The NRL is a mess

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 6:29 am
NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave competition

SOME of the most powerful figures in rugby league have floated the idea of a breakaway 12-team competition in a bid to oust NRL CEO Dave Smith.

Last week’s TV negotiations, which saw Fox Sports and Telstra cut out of the deal, is the latest in a growing list of frustrations they have with Mr Smith and Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman John Grant.
The new competition would be made up by the 12 clubs, whose NRL participation agreements end at the conclusion of the 2017 season.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl-rebell ... 7494555625
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 6:31 am
NRL CEO Dave Smith to be grilled by all 16 clubs in Q&A session

NRL boss Dave Smith’s torrid week is about to become even more stressful with the likelihood of being grilled by a series of questions and demands from all 16 clubs on Monday.

A chairmen’s phone hook-up scheduled for Monday afternoon has been described by one club chairman as an early ‘showdown’ in the pursuit by the club’s to ensure they strike a historic windfall from Smith’s controversial $925m broadcasting deal with the Nine Network.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-ce ... 7494503236
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 6:32 am
NRL CEO Dave Smith under fire for lack of clarity and vision over rule changes

COACHES, past and present players, club chief executives and fans have never been more confused and frustrated with the running of the “reactive” NRL.
And here’s the reason why.

Since his appointment by the ARL Commission in February 2013, NRL chief executive Dave Smith has rubberstamped a staggering 35 changes and amendments to rules and football-related policies in the space of just 30 months.

That’s more than one new rule or policy a month. It’s any wonder loyal fans are confused and have chosen to vote with their feet.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-ce ... 7494580513
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 9:24 am
Definitely an anti Dave Smith agenda being run by News Ltd right now.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 9:42 am
News and Fox are going to turn the fans right off them if they keep going on the TV deal.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 9:42 am
It's coming across as rather petulant really.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
John Ferguson
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 10:12 am
I agree, whilst I don't think the NRL commission has been very good and they have certainly implemented policies that have helped other teams at the expense of the raiders.

News limited is clearly running an agenda here to secure as many games on Foxtel at the cheapest possible price.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 10:13 am
David Smith has some accountability, but in my opinion its John Grant that has to go. Under his tutelage the game has become murky in terms of unnecessary and overreactive rule changes, and the officialdom has not improved on field.
I'd like to see Grant go, and Todd Greenberg
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 10:41 am
I think David Smith is pretty hopeless, and John Grant's responsible for picking him. But every time someone at News or Fox open their mouth at the moment, it is with the aim of organising a cheap TV deal for Fox. The fans will turn on them soon, if they don't desist.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 11:07 am
There is no doubt a campaign is on atm by News against Smith and co , which is taking credit away from their arguments

Smith still needs to go , Greenberg as well.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 4:07 pm
greeneyed wrote:I think David Smith is pretty hopeless, and John Grant's responsible for picking him. But every time someone at News or Fox open their mouth at the moment, it is with the aim of organising a cheap TV deal for Fox. The fans will turn on them soon, if they don't desist.

I'd like to see the NRL's balance sheet before I pass final judgement on David Smith. He'd probably be a great CFO, but as far as being the CEO of a sport he knows nothing about, it did seem like an odd decision from the start. Greenberg seems like a complete waste of space. I have no idea what he does.

Despite significant growth to the NRL's front office, it really is unclear what the strategy is to:
1) grow the sport (at all levels) both nationally and internationally, and
2) improve the coverage/access to the sport for the fans.

Both of these factors are equally important for the long term health of the code. The only thing of significance I've seen happen over past 2 years is an increase to the NRL's salary cap. It has been quite underwhelming.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 7:09 pm
NRL clubs flex muscles over funding but reject talk of a breakaway competition

Club bosses are set to seek assurances from the NRL about the treatment of long-standing partners Telstra and Fox Sports during recent negotiations that resulted in the record $925 million free-to-air broadcast deal with Channel Nine.

However, South Sydney chairman Nick Pappas and Penrith general manager Phil Gould took to Twitter to debunk reports that disillusioned clubs were considering breaking away from the NRL.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z3jcy8AsKP
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 7:57 pm
Hopefully all this news propaganda leads to some payback for the broncos when its all done and dusted. It really puts some of the Milford reporting in perspective.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 23, 2015, 8:50 pm
edwahu wrote:Hopefully all this news propaganda leads to some payback for the broncos when its all done and dusted. It really puts some of the Milford reporting in perspective.

You've lost me. What do you mean?
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 7:16 am
Dr Zaius wrote:
edwahu wrote:Hopefully all this news propaganda leads to some payback for the broncos when its all done and dusted. It really puts some of the Milford reporting in perspective.

Broncos are 70% owned by News and are who the NRL bends over backwards to help. So I hope they come out of this mess losers.

On the reporting, I mean the blatant levels of propaganda been run by News the last week is a good illustration of how much Bull News reporters will run with if to suit News agenda. They ran a lot of it during the Milford saga as well, which Broncos fans lapped up like kittens.
Last edited by edwahu on August 24, 2015, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 7:17 am
edwahu wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Broncos are 70% owned by News and are who the NRL bends over backwards to help. So I hope they come out of this mess losers.

