Sezer crucial for Canberra Raiders grind

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Don Furner
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 9:19 pm
Canberra Raiders recruit Aidan Sezer to be crucial in developing grinding style of play

Former Kangaroos and Queensland forward Gorden Tallis says the addition of halfback Aidan Sezer will be crucial in the Canberra Raiders becoming better in tight games.

"Getting someone like Sezer next year, I think Ricky realises he's a guy who has a great kicking game and he will stick to the game plan," Tallis said.

"It's about finding that grinding style of football that they need to play. The Raiders are great at scoring points, and they're a young side and Ricky is building them well.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3lKkLRmOF
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 9:27 pm
Yep, it's about having a halfback that imposes himself on the full 80 minutes of the game.

I don't care about the Titan's recent record. It's quite clear that when the Titans win it is often off the back of a good game from Sezer. He regularly influences the result (and not in a Josh McCrone kind of way). For all Williams' strengths, he does go missing down the stretch. We need a halfback that can take the pressure off Hodgson and Austin.
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Fensom
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 9:36 pm
Hands down that's the smartest thing Tallis has ever said
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 10:26 pm
With Sezer's kicking game, Austins running game and Hodgson's threat at 9 i have a feeling that we are a real chance come September/October 2016.
Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 10:59 pm
I haven't felt this optimistic heading into a season since 2011.
Remember? We signed Matt Orford and everyone (including Gus Gould) tipped us for the top 4.
Anyway here's hoping it works out better this time.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 7:48 am
i like it!

Seriously though i already **** love Aiden Sezer, if he is as good for us as he was for the Titooons this year, we're cookin with gas here in the ACT
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:01 am
I think Top 4 is possible. Hopes are already up.

The only genuine contenders this year are Sydney and Brisbane anyway. Everyone else in the eight are just making up the numbers.
#FreeJack
#LetJackPlay
#JackOff
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:20 am
It will help our defence if we retain the ball from repeat sets. We have more possession therefore less defending.

Sezer is a good defender as well for a half.

There can only be positives
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:38 am
I'm keen to see how he goes.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:46 am
Our defense still leaks like a sieve tho.....
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:48 am
No question that improving our defence in general really must be THE priority in the off season.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 8:49 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:It will help our defence if we retain the ball from repeat sets. We have more possession therefore less defending.

Exactly. People have rightly said that our attack is **** great without Sezer and we're losing games on defense and questioning how Sezer helps us here, but IMO he helps our defense tremendously. He isnt going to fix our structure, he isnt going to magically make Stuart realise we're a much better defensive team when we let our players man up and make tackles, rather than to force them to make 50/50 calls before they've had time to really assess the play. We are pretty much the worst red zone defense i've ever laid my eyes on.

But a good half, with a quality kicking game can really limit the oppositions chances at us in the red zone. By getting more repeat sets, we change the balance of the field position and possession stats, and even when not getting a repeat set, our halves must have given away a league high 20 metre re-start, giving teams a saloon passage into our half of footy...

More repeat sets and less 20 metre restarts are two things we could expect with Sezer and those two factors are going to make our **** defense less exposed. If we can get a fair share of possession and field position in games, and with a Halfback who knows how to win a close game, i can see us being legitimately 4-5 wins better than we were this year.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:43 am
I haven't got the stats on me but I'd say the difference between he and Williams in terms of stuff like repeat sets is negligible IMO. Really wouldn't have that great of an effect overall.

As has probably been said, he's not going to make that great of an impact unless we fix our defense as a unit and get rid of stupid tactics like kicking early in the set.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:47 am
afgtnk wrote:I haven't got the stats on me but I'd say the difference between he and Williams in terms of stuff like repeat sets is negligible IMO. Really wouldn't have that great of an effect overall.

As has probably been said, he's not going to make that great of an impact unless we fix our defense as a unit and get rid of stupid tactics like kicking early in the set.
i dont have the stats on me but id say you are wrong
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Croker, Vaughan and Fensom
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:50 am
I'm pretty sure there's repeat set statistics out there somewhere and if Sezer isn't comfortably winning them, he's top 3.
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:55 am
i dont think it will make any difference to our defence

thats up to the coaches and the team as a whole.

but offensively, we lose our **** at crucial moments, hopefully he brings a bit of poise to us and fixes that.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:55 am
Just going off supercoach forced drop outs its sezer 21, williams 10
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:56 am
Na youre right papa, having the ball more often and in better position wont help our defence at all
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:58 am
simo wrote:Na youre right papa, having the ball more often and in better position wont help our defence at all

It will mean that we spend less time defending and will be less fatigued. But papa is right, having Sezer won't make our edge defence suddenly rock solid.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:00 am
No one is a saying it will fix our defensive issues. It means we have the ball more. The ball in better position.

Therefore we defend less
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:00 am
afgtnk wrote:I haven't got the stats on me but I'd say the difference between he and Williams in terms of stuff like repeat sets is negligible IMO. Really wouldn't have that great of an effect overall.

You should get the stats.
The difference is significant.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Kennedy
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:07 am
Aero wrote:Our defense still leaks like a sieve tho.....

