hooter Round 26: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29876
Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 5:29 pm
Made tackles shouldn't be listed as an improvement. Its probably the biggest problem we had. We make too many.

Interesting article though. Hopefully the NRL makes a few of these stats like meters after contact available to regular folk in the future.

Simon Woolford
Favourite Player:
jarrod croker
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 7:12 pm
The stat that matters most is we you finish on the ladder
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:00 pm
How about line dropouts forced and conceded....or brain explosions in the last 5 minutes of the game?
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 4, 2015, 8:18 pm
I dont think anyone doubts that in game, we are a better football side than we have been in a few years.

However games are won and lost in the vital minutes and we are still a LONG way off where we need to be in the minutes that count, and we're desperately off the pace defensively. Good news is i think we're definitely trending in the right direction.
If we can improve our defense, the experience of those close loses will really pay dividends in the future.

Our spine in 2016 is going to be, hands down the best spine that we've since seen our glory days. It's not even close for 2nd place.
This team is poised to compete IMO, i dont know if it will yeild a premiership but so long as we improve our defense, why not us?

Im really optimistic of this team, my only concern is can Stuart coach? I think in 6-18 months time , Wighton-Austin-Sezer-Hodgson can compete with ANY spine in the league. If Stuart can coach and he can lift our defense to that of a top 6 defensive team, we're on for 2016-17-18.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 6:02 am
Matts stats have improved as well.
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment
Boogs 2014 Runner Up 'Obsession of the year' (can't recall who won)
RIP green94 2010-2015
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 9:07 am
Metres conceded? Tries conceded? These 2 interest me
Edrick The Entertainer
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 9:17 am
Increased offloads conceded and offloads to nobody.
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 9:25 am
Pigman wrote:Our spine in 2016 is going to be, hands down the best spine that we've since seen our glory days. It's not even close for 2nd place.

I'd say
1. Dugan
6. Campese
7. Carney
9. Buttriss

Would come close at least, but acknowledge what you're saying and that campese didn't really click until carney left

Edit - or did we have Milne then?
Last edited by Sid on September 5, 2015, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 9:28 am
Sid wrote:
Pigman wrote:Our spine in 2016 is going to be, hands down the best spine that we've since seen our glory days. It's not even close for 2nd place.

I'd say
1. Dugan
6. Campese
7. Carney
9. Buttriss

Would come close at least, but acknowledge what you're saying and that campese didn't really click until carney left

Considering where Dugan was at in his career , same with Carney , it doesnt come close. And Butts :nooo
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Daley
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 10:05 am
From memory we still had David Milne while Carney was playing. God I hated Milne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canberra Raiders Silver Member
2010 Member # 6917 Go Hard or Go Home
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 10:28 am
Sid wrote:

I'd say
1. Dugan
6. Campese
7. Carney
9. Buttriss

Carney and Dugan were good but Campese at that time was, to be frank, pretty ordinary and the less said about Glenn **** Buttriss the better

That spine doesn't sniff the jock strap of our 2016 spine IMO
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 10:55 am
I am very excited about Raiders 2016 spine. Don't want to get my hopes up after how excited I was about going into a season with a spine of

1. Dugan
6. Campese
7. Orford
9. Waddell / buttriss

Had such high hopes for Orford and Waddell

Different circumstances next year, but our halves are coming off shoulder injuries
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Jordan Rapana & Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:25 am
Talking about penalties conceded, how many did Fensom give away this year compared to last? I swear, he seems to have bumped up the "dumb ruck infringement" factor this year.

The off-load to nobody stat might be interesting as well.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:53 am
Pigman wrote:
Sid wrote:

I'd say
1. Dugan
6. Campese
7. Carney
9. Buttriss

Carney and Dugan were good but Campese at that time was, to be frank, pretty ordinary and the less said about Glenn **** Buttriss the better

That spine doesn't sniff the jock strap of our 2016 spine IMO

Not saying they were bad, they went on to be much better players than they were with us. They were young with us , plenty of potential in them but they hadnt realised it at the time
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 12:27 pm
-PJ- wrote:Matts stats have improved as well.

