Is this a reference to Ricky and the Raiders?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:09 pm
Coach class to England

Which two assistant coaches from the one NRL club are pitching up for the same gig in England? It's not a great endorsement for the head coach, whose team has been a big disappointment this season.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... xc0a5.html

The most disappointing clubs with "expectations" are us and Penrith, throw in New Zealand Warriors (with their spine).

But maybe not a bad thing as Dean Pay hasn't really fixed our defence.
David Furner
Favourite Player:
Royce Hunt
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:11 pm
It doesn't even say which gig it actually is. I sincerely doubt there's anything to it, and if there is I don't think it's about us.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:11 pm
Our defence has been fine as far as conceding points imo.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:16 pm
Pay won't be going to the ESL
He's not far away from getting the Bulldogs gig
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:25 pm
It won't happen but I would like to see someone like Cooper Cronk be our Assistant Coach. He was brought up in the Storm winning culture environment, and would be great for our halves.

David Grant
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:30 pm
Apart from Pay, would mick crawley be a head coach?

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Don Furner
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:37 pm
Assistant coaches look for head coaching positions all the time. I'd be surprised if assistant coaches all over the NRL weren't looking for head coaching jobs in the ESL.

I did see "The Lurker" report the same, explicitly saying it is Canberra. He also said there are three assistant coaches and there are only two. http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/l ... 9/slide/11

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:38 pm
Bulldogs or Warriors....

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:41 pm
Dogs

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:47 pm
fulivai wrote:Apart from Pay, would mick crawley be a head coach?

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Admittedly it was a few years ago and things can change but I recall when he signed on to come here there being a quote from him saying he has no interest in being a HC
Seemed like a guy who knew his role and was perfectly comfortable with it

Maybe Pay goes for 1-2 years to get experience as a HC, but the dogs job is there for him when they finally depart from Hasler. And sometimes experience hurts you. If he goes over there and stinks maybe he never gets a HC gig
If he's smart he waits out this Hasler-Dogs fiasco imo
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR....

Glenn Lazarus

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:51 pm
I agree with you the journalist made the wrong conclusion about it not being a positive endorsement on the head coach if they seek to apply for other head coach positions.

There seems to be a lot of rumors lately of discontent within the club by the media.

Actually, I think the media has been lenient on our performances, as well as Ricky. Read the Canberra Times and they always sugar coat, getting an ex-player like Belcher, Roach etc saying how great we are and our performances will come.

Same with New Zealand and Kearney- they have had a bad year with all that talent but no media spotlight

Jason Taylor copped it worse

Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Dane Tilse
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 10:56 pm
Actually thinking about it my money is on souths

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Nick Cotric
PostPosted: July 15, 2017, 11:03 pm
I reject the idea in full they assistants seeking promotion is a sign of troubles anyways

I mean maybe our assistants see a sinking ship and are abandoning said ship but they could also... I dunno... be humans who want to progress their own careers? Haha
Both our guys are seasoned assistants who probably, rightly or wrongly, feel they are ready for their shot. In every other sport, nay industry, if your assistants in line for promotions elsewhere it usually means you're doing a good job
David Furner
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 1:00 am
In this case a cross code reference is entirely relevant. About 6 (or so, help me out here Raidersfan) assistant coaches from Hawthorn are now head coaches at other clubs. Does this mean that Clarkson is a pain? Well yes, but he can still coach better than most. In fact, having a vast number of assistants who are good enough to step up is a sign of a good head coach.

Still I doubt very much that this refers to the Raiders.

Ken Nagas

Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 5:53 am
gangrenous wrote:Our defence has been fine as far as conceding points imo.

We are 1 try a game away from being contenders. I remember posting all the premiers for the past 15 years or so with the exception of North Qld allowed 16 points or less during the season. North Qld were 18 or so. We are currently at just over 20 points per game. Make that 1 less try per game and we are sitting close to the top of the ladder.

Bad ball control leading to pressure or just bad d, either way we are slightly off being premiers by giving up too many points.

David Furner

Favourite Player:
Ken Nagas
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 8:32 am
The Lurker seems pretty much certain it's about the Raiders lol... Either way something is definitely wrong behind close doors, It's certainly reflecting in our performances on the field. If any of the smoke lately is true i wonder what could have gone so wrong so quick ?
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player:
Brett Mullins
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 8:45 am
McFadden at the Warriors seems likely. I don't know any of the other warriors coaches but being an assistant to Kearney must be awful.
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player:
Jarrod Croker, Josh Hodgson
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 8:48 am
greeneyed wrote:Assistant coaches look for head coaching positions all the time. I'd be surprised if assistant coaches all over the NRL weren't looking for head coaching jobs in the ESL.