Yep, unless Sezer is coming here to make a plethora of cover tackles each game we're still going to be defensively deficient.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Steve Walters

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:08 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
simo wrote:Na youre right papa, having the ball more often and in better position wont help our defence at all

It will mean that we spend less time defending and will be less fatigued. But papa is right, having Sezer won't make our edge defence suddenly rock solid.
papa said it wont make "any difference" papa is wrong. It will help as youve said.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:11 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:No one is a saying it will fix our defensive issues. It means we have the ball more. The ball in better position.

Therefore we defend less

More ball in better position is great, and may help our defence a little through lack of fatigue and lack of the opposition camped in our red zone. But the single biggest issue this team has is its defence. Apart from the above, Sezer has no impact on that. Put him into our team this year and we may have made the 8 but would have been cannon fodder. Until we sought out our defence we aren't hanging around in September.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:42 am
As Dubz said, the priority this off season is to fix up our defence. Even if Sezar could only contribute next season as much as Williams did this season in attack, our team would be scoring enough points.

The thing that we really need to work on, especially if we want to make it into the finals AND actually be contenders during the finals is to improve what we do on the park when we don't have the ball.
2012, 2014 & 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 11:07 am
Raidersrawesome wrote:No one is a saying it will fix our defensive issues. It means we have the ball more. The ball in better position.

Therefore we defend less

21 line drop outs v 10, whilst a significant stat, is only half a set a game.

A half backs role should never be to fix a **** defence. Obviously they should defend well enough to make an otherwise adequate defensive unit not ****. But what I am looking forward to him adding is, kicking that important field goal when we need it or directing us through a set all the way to the 5th and putting a handy kick to keep the pressure on the other side when we are only up by 2-12.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 11:10 am
You think 21 v 10 is a significant stat
I'd love to see the 20 metre restart stats... i would bet Williams would have Sezer covered in that department 3-1

Jason Croker

Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 11:15 am
Yep all those 7 tackle sets add up as far as defence goes.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 11:21 am
papabear wrote:

Therefore we defend less

21 line drop outs v 10, whilst a significant stat, is only half a set a game.

A half backs role should never be to fix a **** defence. Obviously they should defend well enough to make an otherwise adequate defensive unit not ****. But what I am looking forward to him adding is, kicking that important field goal when we need it or directing us through a set all the way to the 5th and putting a handy kick to keep the pressure on the other side when we are only up by 2-12.

I'd say forcing a repeat set as opposed to kicking it into the car park and giving the other team 7 tackles is a significant stat just quietly

Glenn Lazarus
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 1:01 pm
Edit
Last edited by novak djokovic on October 29, 2015, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 1:11 pm
imo play austin in game one for the whole series at number 6 or not at all.

and again imo, I think delays watching him, so if he works on his passing game over the off season and gets his decision making up to scratch he will be a shoe in for game 1.

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Stuart
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 3:21 pm
I think the biggest impact will be play making and using the entire width of the field. Despite the points we have scored this season I think our biggest issue is that we don't have any real play makers in the team meaning we play most of our football through the middle and not taking opportunities out wide. Hopefully he will be able to use the entire field and bring the centers and wingers into play. If he does we should get better field position which will give us more opportunities for repeat sets and allow the forwards greater meterage through the middle.
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 3:24 pm
simo wrote:i dont have the stats on me but id say you are wrong

Pigman wrote:You should get the stats.

I'm not really fussed about how far ahead or behind one is of the other. They both have good short kicking games as far as most would be concerned. Harping on about forcing repeat sets takes light away from the biggest problem, THE problem, and that's our terrible defensive system.

I'd rather Sticky and his team address this which is clearly a large structural fault, given its consistency throughout the entire season, rather than paper over the cracks and focus on our new halfback getting a few extra repeat sets over the year. Something that will really not make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Joey Leilua
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 3:29 pm
You know when you force a repeat set that's 6 more tackles the opposition makes right?

As opposed to kicking it into the carpark and giving them 7 tackles, and a chance to either score or force 6 more tackles

The games we won the weight of possession we won comfortably, and there would be a strong correlation to repeat sets forced
Last edited by -TW- on September 11, 2015, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Sia Soliola
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 3:30 pm
afgtnk wrote:
simo wrote:i dont have the stats on me but id say you are wrong

Pigman wrote:You should get the stats.

I'm not really fussed about how far ahead or behind one is of the other. They both have good short kicking games as far as most would be concerned. Harping on about forcing repeat sets takes light away from the biggest problem, THE problem, and that's our terrible defensive system.

I'd rather Sticky and his team address this which is clearly a large structural fault, given its consistency throughout the entire season, rather than paper over the cracks and focus on our new halfback getting a few extra repeat sets over the year. Something that will really not make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

More repeat sets = less tackles = more energy = better defence.
What Sezer's kicking game brings in a significant number of instances is the complete opposite of William's which is over the goal line = 7 tackle sets = less energy = worse defence.
Even if you don't want to look energy levels repeat sets control momentum which is all the rage these days.

Judging from our last 2 games as well we are on the improve with goal line defence. Ricky asked for some aiming up and they did. There was a lot less coming in from the wingers to tackle no one and there was more energy in the cover defence to plug gaps.
2015 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
Next

Return to Canberra Raiders