Sia Soliola wins Mal Meninga Medal 2015

 
All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20406
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 9:13 pm
Hbomb wrote:haha jacky looks like he's had a pint or two :lol: good on em, cant wait to see them next year

Yeah, he looked a little sketchy. It was also pretty funny listening to Ben trying to get Wighton to say something that indicates he plans to be here long term.
Quote
User avatar
Jason Croker
Posts: 4251
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Location: Darwin, N.T.
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 9:56 pm
Yeah, definitely
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Quote
User avatar
Don Furner
Posts: 109689
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 10:03 pm
Definitely.
Image
Quote
User avatar
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5141
Joined: March 10, 2013, 7:13 pm

Favourite Player:
Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 10:37 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
Hbomb wrote:haha jacky looks like he's had a pint or two :lol: good on em, cant wait to see them next year

Yeah, he looked a little sketchy. It was also pretty funny listening to Ben trying to get Wighton to say something that indicates he plans to be here long term.

yeh he has no interest in doing so IMO
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Quote
User avatar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18017
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 7:12 am
Pigman wrote:TBH i might have over cooked it. I remember reading a few years ago that a "working" week for an NRL player is 20 hours. That didnt include travel and game day

A few years I had the pleasure of meeting someone very high up in the Raiders organisation. I mentioned how when I worked at TCH I would often see a Brumby visiting the wards but rarely, if ever a Raider. I was told that it was difficult for the players to do so due to their busy schedules.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Quote
User avatar
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1377
Joined: July 31, 2014, 6:52 am

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:05 am
Raiders666 wrote:
The Greenhouse wrote:As previously reported on The GH, Jeff Lynch is leaving the Canberra Raiders.


Lynch is leaving too?? Wow Ricky really isn't a fan of front rowers is he! What's that make it? 9 players gone this yr 5 of them props...There goes all our depth


Ricky has always had a fetish for back rowers. He won't be satisfied until he's proven his theory that a entire team of back rowers is the way to go.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Quote
User avatar
Steve Walters
Posts: 7821
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:18 am
IronRaiden wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:
The Greenhouse wrote:As previously reported on The GH, Jeff Lynch is leaving the Canberra Raiders.


Lynch is leaving too?? Wow Ricky really isn't a fan of front rowers is he! What's that make it? 9 players gone this yr 5 of them props...There goes all our depth


Ricky has always had a fetish for back rowers. He won't be satisfied until he's proven his theory that a entire team of back rowers is the way to go.
the original supercoach player
Quote
User avatar
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25733
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am
Location: Somewhere around Canberra Stadium
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 12:41 pm
I thought matt Elliott left ages ago
Quote
User avatar
Steve Walters
Posts: 7821
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 12:43 pm
Lenny Leonard wrote:I thought matt Elliott left ages ago
he did
Quote
User avatar
Don Furner
Posts: 109689
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 1:54 pm
VIDEO: Canberra Raiders award winners Luke Bateman and Tevita Pangai Jnr speak after Meninga Medal

Luke Bateman, Rookie of the Year: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... ear_l.html
Tevita Pangai Jnr, NYC Players' Player: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... ayer_.html
Steve Babic, Clubman of the Year: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... year_.html
Image
Quote
User avatar
Steve Walters
Posts: 7425
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Location: The Lighhouse pre game bonanza
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 4:44 pm
Pigman wrote:
The Phantom wrote:
Matt wrote:
Pigman wrote:Very surprising result
I won't say it's undeserved because he had an absolute cracker year, but he'd have been 4th on my ballot form


I agree.


That's the difference between the fans and the players. They recognize the hard work he does on and off the field, and it speaks volumes for the mans leadership and integrity.


Very fair comment. We fans only see what happens in game, the players see what goes into the other 30 hours of their week


Isn't it based on a 3-2-1 system after each game though so it's just about the game?

Either way most sporting teams i've played in have had this system and it's always a massive guessing game as to who wins. Reason being, there are no specifics to the voting. So some blokes award 3 points on who played the best (in their opinion), others give 3 points on who played above their ability even if they were the 8th best player for the team on the day. This point is critical as it means the best 3 or so players in the team find it harder to poll points in a system like that because everyone is so used to their standard that they need to be magnificent to draw votes. The other thing too is popularity and this happens in every group. If you're the competitor behind the tryline or at halftime ripping in, your less likely to draw votes from the boys than a guy who says nothing and gets along with everyone.
Image

