Importance of Whitehead to Leipana

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
J Toots
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:01 pm
Pretty sure I'm not the only one who noticed this, however...

For me, the return of Smelly to the now infamous Leipana bromance after filling in for Toots on the left, has reignited their former brilliance. It has become clear in hindsight (it's wonderful thing) just how much Mr Whitehead ads to our right side in attack. I wouldn't go so far as to say 'most' Leipana brilliance involves a Smelly element, but it would be a pretty close thing. Watching the game on the weekend proved as much as Smelly was involved either at the start of the movement, was a critical link or indeed 'flicked' the last pass...

With this new perspective I have had a bit of think back to last year and I recall Smelly was involved in a lot of the Leipana brilliance without the due accolades...

Stealing a little from the Crocopaps line in the Cotric thread...

Whileipana anyone? :hmmm
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:06 pm
He's important to the entire structure of the team, but yeah certainly he brings some genuine footy smarts and a cool head to a couple of players who need a sober ying to their raging yang
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Brad Clyde
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:15 pm
Leipanahead
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Don Furner
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:18 pm
The whole right side looked so much better with Whitehead there.
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:20 pm
I can confidently say Whitehead is a better right edge back rower than he is a left centre.
Head to Head
Luke Turner - 1
Blake Ferguson - 0
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:29 pm
Pigman wrote:He's important to the entire structure of the team, but yeah certainly he brings some genuine footy smarts and a cool head to a couple of players who need a sober ying to their raging yang

not only this. which I agree with 10,000 percent

but also whitehead plays a lot better and less frustrated as he is used to seeing things happen and doesnt feel the need to force the issue.
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Fensom, Wighton, Vaughan, Croker, Hodgson,
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:34 pm
I agree chaps.
Interestingly, Whitehead was actually 'at centre' for both tries down that edge. He was the last pass to Rapa to dive over in the corner, and he has the last pass for Rapa's long break before the kick to Austin.
Thanks to Aero for the Sig.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:34 pm
Northern Raider wrote:I can confidently say Whitehead is a better right edge back rower than he is a left centre.

Haha indeed
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....
Jason Croker
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 2:59 pm
Pigman wrote:He's important to the entire structure of the team, but yeah certainly he brings some genuine footy smarts and a cool head to a couple of players who need a sober ying to their raging yang

:lol: :lol: I'd prefer to crush him like an ant.
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 3:11 pm
Matt wrote:I agree chaps.
Interestingly, Whitehead was actually 'at centre' for both tries down that edge. He was the last pass to Rapa to dive over in the corner, and he has the last pass for Rapa's long break before the kick to Austin.

I noticed that, he was showing Leilua how to get it done yesterday.
He's a really classy footballer in attack and defense.
Both of our edges are brilliant.
Sezer, papalii, croker, cotric

Austin, whitehead, Leilua, rapana

And you link them with Hodgson, our big boys and wighton... it's rediculous.
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 3:54 pm
Hahaha "raging yang"
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 4:01 pm
What is to be done with Joey, though? I love him but he's gotta learn when to just take a tackle.

My fear is if Ricky tries to over coach him he loses that x-factor

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
J Toots
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 4:06 pm
CJR wrote:What is to be done with Joey, though? I love him but he's gotta learn when to just take a tackle.

My fear is if Ricky tries to over coach him he loses that x-factor

Frustrating as all get out!

Thing is, he started last year with a few 'over-efforts' resulting in similar silly plays as well, as the year went on though the decision making improved and it really came good.

Hope it's just early season jitters which will settle the more things click back into gear going forward. At this stage I wouldn't think Ricky will change too much unless it continues.

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Shannon Boyd
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:47 pm
We (and sticky) just need to accept that joey is a bit of a knucklehead but can break a game open. Just gotta take the good with the bad
Clinton Schifcofske

Favourite Player:
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:57 pm
I hope it was just a case of over excitement, and trying to get amongst the points with the boys when he game was not in the line. He will need to calm down a lot against a grinding side like the Broncos.
Simon Woolford

Favourite Player:
Jordan Rapana
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:59 pm
Pete Cash wrote:We (and sticky) just need to accept that joey is a bit of a knucklehead but can break a game open. Just gotta take the good with the bad
Exactly. For now it may be frustrating but in a few weeks when he's throwing defenders around like school children all the mistakes will be worth it
Ricky Stuart

Favourite Player:
Leipana
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:00 pm
So important. That flick pass opened up our season
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:37 pm
Coastalraider wrote:I hope it was just a case of over excitement, and trying to get amongst the points with the boys when he game was not in the line. He will need to calm down a lot against a grinding side like the Broncos.

Rapana and Leilua are similar in the way that they will always back themselves to put on a magic show, before rapana broke the line for wightonsntry yesterday he was running around like a lunatic; next play boom.
Joey will fix it quicker than last year.
What better game to break open than against the donkeys.
Glenn Lazarus
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:48 pm
Surley if Furner can teach Furgerson not to run himself into touch, Ricky can teach Joey to pick his moments better
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
Just sit back and reflect on how good the Whitehead and Hodgson signings are.

