Bench

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:05 pm
who drops of the bench once tapine is back?

priest is doing a good job. soliola and taylor were good.

do we drop the utility clydsdale? what happens when baptiste is back?

good position to be in!
Clinton Schifcofske

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:11 pm
Priest out. Our big boys actually play fairly big minutes, and one always has a very short stint. If we put another forward in there it means we have 2 very short stint players, or we take minutes off one of our big boys, both options that dont seem great. In the last 2 games Hodgo has had an ankle tweak, so I think for now Clydesdale keeps the 14. He took the line on a lot more tonight and engaged the markers which was good to see!

Priest has been very solid, and is a perfect first drop - reliable and low in errors/high in effort. And besides, he will get a run around origin time anyway at least.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:15 pm
Preist was good today, Bateman had a bit of a shocker.
I think it's a week to week thing between the two.

Bateman probably has the inside running because being able to start at Lock allows Stuart to give Sia control of the 2nd forward unit, which i think is what he wants.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Favourite Player:
Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:18 pm
I thought Priest was very strong today. Played big minutes and kept running at the line time and time again.

Anyone know what happened to Boyd? Concussion??

Sent from my Pixel using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:21 pm
SeeBee101 wrote:I thought Priest was very strong today. Played big minutes and kept running at the line time and time again.

I think Stuart just saw an opportunity to rest him so we have a big bopper fresh for the Broncos.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:21 pm
SeeBee101 wrote:I thought Priest was very strong today. Played big minutes and kept running at the line time and time again.

He was running up and down the line with his big jacket on during the second half. Might have been keeping him fresher with the short turnaround.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Bay56
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:49 pm
Fair question regarding Priest vs Bateman when Tapine returns (he says, knowing we are likely to have another injury before then).

At the start of the year I'd pick Bateman for sure, but now I can really see the value of Priest. He really does bring some outstanding intensity to the middle unit.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 8:49 pm
I don't really rate Bateman as a lock. I know the idea is a lock is like a prop but you need a bit more skill than just running it hard. That showed with Sia coming on and really turning the game. Regardless Priest will probably drop but then he was very good today.

I'm still hoping Tapine can end up a starting player by year end. I think he has too much abillity to not be playing 60 minutes a week.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Jersh McCrerne
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 9:10 pm
If Taylor can keep up the form that was on show today, then one of Bateman or Priest.

I like them both, but they're not much above honest toilers at their best really.
John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 9:13 pm

John Ferguson
Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 9:13 pm
Pretty good when tonight's bench all run for over 100m!

Don Furner
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 9:15 pm
Taylor was good today, but he's going to have to do better if he's going to keep his place once Tapine comes back. Two errors, one not his fault... but he did very well for his first game back.

Clinton Schifcofske

Favourite Player:
Edrick Lee
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 9:28 pm
At full strength we will have one of the best benches in recent memory. Baptiste, Soliola, Tapine and Taylor are all current or former international players and they will give us the edge over a lot of teams.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
greeneyed wrote:Taylor was good today, but he's going to have to do better if he's going to keep his place once Tapine comes back. Two errors, one not his fault... but he did very well for his first game back.

He's going to have to do better than come on and run at 10 metres per hit up?

I think you can wipe the errors, one was a poor pass, one was when the game was over and we were clocking off.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 10:25 pm
Not to mention the line he ran set up Papa for that try so much so that I'm tempted to email the NRL and demand they give him a try assist

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 10:25 pm
edwahu wrote:I don't really rate Bateman as a lock. I know the idea is a lock is like a prop but you need a bit more skill than just running it hard.

With you 100% I posted about it in the other thread before I read this.

Bateman's sprinting crash ball style runs will forever be ineffective in opening stanzas IMO as the game is too closed. Works well off the bench but I don't think our lock can operate that when the props are Boyd and Paulo.
David Grant

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 12:10 am
I suspect by mid year we might see Tapine starting at lock. Priest, Taylor and Soliola coming off the Bench. Regardless of the outcome it's a nice problem for Ricky to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:41 am
Priest was better then Bateman v the tigers.

Priest is really growing on me, and imo with a side of giants he is what we need.

A relatively quick prop, who doesnt drop the ball and hits quite hard with his shoulder.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:45 am
julian87 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Taylor was good today, but he's going to have to do better if he's going to keep his place once Tapine comes back. Two errors, one not his fault... but he did very well for his first game back.

I think you can wipe the errors, one was a poor pass, one was when the game was over and we were clocking off.

Also, the flat barge over play is a high variance play, is say 50% of the time it results in an error regardless of who runs it
I don't even really count that as an "error" of his
It's just the nature of that play
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:09 am
Pigman wrote:
julian87 wrote:

Also, the flat barge over play is a high variance play, is say 50% of the time it results in an error regardless of who runs it

From my angle on the 10 metre line it looked like the defender was already touching him before he touched the ball making it an even harder take.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:33 am
-GD- wrote:
Pigman wrote:
julian87 wrote:

From my angle on the 10 metre line it looked like the defender was already touching him before he touched the ball making it an even harder take.