I did see "The Lurker" report the same, explicitly saying it is Canberra. He also said there are three assistant coaches and there are only two. http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/l ... 9/slide/11

I was about to post something similar to this.

Assistant coaches need to be looking for head coaching roles as part of their development
And good old "Lurk" seems to have it in for us lately

Clinton Schifcofske
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 9:00 am
I actually think it's the Rabbitohs. I know furner had put his hand up for another role in the UK that a former roosters assistant got. Not sure who their other assistant is but they would certainly fit the 'big disappointment' tag
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 9:14 am
kona_dream wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Our defence has been fine as far as conceding points imo.

We are 1 try a game away from being contenders. I remember posting all the premiers for the past 15 years or so with the exception of North Qld allowed 16 points or less during the season. North Qld were 18 or so. We are currently at just over 20 points per game. Make that 1 less try per game and we are sitting close to the top of the ladder.

Bad ball control leading to pressure or just bad d, either way we are slightly off being premiers by giving up too many points.

Your last paragraph is along my line of thinking. I don't think there's anything wrong with the rate at which we leak points. It's just that we hand over so much territory and possession it becomes a problem. Address the possession and territory and you shouldn't need to do much to the structure.
Peter Jackson

Favourite Player:
Laurie Daley
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 4:32 pm
Knowing which ESL team the coaching gig is with could narrow the field.

If it's one of the heavyweights, then you'd understand why a former head coach like Furner might go for it. He played for Leeds, so if that was the team, he'd think he was in with strong chance.

If it's a team that's on the cusp of relegation, it would be a coach who might reckon he's got nothing to lose and can claim that he didn't have the players to do anything.
Apologies for occasionally weird posts. I use voice recognition.
Gary Belcher
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 6:39 pm
Both Steve McNamara and McFadden were rumoured to have been in the running for the Catalans job but that is old news as McNamara got the gig a couple of weeks ago

Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player:
David Furner
PostPosted: July 16, 2017, 9:29 pm
FROG wrote:I actually think it's the Rabbitohs. I know furner had put his hand up for another role in the UK that a former roosters assistant got. Not sure who their other assistant is but they would certainly fit the 'big disappointment' tag

Anthony Siebold Froggy. Great up and coming coach, has been head coach in Qld cup as well as assistant to Bellamy in Melbourne. The brains behind Queenslands great origin win.

Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player:
David Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 7:13 pm
Stagtime wrote:
FROG wrote:I actually think it's the Rabbitohs. I know furner had put his hand up for another role in the UK that a former roosters assistant got. Not sure who their other assistant is but they would certainly fit the 'big disappointment' tag

Anthony Siebold Froggy. Great up and coming coach, has been head coach in Qld cup as well as assistant to Bellamy in Melbourne. The brains behind Queenslands great origin win.

Looks like Anthony Siebold to takeover from Maguire at Souths (nrl360).
Don Furner
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 8:03 pm
Is a stint playing at Canberra in the 90s compulsory before applying for a NRL coaching position??

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.

Gary Belcher
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 9:06 pm
T_R wrote:Is a stint playing at Canberra in the 90s compulsory before applying for a NRL coaching position??

Tim Sheens certainly inspired a whole bunch of players from that era into coaching. If only we'd clung to Bellamy. Ah well, I'll be cheering for Ricky 'Ref's Fault' Stuart again next year.
Mal Meninga

Favourite Player:
Luke Turner
PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 10:26 pm
Stagtime wrote:
Stagtime wrote:

Looks like Anthony Siebold to takeover from Maguire at Souths (nrl360).

That's a shame, if Ricky didn't work out next year he would've been my pick to try.
"My own opinion is enough for me and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time, and anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass" Christopher Hitchens
Don Furner
Favourite Player:
Mal Meninga
PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 9:05 am
RedRaider wrote:
T_R wrote:Is a stint playing at Canberra in the 90s compulsory before applying for a NRL coaching position??

Tim Sheens certainly inspired a whole bunch of players from that era into coaching. If only we'd clung to Bellamy. Ah well, I'll be cheering for Ricky 'Ref's Fault' Stuart again next year.

I think Paul McGregor, Maguire and Paul Green blamed the refs more often than stick. Hell, they all do except you know who

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Return to Canberra Raiders