2 blokes doing big things over there that were not 'top 5' best known players over there. The story came out last year that Whitehead came here on an absolute pittance too. You really have to give credit where it's due to Stuart because during the Furner reign we were welcoming Bill Tupou and Joel Edwards.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ricky Stuart
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:10 pm
Ginga wrote:Surley if Furner can teach Furgerson not to run himself into touch, Ricky can teach Joey to pick his moments better

I just thin he hasn't quite got his timing right. He was still an asbolute beast when he was just thinking run **** hard.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 9:40 pm
I've been thinking this for ages. Whitehead is the unsung silent partner who is a critical ingredient for the success of Leipana.
Also consider the defensive issues down the right edge when he was playing left centre.
Would have been a different game if Whitehead stayed with Leipana and maybe Turner was brought into centre for Croker instead.
Last edited by woppadingo on March 21, 2017, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
Kenny Nagas
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 10:10 pm
Never harness BJ. Unleashed, he'll either kill it or completely stuff up but he'll not be worth having if he has to play safe and second-guess himself. Rapa is on fire so BJ will get there. He did score two big tries against the Cows when we needed them.
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 11:34 pm
I agree. I just hope someone is at least dropping the odd subtle hint at maybe picking his moments better

Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 6:26 am
I don't think Whitehead gets enough wraps around here. He has been tremendous since arriving at the club.
I don't think he has missed a minute of footy since he has played for us. He is a machine.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Brett Mullins

Favourite Player:
chicka
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 6:27 am
I personally think BJ DOES need to pull his head in a little bit. It's demeaning to the bloke to assume he can't be expected to make adult decisions and still play good footy. I still want him playing high risk footy, I just think he's had it dialled up to 11 this year and he's forcing it. At his best last year he had it set to 9 most of the time and when it's ready to creep up to 11 he won't have to force it.

I think he's trying to be bigger & better than last year- when really all he needs to do is back up last year with more of the same, show some consistency and there's no way anyone could leave him out of any team.

He's shooting himself in the foot and reinforcing all his negatives at the moment. Spend 2 games where he just runs hard, tackles hard and doesn't worry about offloading (he'll probably throw 3 anyway just out of habit or it'll be so on he has to throw it) just get in rhythm.
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 7:14 am
Good post BadnMean
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Matt Rua
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 7:38 am
We have the best two backrowers playing the game..that's right everybody.

Whitehead is a gem, Papa is pure beast.
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment
Boogs 2014 Runner Up 'Obsession of the year' (can't recall who won)
RIP green94 2010-2015

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 3:00 pm
Leilua just needs to be reminded to be a bit more selective in his off loads. Not a huge change to his game. A few more weeks with the right advice and he will find the balance, and those passes will start sticking again.

Brett Mullins
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 3:00 pm
Leilua just needs to be reminded to be a bit more selective in his off loads. Not a huge change to his game. A few more weeks with the right advice and he will find the balance, and those passes will start sticking again.
Dean Lance
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 5:11 pm
And in threads that should be subtitled "The Bloody Obvious"........

Bit of a no brainer - however I like the discussion about Joey and his brain snaps.

Simply - and this needs to be achieved more in rugby league than otherwise - take the good with the bad and let the guy play football.

The only thing that needs to be coached is - if you make an error, you make up for it.

He's done that this year. He did it against the Tigers. He made a bunch of solid hit ups out of his own 20 on the weekend to repay the team when he had a few little silly moments.
You never want a guy like this to go in his shell. When he's good - he's very very good. When he's bad - he tries to make up for it.

Love him. Never change. Even when I abuse him from the bleachers and tell him he needs to change.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 5:16 pm
I do generally agree with the mentality of taking the good with the bad, especially when the the guy is "on"

Unfortunately Beej isn't on right now, he's still being an absolute monster when he carries the ball and id like to see him dial it back just A LITTLE bit and get back to being a dominant ball runner and let his offload and ball playing work its way back off the strength of that

But ultimately if he feels there is a play to be made and he thinks he can make it, you do have to give a guy like him the freedom to play what he sees and feels
Ruben Wiki
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 5:17 pm
Love4Noa wrote:Love him. Never change. Even when I abuse him from the bleachers and tell him he needs to change.

Peter Jackson
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 7:52 pm
At some point last year, before we went on the run, BJ said that Sticky had told him that there's a difference between a chance and an opportunity - he's happy for BJ to try things when there's an opportunity there, but wanted him to reign it in when it was only a chance. I reckon he'll be back to his best really soon, think his errors at the moment are just a symptom of early season nerves / excitement.

As has been pointed out, he's really going out of his way to make up for the mistakes as well.
Laurie Daley

Favourite Player:
Blake Austin
PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 7:57 pm
gangrenous wrote:
Love4Noa wrote:Love him. Never change. Even when I abuse him from the bleachers and tell him he needs to change.

Its a great quote and rings very true with Beej :lol:
Next

Return to Canberra Raiders