Yeah was a high risk hospital pass but if he holds on he goes over the line at the very least.

It's a really hard position to be in, I love soliola and priests work off the bench. Tapine I'm a huge fan of also. But Dave Taylor has shown enough for me yesterday, although he did gas up but I'm sure he played way more minutes than he thought he would.
Baptiste walks straight onto the bench, we won't go four forwards.
Jason Croker
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:40 am
That was a near impossible ball to catch but it was the right run. He ran great lines all afternoon and due to his size he draws defenders in and creates room for players outside. You need players running that courage line for any of your sweep plays to be effective.

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Glen Butriss
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:46 am
Priest has been very good in the 2 games he's played. I don't think you can drop him based on that. For me it's Bateman that drops out when Tapine is back.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Fensom, Wighton, Vaughan, Croker, Hodgson,
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:59 am
Pigman wrote:Preist was good today, Bateman had a bit of a shocker.

Bateman probably has the inside running because being able to start at Lock allows Stuart to give Sia control of the 2nd forward unit, which i think is what he wants.

This^^^
I think Stuart 100% wants Bateman starting. He wants Sia's leadership in the middle 'lull'. Priest is the man who misses out. I like what he brings, BUT, you pick the better player every time, Tapine is an international, Taylor a former SOO rep and international, and Sia is Sia.

I agree with others as to Rickys player rotation this week too. Priest and Taylor got big mins to save a couple of the others for the Bronx game. Also, in the presser, did anyone get the impression that we are getting 1 or 2 players back this week? Or did he mean Croker and Taylor?
Thanks to Aero for the Sig.
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:01 am
Hazza wrote:Priest has been very good in the 2 games he's played. I don't think you can drop him based on that. For me it's Bateman that drops out when Tapine is back.

He was good yesterday. How was he in game 1? He got binned but I don't remember his stats. And then suspended for a week. We won't be able to assess this decision I don't think until a few weeks from now and Tapine is about to return

Sam Backo

Favourite Player:
Glen Butriss
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:08 am
CJR wrote:
Hazza wrote:Priest has been very good in the 2 games he's played. I don't think you can drop him based on that. For me it's Bateman that drops out when Tapine is back.

He was good yesterday. How was he in game 1? He got binned but I don't remember his stats. And then suspended for a week. We won't be able to assess this decision I don't think until a few weeks from now and Tapine is about to return

He was good v the cows too. Look at the end of the day I don't think there's much difference between he and Bateman is there. As long as we don't see Dunamis for a while I'm happy.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Fensom, Wighton, Vaughan, Croker, Hodgson,
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:12 am
Bateman was the better player last yr though. I think he is a better player anyway. He is still young too.
Thanks to Aero for the Sig.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:18 am
I believe Priest will be the one left out, however I don't think it matters too much as most of the time at least one of the starting 17 forwards will be injured/suspended.

Perhaps give a different forward a role of doing something that'll get them suspended for 1 match to create a rotation policy...
They get to touch the referee or something lol.
Would have won Boogs - 2016
Glenn Lazarus
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:22 am
Matt wrote:Bateman was the better player last yr though. I think he is a better player anyway. He is still young too.

The age reason is why I'd like to see Priest get the spot over Bateman, mostly cause I'm struggling to split them based on what Bateman did last year and how Priest has started this one
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:46 am
Matt wrote:
Pigman wrote:Preist was good today, Bateman had a bit of a shocker.

This^^^
I think Stuart 100% wants Bateman starting. He wants Sia's leadership in the middle 'lull'. Priest is the man who misses out. I like what he brings, BUT, you pick the better player every time, Tapine is an international, Taylor a former SOO rep and international, and Sia is Sia.

I agree with others as to Rickys player rotation this week too. Priest and Taylor got big mins to save a couple of the others for the Bronx game. Also, in the presser, did anyone get the impression that we are getting 1 or 2 players back this week? Or did he mean Croker and Taylor?

I don't really agree. I simply think Stuart is using Soliola off the bench while Tapine is out.
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:50 am
Also we have everyone back except for Baptise who won't be back for months and Tapine who has at least two or three weeks to go.

Ricky Stuart

Favourite Player:
Leipana
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:02 pm
I know Tapine goes great off the bench, but at some point you just have to start your best players. I think Tapine will be ready to don the 13 this year

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:45 pm
Cant say I an expert but I would think you want a balanced pack.
Size and strength is great but you need a bit of pace and staying power as well.
Too many big boppers leaves us vulnerable.

Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 10:11 pm
Tapine needs to toughen up his defense to be a starter in my opinion, he's young so it will come. When it does......look out rest of the comp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Canberra Raiders