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Quote
User avatar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 18359
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 6:44 pm
i think it is just a 3-2-1 on game day, but then you consider human nature... when the Raiders get beaten and there is no real standout, the fans usually vote for the guy who gave it his all, who tried his best or who had the best work rate, as well as factors you've highlighted

extrapolating that concept out for the players, i think often in a game where they are stuck for points, a popular, well respected hard working leader like Sia, who is apparently a total professional in every aspect of his game, i think he probably picks up points in loses when no one has really stood out because they like him, they respect him and they know he hasnt shirked his duties in game or during the week.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Quote
User avatar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12084
Joined: April 12, 2011, 5:13 pm
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:27 pm
Would like to have seen wighton interviewed about an hour and a half after that one :lol:
Image
Quote
User avatar
Steve Walters
Posts: 7821
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 11:17 pm
CJ42 wrote:Would like to have seen wighton interviewed about an hour and a half after that one :lol:
definitely
Quote
User avatar
Don Furner
Posts: 109689
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 11:24 pm
Definitely. Same with Simo. Definitely.
Image
Quote
User avatar
Steve Walters
Posts: 7425
Joined: February 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Location: The Lighhouse pre game bonanza
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 12:06 am
Pigman wrote:i think it is just a 3-2-1 on game day, but then you consider human nature... when the Raiders get beaten and there is no real standout, the fans usually vote for the guy who gave it his all, who tried his best or who had the best work rate, as well as factors you've highlighted

extrapolating that concept out for the players, i think often in a game where they are stuck for points, a popular, well respected hard working leader like Sia, who is apparently a total professional in every aspect of his game, i think he probably picks up points in loses when no one has really stood out because they like him, they respect him and they know he hasnt shirked his duties in game or during the week.


Yep I agree with all that. Which reflects the result and i'm happy enough with that. The Meninga Medal shows who the players vote for out there and that's why it is different to the vote on here (which I haven't checked but will). I was just trying to give an opinion on why we all thought Hodgson or Wighton and it turned out differently.
Image

Member No: 3010. Bay 28. Row KK. Seat 6.

Michael wrote:
If life has taught me anything, its that any combination of mohawk, moustache, mullet, beard and the general attitude of a complete pig will get you a long way in that regard.

That's the sound of the men, working on the chain gannnng! Ohhhhh agghhhh
Quote
User avatar
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20406
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 8:58 am
greeneyed wrote:Definitely. Same with Simo. Definitely.

:lol:
Quote
User avatar
Don Furner
Posts: 109689
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 3:55 pm
Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart rewards Jack Wighton with prize

AFTER a bumper season for the Canberra Raiders, Jack Wighton received one of the club’s highest honours in taking home Ricky Stuart’s Coach’s Award for 2015, at the Meninga Medal Night during the week.

The award was Wighton’s first major one since winning the Raiders’ National Youth Competition (Holden Cup) Player of the Year in 2011, and came on the back of his first full year in the fullback role after shifting there late in 2014.

“It means a lot and I really appreciate it. It could’ve gone to anyone and I’m very thankful. All of the coaches have done a great job this year ... [Canberra] has turned into a real club.”

Read more: http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/s ... ith-prize/
Image
Quote
User avatar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11880
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Location: 2284
Favourite Player:
Matt Awford
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 3:58 pm
greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart rewards Jack Wighton with prize

AFTER a bumper season for the Canberra Raiders, Jack Wighton received one of the club’s highest honours in taking home Ricky Stuart’s Coach’s Award for 2015, at the Meninga Medal Night during the week.

The award was Wighton’s first major one since winning the Raiders’ National Youth Competition (Holden Cup) Player of the Year in 2011, and came on the back of his first full year in the fullback role after shifting there late in 2014.

“It means a lot and I really appreciate it. It could’ve gone to anyone and I’m very thankful. All of the coaches have done a great job this year ... [Canberra] has turned into a real club.”

Read more: http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/s ... ith-prize/

As Jack would say...definitely.
He's had a fantastic year and will blitz it for years to come. In green of course...
Image
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment
Boogs 2014 Runner Up 'Obsession of the year' (can't recall who won)
RIP green94 2010-2015
Quote
User avatar
Don Furner
Posts: 109689
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 5:14 pm
NYC Coaches Award - Thomas Cronan

Thomas Cronan: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... rd_th.html
Mal Meninga Medal highlights: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... medal.html
Image
Quote
User avatar
Don Furner
Posts: 109689
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 1:19 pm
VIDEO: Welfare and Education Award - Lachlan Lewis

Hear from talented Holden Cup five-eighth Lachlan Lewis after he won the Geoff Caldwell Memorial Award for Education and Welfare at the 2015 Meninga Medal.

Lewis received the award for the fantastic results that he achieved academically in his studies. In conjunction with his outstanding form on the field, Lewis also studies a Bachelor of Engineering at the Australian National University.

Video: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... catio.html
Image
Quote
User avatar
Don Furner
Posts: 109689
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm
PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 1:46 pm
VIDEO: Junior Rep Player of the Year - Tre Williams

Hear from Tre Williams after the exciting prospect won the Gordon McLucas Junior Representative Player of the Year Award at the 2015 Meninga Medal.

Video: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... er_of.html
Image
Quote
Previous

Return to Canberra Raiders


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -PJ-, Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jason, kiwi raider, SeeBee101 and 12 guests