Brenko Lee asked for a release

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 11:30 am
kiwi raider wrote:Hawkins will still make a good first grader IMO, I'd like to see him with another 20 games under his belt

Agreed

Alan Tongue
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:08 pm
has there been evidence to suggest Brenko's attitude has been poor and didn't pull his finger out or just hyperbole?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:14 pm
ak47 wrote:has there been evidence to suggest Brenko's attitude has been poor and didn't pull his finger out or just hyperbole?

He was moved to 5/8 to force him to get more involved in U20's. Coaches words

Alan Tongue
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:25 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:
ak47 wrote:has there been evidence to suggest Brenko's attitude has been poor and didn't pull his finger out or just hyperbole?

so did he go absolutely missing or just not a natural #6 like Jack Wighton?
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:26 pm
ak47 wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

so did he go absolutely missing or just not a natural #6 like Jack Wighton?

he was essentially missing playing centre , hence the move.

He wasnt bad at 5/8 but honesty if he wants to plays its like men against boys when he does in U20s
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:42 pm
Hawkins was one of the strongest in the club during pre-season, would be capable at nrl level given a decent shot
Edrick The Entertainer
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 4:55 pm

He came back from pre-season overweight and took a long time to take it off.
He was picked in the Australian side on the wing at the start of the year off the back of last year's performances but couldn't crack the QLD side picked half-way through the year.
He's not picked for first grade even when there is a spot available.

What do you consider hyperbole in this case? Without watching the games and commenting on what you see we don't really have anything else to go on. The under 20s media coverage and stats really aren't up to par with what's on offer from 1st grade.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 6:15 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:

Well that, and they had their 1st 4 choices injured - Croker, Heffernan, Lewis and 1 other were all out. From memory they were playing 3 or 4 hookers at the time too. 2 actually playing hooker, 1 at halfback and abother at fullback
Last edited by Matt on July 30, 2015, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 6:17 pm
I've only met Brenko once, post match in Tamworth. He struck me as a very shy unsure young man, he spoke about following the development path sticky had set out for him and not needing to rush. Wonder if this is agent or parent driven?
Edrick The Entertainer
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 6:29 pm
bonehead wrote:I've only met Brenko once, post match in Tamworth. He struck me as a very shy unsure young man, he spoke about following the development path sticky had set out for him and not needing to rush. Wonder if this is agent or parent driven?

Its probably Bulldog driven.
Bradley Clyde
PostPosted: July 30, 2015, 6:36 pm
edwahu wrote:
bonehead wrote:I've only met Brenko once, post match in Tamworth. He struck me as a very shy unsure young man, he spoke about following the development path sticky had set out for him and not needing to rush. Wonder if this is agent or parent driven?

I'm inclined to think along those lines too... Hard to imagine he'd have re-signed under sticky if he didn't want to be here
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 8:09 am
VictorTheViking wrote:
edwahu wrote:

I'm inclined to think along those lines too... Hard to imagine he'd have re-signed under sticky if he didn't want to be here

I don't think so. It's my understanding that he has been shopped around to more clubs than just the Bulldogs.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 8:19 am
By shopped around, i assume you mean by his agent? Because if he's being shopped around by the club, it's hard to understand why they'd deny his release to the Bulldogs
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 8:22 am
Pigman wrote:By shopped around, i assume you mean by his agent? Because if he's being shopped around by the club, it's hard to understand why they'd deny his release to the Bulldogs

Yeah, sorry - by, I assume, his agent.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 8:31 am
Yeah makes sense, he wants his client playing FG and making him money.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Rapana
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:17 am
He's already on a top 25 salary though even if he's not playing first grade this year.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:37 am
His contract is his contract, the agent gets paid on that. But the agent probably wants him playing FG so he can show what he's got and command more dollars at the end of this contract

If he hasnt played much FG, he'll sign a deal around the same amount he's got now, if gets his client somewhere he can play FG, maybe he gets a much bigger contract
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:55 am
Hawkins reminds me of Jake Foster. Dominant at reserve grade level, but for whatever reason can't bring that dominance to the next level.
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:57 am
dubby wrote:Hawkins reminds me of Jake Foster. Dominant at reserve grade level, but for whatever reason can't bring that dominance to the next level.

Or mccrone, glad I'm not the only one who thought that
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 9:59 am
Foster made a living in RG off his halves, he didnt have to do a lot of work for most of his tries.
Hawkins is beasting **** one on one, he's not getting put into holes and running, he's creating on his own, i dont think that comp is very accurate

Not to say i think Hawkins is a stud or anything, he's a good footballer who can have a pretty solid FG career
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 10:05 am
Yeah I tend to agree, but there must be a dozen players around exactly like him.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 10:22 am
Young talented and with a great work ethic?
Edrick The Entertainer
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player:
Jackie Boi
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 10:24 am
Hawkins isn't a first grade standard centre and never will be.

He could be a first grade winger though & showed what he could do when given a chance at the back end of last year. He'll score the tries he's supposed to (including when there's a bit of extra work to be done) and was impressive defending on the wing with numbers coming at him (that should be a valued quality in our team).

I would have started him in first grade this year on the wing ahead of Rapana. He's steadier & not as mistake prone.

Anyway, Ricky thought differently and that's that.