I don't think improved is the right word, there appears to be more numbers for more stats, but who really knows what it all is?
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 12:38 pm
Todd Carney's last game for us was Rd 19, 2008 while Josh Dugan's first game for us was Rd 4, 2009. This may surprise some people, but they never played in the same team together.

Add to that the fact that Campo was pretty ordinary when partnered with Carney (he only really came to the fore when Carney was sacked), so I think we haven't seen anything close to what we will name in 2016 for 20 years.

FWIW, I reckon the best combo we've seen since 2000 (until now) was in late 2003:

1. Schifcofske
6. Croker
7. McLinden
9. Woolford

13. M. Monaghan

I'm still not sold on Baptiste in the 14, but our starting 1,6,7,9 next year is looking pretty tidy.

Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 12:43 pm
Bonehead we have had 93 tries scored against us with one game to play (Source Big League magazine). Last year we had 113 tries scored against us in the full season so that stat will 'improve'.
The worst defensive side in the Top 8 with one round to play was the Bulldogs with 81. The best defensive side in the Top 8 with one to play was the Roosters with 53 against.
So we are somewhere between 12 and 40 tries off the pace defensively.

The average tries conceded of this years Top 8 is currently 69 (With one round to play). So if that stays constant for the final round we are about 24 tries off the pace or a Try per game.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 12:44 pm
Yeah Baptiste is better than mccrone and Buttriss, but I thought he looked good early in the year but somewhat dropped off as the year went on.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 12:46 pm
I heard Pk on triple M last week say that the addition of Sezer will really help us, and that the raiders are still quite young and they struggle with the length of the season. He was positive we'll be a much better team next year.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 12:57 pm
RedRaider wrote:Bonehead we have had 93 tries scored against us with one game to play (Source Big League magazine). Last year we had 113 tries scored against us in the full season so that stat will 'improve'.
The worst defensive side in the Top 8 with one round to play was the Bulldogs with 81. The best defensive side in the Top 8 with one to play was the Roosters with 53 against.

The average tries conceded of this years Top 8 is currently 69 (With one round to play). So if that stays constant for the final round we are about 24 tries off the pace or a Try per game.

I will say that our defence, while still leaky, has been less susceptible to complete blowouts this year compared to last. That may have a lot to do with not having Milford, Robinson and Tupou running out as our back 3. Far out they were horrible in defence - all of them.

However, we obviously still have issues with our wingers making bad reads and leaving large overlaps and our structure is still vulnerable to a half decent short kicking game. In saying that, although we seem to concede an early try in most games due to a bad read by one of the wingers, once we get that out of the way we generally tighten things up for the rest of the game.

The numbers clearly show that if we can concede 1 less try per game (i.e. 24 less per season) we are right in the hunt. As we all know, we've had 7 losses this season by 4 or less (I add the Dogs game to that list), which shows that we are not far off if we continue the trajectory of improvement since last year.

1 less try per game and we are in top 4 contention. Simple as that...
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 1:01 pm
We will grow from this season mentally.. That's where those 24+ tries came from

The moments where we switch off, watch the ball bounce, don't close down offloads
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 7, 2015, 10:17 am
Seiffert82 wrote:Todd Carney's last game for us was Rd 19, 2008 while Josh Dugan's first game for us was Rd 4, 2009. This may surprise some people, but they never played in the same team together.

Add to that the fact that Campo was pretty ordinary when partnered with Carney (he only really came to the fore when Carney was sacked), so I think we haven't seen anything close to what we will name in 2016 for 20 years.

FWIW, I reckon the best combo we've seen since 2000 (until now) was in late 2003:

1. Schifcofske
6. Croker
7. McLinden
9. Woolford

13. M. Monaghan

I'm still not sold on Baptiste in the 14, but our starting 1,6,7,9 next year is looking pretty tidy.