On the reporting, I mean the blatant levels of propaganda been run by News the last week is a good illustration of how much Bull News will reporters will run with if to suit News agenda. They ran a lot of it during the Milford saga as well, which Broncos fans lapped up like kittens.

I see. I can't disagree with that.
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 9:33 am
Honestly, regardless of what you think about Dave Smith prior to this Anti NRL campaign from news limited/ fox. He is now a legend.

What did news limited want from him, to sell the vestiges of our soul at the cheapest possible price again.

Honestly, they paid up for the AFL they can pay up for the NRL or the nrl will take the hair cut and partner with someone else for the next tv deal.

Everytime a rupert murdoch run corporation bags out the NRL / Dave Smith, it just makes me think good on him for standing his ground and not getting into bed with these integrityless bastards.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: August 24, 2015, 2:20 pm
Integrityless! Nice!
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 25, 2015, 8:17 am
NRL clubs discuss new funding model to cash in on broadcast deal

There is no mutiny, there was no talk of Super League or a breakaway

NRL clubs are set to ask for their annual grants to be set up to 25 per cent higher than total player payments as a condition of signing participation agreements to play in the competition beyond 2017.

With only the free-to-air component of the next broadcast deal finalised so far, the NRL, clubs and players do not know how much money will be available but percentage increases are being considered ahead of a meeting with the ARL Commission after the grand final. The chairmen of all 16 clubs discussed funding and the recent $925 million deal with Channel Nine during a phone hook-up on Monday that coincided with Telstra announcing that the company was in dialogue with the NRL about extending its 17-year arrangement as the game's major sponsor.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3jm0zK8kc
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 6:46 am
More NRL clubs to play at Moore Park and Parramatta under new stadia plan

The NRL would direct clubs to play matches at new stadiums at Moore Park and Parramatta and may commit to State of Origin fixtures and the grand final remaining in Sydney if the NSW Government approves funding for the projects.

With a decision on the government's stadium strategy understood to be imminent, Fairfax Media has learned that the NRL would be required to guarantee a significant increase in the number of games at each venue in a move that would mean more clubs using Moore Park and Parramatta for home matches.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3jrUfdAiE
Don Furner
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 8:41 am
Not sure why this would be in the NRL is a mess thread.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 8:50 am
you've angered the Führer, RRA
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 8:54 am
I dont like the idea of all teams playing out of one venue .

Lets go back to calling them Sydney Bulldogs , Sydney Tigers
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 4:14 pm
Raidersrawesome wrote:I dont like the idea of all teams playing out of one venue .

Super League Bulldogs, thank you!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: August 26, 2015, 4:17 pm
reptar wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:I dont like the idea of all teams playing out of one venue .

Super League Bulldogs, thank you!

Sydney is correct

from wiki

When the Canterbury administration saw the Super League war on the horizon they re-branded the club the "Sydney Bulldogs
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: September 10, 2015, 10:44 pm
ARL chairman John Grant's fallout with Dave Smith has NRL clubs jittery

Oh no! On the eve of the NRL finals series come disturbing reports that ARL Commission chairman John Grant is losing faith in chief executive Dave Smith.

Sydney clubs are sweating bullets about a possible change at League Central as they try to squeeze significant increases in funding out of Smith.

Read more: http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/arl-ch ... al_twitter
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 7:58 am
And who hired David Smith?

It's John Grant who must go.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 12:18 pm
That article was a rambling mess with no real point being made. :doubt:
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: September 12, 2015, 9:59 am
There are so many agendas going on here it's hard to pick your way through all the Bull.
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player:
Captain Croker
PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 5:34 am
Top 10 flops of 2015 NRL season

2. DAVE SMITH

On the nose with clubs because of his aloofness and his lack of any real feel for the game, the NRL CEO has not endeared himself to too many this season outside of his highly-paid lieutenants.

His predecessor David Gallop was shown the door because he was considered “too reactionary”.

Gallop had nothing on this bloke. Some of the rule and policy changes on the run have been nothing short of a fiasco with the controversial shoulder charge issue a case in point. The product has suffered, as have the crowds.

Then, when it appeared Smith had finally kicked a goal by securing a sizeable television rights deal with Channel 9, he was blown out of the water by the AFL.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 7561022522
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 7:23 am
I still have no problem with the shoulder charge rule. I have a problem with the way it and the concussion rule is sometimes (randomly) enforced, but I don't think the game has suffered too much on the back of dangerous shoulder charges being banned.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 6:06 pm
News limited still chasing smiths scalp i see
Edrick The Entertainer
John Ferguson
PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 6:09 pm
It is just an absolute coincidence that a host of news limited journalists just happened to have exactly the same opinion of David smith at exactly the same time.

They also have their own self formed opinions on climate change.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 6:57 pm
Of course, silly me.
Paul kent was in overdrive on the big sports breakfast this morning
Edrick The Entertainer
Don Furner
PostPosted: October 10, 2015, 8:53 pm
David Smith talks with Rothfield: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-ce ... 7562337800

The bloke really has no idea.
PreviousNext

Return to Rugby League