Presumably Waqa is next cab off the rank should a vacancy emerge in our backline this year at either centre or wing. That he's not currently being selected seems a little bizarre given he appears to have played with a knee injury all year and we're now into the must win games.

Next year, Brenko should be given any opportunities that come up in the centres.

Happy for Hawkins to be given a go on the wing. Brenko isn't a winger and would make too many mistakes if played there regularly.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 10:52 am
bonehead wrote:Young talented and with a great work ethic?

Exactly.
Ahearn.
Cronin.

Alan Tongue
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 11:09 am
zim wrote:

He was picked in the Australian side on the wing at the start of the year off the back of last year's performances but couldn't crack the QLD side picked half-way through the year.

What do you consider hyperbole in this case? Without watching the games and commenting on what you see we don't really have anything else to go on. The under 20s media coverage and stats really aren't up to par with what's on offer from 1st grade.

maybe its just me, but IMO an attitude problem is someone that doesn't want to play, or train, and shows disrespect. has there been evidence of this?? all you have pointed out is a drop of form, that every player endures in their careers. coming back overweight happens to almost all of them, especially growing young men. Shillington lost his rep jerseys, and warms up the bench these days. Attitude problem???
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 11:22 am
ak47 wrote:
zim wrote:

maybe its just me, but IMO an attitude problem is someone that doesn't want to play, or train, and shows disrespect. has there been evidence of this?? all you have pointed out is a drop of form, that every player endures in their careers. coming back overweight happens to almost all of them, especially growing young men. Shillington lost his rep jerseys, and warms up the bench these days. Attitude problem???

Not sure which games you are watching but Shillington has been starting for a while, and no when a player of Shillington's vintage drops off it is either his mind is not in the right place or he's starting to feel the effects of old age. He's proven by years of playing with urgency and effort that he knows and is willing to do what is required.
It's not the same as a young player that should be trying his heart out to crack the NRL side but then watches (literally) opposition players dive on the ball that were further away from it than him or goes missing when he should be stepping up to help win games. Without a video to back it up that's a perfect example of hyperbole but as I have already mentioned what other evidence can we offer for the under 20s?

Your idea of an attitude problem is far too gone. By that stage they might as well not be at the club, rather than just needing to heed some advice and pick their effort up by 10-15%.
Do you have any evidence that it's just his form that has dropped off?

John Ferguson

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 5:05 pm
Brenko may have more talent than Hawkins but may not have the equilavent drive and will to win.

Id back Hawkins to have a longer first grade career than Brenko, id say I might get decent odds too.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 5:52 pm
Raiders boss Don Furner slams Brett Kimmorley over Brenko Lee claims

Canberra boss Don Furner has launched a stinging attack on Brett Kimmorley, while warning the NRL “the next Laurie Daley” will be lost to rugby league unless more is done to reward junior development.

“Rick and the coaching staff rate Brenko highly and that is why we are not letting him go.

“And I think it is inappropriate that (Kimmorley) would be talking to our players and then going out there and telling everybody about it.”

Read more: http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nr ... %7C+NRL%29
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 5:54 pm
Ooooof
DFJ didn't hold back

Fwiw I believe Kimmorley is correct
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 6:50 pm
The day Brenko stepped aside to allow a try whilst concerned with a hamstring injury just won't leave my mind
2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Baptiste 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 6:53 pm
Dusty wrote:The day Brenko stepped aside to allow a try whilst concerned with a hamstring injury just won't leave my mind

I have no **** idea where this came from, but it's totally and utterly inaccurate.
He had hurt his hamstring, been substituted off and was hobbling around the corner post when the try was scored.

He wasnt in the field of play and had he entered the field of play to make a tackle, we'd have been heavily fined and probably lost points
David Furner

Favourite Player:
Past:Daley
Present: Austin, Wighton & Croker
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 7:25 pm
Pigman wrote:
Dusty wrote:The day Brenko stepped aside to allow a try whilst concerned with a hamstring injury just won't leave my mind

I have no **** idea where this came from, but it's totally and utterly inaccurate.
He had hurt his hamstring, been substituted off and was hobbling around the corner post when the try was scored.

He wasnt in the field of play and had he entered the field of play to make a tackle, we'd have been heavily fined and probably lost points

My memory of it was that he hadn't been replaced
2018: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4. Leiluia 5. Rapana 6. Austin 7. Sezer 8. Paulo 9. Hodgson 10. Boyd 11. Papalii 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Baptiste 15. Soliola 16. Knight 17. Gubb

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 7:39 pm
Dusty wrote:
Pigman wrote:

My memory of it was that he hadn't been replaced

From memory the sub came on the close side and the trainer told him to get off on the far side. He was definitely off the field when the try was scored.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 7:43 pm
Yeah, basically he was shot, couldnt defend. He came off the far side, new player on the close side and he didnt get across in time to make a play

it was a coaching error from Furner, he probably should have told Brenko to do his best to try and get through the set and make the sub when we got the ball back. They were coming at Brenko's side anyways and likely would have scored regardless but who knows...
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: July 31, 2015, 7:47 pm
9:03 of this video, he is definitely off and instinctually wants to come back on but has to stop himself.

PreviousNext

Return to Canberra Raiders