Stuart and Woolford on ABC Canberra Grandstand

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 10:37 am
Don't forget ABC 666 Canberra Grandstand with Tim Gavel Saturday after 11am Saturday. You can listen live: http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/

You can SMS the program with Raiders comments and questions on 0467 922 666.

Or you can call on 1300 681 666 (at the cost of a local call).

Or email Tim Gavel at gavel.tim@abc.net.au.

Or send Tim a tweet @TimGavel on twitter.

Simon Woolford will be on the program. And Tim is asking who should be the Raiders player of the year: Josh Hodgson or Blake Austin?
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:14 am
Ricky Stuart interview:

We are on the way to Sydney, I'm taking the boys up to see the Mounties first semi final at Belmore Oval. We got our training out of the way early, and we are on the road early.

It's difficult, when others are set to play finals football, but the team has been enthusiastic at training.

Luke Bateman. I've spoken to him about being a mobile front rower going forward.

Improvement in statistics this season. Completely different team, some areas where we need to improve further, we've improved a lot more than I even expected, we have to do it again next year.

Recruitment. We still need to find some players for the squad. How many comes down to the salary cap. There is some room to move in the cap, and we've a plan to rebuild the roster again next year.

When you don't get advantage in development or incentive for development, we can't put all our efforts there, we will continue to invest in development, but we need to balance that with recruitment. We need to bring in players from outside to cover gaps in the squad and balance out the squad.

We've not had a huge focus on the shot clock at training. We trained for 40 minutes today, an hour and a quarter earlier, I've given the team some time off, to freshen them up. We knew the Titans performance wasn't us, and last week, we made a pact that it would be the first game of 2016. We needed to turn it around.
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:23 am
Simon Woolford interview on his nine month ban and appeal for breaking a window at Seiffert Oval in the coach's box:

It was an intense match, some things were not going our way, I closed the window, I certainly didn't mean to break it, I had to get treatment on my hand.

I've been given a reprieve while we put together an appeal and I'm allowed to coach Queanbeyan Blues in the Grand Final. I was also going to be banned from involvement in my son's U15s team as well.

I apologised on the Monday, we sent a letter into the league, we explained what happened. I put up my hand. I acknowledged it, I didn't mean for it to happen and I cut my hand up.

It was such a shock on Wednesday night. It worked out to be a few games, it wasn't really nine months, I'm not sure what I could and couldn't do under the ban, not clear if I wasn't allowed to coach in the pre season.

It was a distraction for me, not the players. If anything, it's given them a bit of extra motivation, they trained Wednesday, and had a light session last night. We're ready to go tomorrow, it'll be a high quality game.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 11:54 am
Thanks GE
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Fenno
PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 2:03 pm
Mounties players must feel awful about the semis and making it difficult for Ricky at training. He won't have that problem next year - Mounties will be lucky to field a team the way he's going
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970

Return to Canberra Raiders