Did we ever trot out:

1. Schifcofske
6. Jason Smith
7. Carney
9. Woolford

??
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

David Shillington

Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: September 7, 2015, 8:22 pm
yurithe1 wrote:Talking about penalties conceded, how many did Fensom give away this year compared to last? I swear, he seems to have bumped up the "dumb ruck infringement" factor this year.

The off-load to nobody stat might be interesting as well.

Not to mention his dropped balls under no real pressure in crucial periods of the game.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 7, 2015, 9:52 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Todd Carney's last game for us was Rd 19, 2008 while Josh Dugan's first game for us was Rd 4, 2009. This may surprise some people, but they never played in the same team together.

1. Schifcofske
6. Croker
7. McLinden
9. Woolford

13. M. Monaghan

Did we ever trot out:

1. Schifcofske
6. Jason Smith
7. Carney
9. Woolford

??

Yeah, that's true. 2006 with Linc Withers playing dummy half off the bench. Probably trumps 2003 with Smith in there.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 12:41 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
RedRaider wrote:Bonehead we have had 93 tries scored against us with one game to play (Source Big League magazine). Last year we had 113 tries scored against us in the full season so that stat will 'improve'.

I will say that our defence, while still leaky, has been less susceptible to complete blowouts this year compared to last. That may have a lot to do with not having Milford, Robinson and Tupou running out as our back 3. Far out they were horrible in defence - all of them.

However, we obviously still have issues with our wingers making bad reads and leaving large overlaps and our structure is still vulnerable to a half decent short kicking game. In saying that, although we seem to concede an early try in most games due to a bad read by one of the wingers, once we get that out of the way we generally tighten things up for the rest of the game.

The numbers clearly show that if we can concede 1 less try per game (i.e. 24 less per season) we are right in the hunt. As we all know, we've had 7 losses this season by 4 or less (I add the Dogs game to that list), which shows that we are not far off if we continue the trajectory of improvement since last year.

Yeh good post, we probably could have saved a few tries by dropping Eddy but i'm kind of glad we stuck with him.

I dont think Brenko Lee is the answer so we are a bit thin for good defensive outside backs.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Fensom, Wighton, Vaughan, Croker, Hodgson,
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 12:52 pm
Shadow Boxer wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

Yeh good post, we probably could have saved a few tries by dropping Eddy but i'm kind of glad we stuck with him.

I dont think Brenko Lee is the answer so we are a bit thin for good defensive outside backs.

I agree that our outside men are still an issue. All of, Eddy, Brenko, Toots, Waqa, BJ and Rapana have their moments in defence. They all have strengths and weaknesses there too.

I will say that by seasons end Eddy & Toots looked reasonable solid, and have a pretty good combo going in both attack & defence. That chip/ cut-out to the winger was still an issue, but that's defensive tactic more than the players.

I still worry about our right edge. BJ, Brenko, Waqa and Rapana are all susceptible to bad reads, arm grabs, and shoulder charges apparently.
Thanks to Aero for the Sig.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 1:35 pm
Will Smith from the Panthers absolutely smoked Brenko the other weekend
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 8, 2015, 2:30 pm
Can we get Matt to create a comp ladder based on purely team stats? That would be interesting and something he could whip up in 5-10 mins.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 10:12 am
Just don't let IR help you with the calculations there Matty, as he'll probably get about 50% of them wrong.

What a battler.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 1:30 pm
1stly, what am I/ would I, be basing this ladder on IR?

And the simple answer is no, I only keep detailed Raiders stats, not the other teams.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
PostPosted: September 9, 2015, 1:39 pm
None of our boys made the top 17, but we have 3 in the 2nd 17.

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/team-of-t ... esYIIGb.97
Hodgson - we here on the GH certainly agree.
Fensom - stats machine, surprise surprise... but also remember that puts him 2nd to Parker for his numbers at lock - that's all inclusive too, not just tackles.
Boyd - Yep, his yr was that good!

Return to Canberra Raiders